Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sat April 16th 7.25PM @ MCG - Team Post #765

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of the footy shows during the week talked about how Sydney have surged by introducing young players and GWS bounced back after being forced to play youngsters. That enthusiasm can really help a team. Look at the hunger and enthusiasm displayed by Cottrell and Parks. I want to see Ramsay and I want Philp to get another run after a couple more conditioning games under his belt.

One of the footy shows during the week talked about how Sydney have surged by introducing young players and GWS bounced back after being forced to play youngsters. That enthusiasm can really help a team. Look at the hunger and enthusiasm displayed by Cottrell and Parks. I want to see Ramsay and I want Philp to get another run after a couple more conditioning games under his belt.

Reckon most bought into the rebuild and expected to see this kind of natural progression at Carlton from our youngsters.
The philosophy seemed to change when the change took place.
The conservative, stodgy, “safe” Carlton we have now is disappointing and perhaps a mirror image of our leadership.
We seem to have stalled and yes, injuries have slaughtered us but what’s going on there !!

Our Reserves players need to have put in more than 2 good games to replace a player in our 'First' squad. It should be reward for consistent high levels of effort.
Clearly out of form players need to be replaced and those coming back from injury should not be a straight up walk in either, manage them through the VFL first.
Those players coming into the first side should be given a block of games to settle into the tempo of the game.

I found interesting on SEN, Teague said we may not get the result this week but then very quickly said if we play well he expects us to get the win.

Think he knew he shouldn't have initially gone with a loss is acceptable approach.

Good save by Teague... Progress.

For those who know more about Ramsay than I do, could he play on a wing?

Part of Dow’s problems (I emphasise the word “part”) is that by the time you have Cripps, Curnow, Walsh, Williams, and Fogart going through the centre, there is no space for him, and he doesn’t appear to have the versatility to play other positions.

Wing is a different story though, where we have Setterfield horribly out of form, and Newnes who probably doesn’t do enough offensively or defensively.

I think Ramsay needs another good game before being considered, but could he slot on a wing?

Teague on SEN this morning "We may not get the result we want" re: Saturday Night

Is this club actually serious?

I think he just means that we might have 28 players on the injury list by Saturday night and we won’t be able to field a side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teague on SEN this morning "We may not get the result we want" re: Saturday Night

Is this club actually serious?

Carlton hosts Port Adelaide at the MCG on Saturday night and Teague is confident the Blues will take it up to the reigning minor premier.

"I think this is something our group needs to handle. We may not get the result, but we'll go out there, play the way we want to play and see where we're at,” he said.

"We feel if we play our way with intent and conviction, we will win the game."

I don't think Dow is being played out of position. To my eye he was onball a lot and that is his spot. Maybe he is finding it hard to win the ball when Cripps, Curnow and to a lesser extent Walsh are in there gobbling it up.

I don't think his time is up full stop period but I think it might be for now, a stint in the VFL must be close. His ball handling has gotten progressively worse the last 2 or 3 games, which is a sign of a drop in confidence.
Agreed. He's only not on the ball at centre bounces, every other ball up situation he's on ball. The suggestion he's being played on a wing or generally out of position is overblown.

Part of Dow’s problems (I emphasise the word “part”) is that by the time you have Cripps, Curnow, Walsh, Williams, and Fogart going through the centre, there is no space for him, and he doesn’t appear to have the versatility to play other positions.

Wing is a different story though, where we have Setterfield horribly out of form, and Newnes who probably doesn’t do enough offensively or defensively.

I think Ramsay needs another good game before being considered, but could he slot on a wing?

Perfect attributes for the wing. If he comes in this week, I would play him on Amon

Agreed. He's only not on the ball at centre bounces, every other ball up situation he's on ball. The suggestion he's being played on a wing or generally out of position is overblown.
I've been to 3 games live this year and the positioning he is taking on the field often makes it hard for him to get into the game. He needs to learn how to get some more cheap possessions like most fielders do.

He does now look down on confidence, I'd be non fussed either way if he was drooped or given another go.

Newnes has been extremely solid this year. No knocks from me offensively or defensively.

One can interpret what Teague said in a number of ways - the most generous being an honest " we will see where we are at" - a kind of challenge to the playing group he is running with atm

the way to beat more fancied teams is to out-mongrel them - if Teague keeps playing snowflakes - he is pretty much determining the outcome of games before a ball is even bounced.

whichever side really wants it more will win this one - Port don't have Carlton covered in every area and they too have their injuries - what they do have is Boak and Wines with two rucks against Pittonet - driving the ball through to a decent forward line ...

I'm still pizzed orf about losing to Collingwood - that loss exposed the weakness of Carlton - and that is lack of imagination on the part of coach and MC.

What plan with Teague come up with to nullify Port's strengths is what I will be focusing on - I don't think it is the players who lose this or any other game in 2021 it is the coach and his staff AFAIC. Teague has a lot of talent and depth to call on as far as running players go - if he continues to reward poor performances and ignore alternatives - it is all on him.

Oh and one final thought - Harry if you want the big bucks you have to stand up in the big games - grow up lad - same message to McGovern and Williams.

I found interesting on SEN, Teague said we may not get the result this week but then very quickly said if we play well he expects us to get the win.

Think he knew he shouldn't have initially gone with a loss is acceptable approach.

Good save by Teague... Progress.
I’m sorry but his first negative take on the outcome was unforgivable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back