Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sat April 16th 7.25PM @ MCG - Team Post #765

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not either or, there's an in between.

Personally I don't like him saying in essence we'll try our best but maybe we won't get the result, even if he does follow it up by saying we think we'll win if we do what we want to.

He's already given himself that qualifier in case of a loss, which isn't what I want to hear from my coach at all.

Agree - as supporters, we know that we may not get the result...but I don’t want the ******* head coach admitting as much.

I'm none the wiser but thanks for trying mate.
I haven't listened to the full interview, only read the summary article, but there didn't seem to be much there except a fairly positive comment saying he was getting some consistency together and is thereabouts for selection.

You are drawing a long bow. Let's not dwell on the past, as it's not an indicator of where this will eventuate

You know I have concerns, but none that I believe will effect this group to decline

Teams are made up of individuals and each individual has to do their job in order to make the job of their team mates doable and allow for match winners to have a chance at doing that too. Teague carries very weak links - and this has compounding negative effects on the 'group' - I see it in every game. "Decline "is an interesting word - I have had to manage sustainable performance in my teams for decades - I am very very sensitive to small twitch indicators - maybe too sensitive. In my experience as soon as a level of comfort is achieved - you are in serious danger - because every human being aspires to comfort - it is just the way we are made. the way I manage for this is to reset each quarter. Basically everyone knows I don't give a flying *uck about the past quarter/year/years- and I measure and reward - the now with just a tad of breathing room. It is a fair and sustainable system and my employees love it - because it is fair and transparent. I cut underperformers ruthlessly - no ifs buts or maybes - all fact-based - underperform and you get a tight reign under perform again and you are OUT of the A team.

Good managers make sure that comfort is never there - knowing how to push hard without offending is what good management is - that and being true to your word.

My favourite coaches are quick to dump players out of form - for the sake of the team and for the sake of being fair to alternative players in good form. The doggies coach is the best at it and I think even Hardwick is good at this aspect as well.

these blokes keep their best 22 'fresh' with promotion demotion of role players - always getting the best out of younger players - Hinkley has woken up to this as well.

I think Teague is way too conservative - with the wrong things.

Teams are made up of individuals and each individual has to do their job in order to make the job of their team mates doable and allow for match winners to have a chance at doing that too. Teague carries very weak links - and this has compounding negative effects on the 'group' - I see it in every game. "Decline "is an interesting word - I have had to manage sustainable performance in my teams for decades - I am very very sensitive to small twitch indicators - maybe too sensitive. In my experience as soon as a level of comfort is achieved - you are in serious danger - because every human being aspires to comfort - it is just the way we are made. the way I manage for this is to reset each quarter. Basically everyone knows I don't give a flying *uck about the past quarter/year/years- and I measure and reward - the now with just a tad of breathing room. It is a fair and sustainable system and my employees love it - because it is fair and transparent. I cut underperformers ruthlessly - no ifs buts or maybes - all fact-based - underperform and you get a tight reign under perform again and you are OUT of the A team.

Good managers make sure that comfort is never there - knowing how to push hard without offending is what good management is - that and being true to your word.

My favourite coaches are quick to dump players out of form - for the sake of the team and for the sake of being fair to alternative players in good form. The doggies coach is the best at it and I think even Hardwick is good at this aspect as well.

these blokes keep their best 22 'fresh' with promotion demotion of role players - always getting the best out of younger players - Hinkley has woken up to this as well.

I think Teague is way too conservative - with the wrong things.
Agree completely with the values expressed here. I think the difficulty is that when Teague took over we had no integrated 2’s with the same system to be confident to swap players in and out confidently to play specific roles. As well as not having the personnel, game plan a shambles and a club wide confidence deficiency. Hanging particularly on our youngsters. So Teague went to our older heads to get the job done to then build confidence. But what happens now? Can we trust our youngsters to bring good energy and usurp our underperformers and at the same time risk losing games/ confidence because of all our old wounds and sensitivities. Is such a catch 22. We’re on a knifes edge.

I am still living in the 'hope' space as a CFC supporter.

I go into every game hoping we play well (for the whole game), I am hoping that certain players step up, I am hoping the other team miss set shots, I am hoping we have THE game that turns it all around, I am hoping we hold our tackles and I could go on and on.

When was the last time you felt that instead of hoping, you knew? For mine, it must have been in that 2010/11 period where we were a decent side. Surely there was a game or two in there somewhere. Fev made me feel that way.

Deep down, I don't think we can win against Port, that is my gut feeling but again, I am hoping we can.

I guess I just want to feel like a true Carlton supporter again and get that confidence back. I want to trust again and stop hoping. This is why I can understand the frustration with Teague and his comments, even if its a bit of an over reaction.

There is a feeling of too much hope and not enough belief and production on game day. What an opportunity to turn that around against Port and start changing the narrative.

Agree completely with the values expressed here. I think the difficulty is that when Teague took over we had no integrated 2’s with the same system to be confident to swap players in and out confidently to play specific roles. As well as not having the personnel, game plan a shambles and a club wide confidence deficiency. Hanging particularly on our youngsters. So Teague went to our older heads to get the job done to then build confidence. But what happens now? Can we trust our youngsters to bring good energy and usurp our underperformers and at the same time risk losing games/ confidence because of all our old wounds and sensitivities. Is such a catch 22. We’re on a knifes edge.

Nailed it.

and the way forward is very very simple - do not accept below-par game performances and start rotating through alternatives to make it a genuine contest for positions - you have to implement a contest. Until you give a bloke an opportunity - you don't get to see them perform.

Teague knew the situation in pre-season when he stated "a few players will be disappointed in not playing as they will think that they are starting players" but that is good for Carlton because we will have genuine competition for spots...."

well bring on the competition - because all I've seen to date is injury is the only reason to change - which is an extremely poor motivator for the list.

Doesn't guarantee success but at least you are managing for it.

Nailed it.

and the way forward is very very simple - do not accept below-par game performances and start rotating through alternatives to make it a genuine contest for positions - you have to implement a contest. Until you give a bloke an opportunity - you don't get to see them perform.

Teague knew the situation in pre-season when he stated "a few players will be disappointed in not playing as they will think that they are starting players" but that is good for Carlton because we will have genuine competition for spots...."

well bring on the competition - because all I've seen to date is injury is the only reason to change - which is an extremely poor motivator for the list.

This ...
Levi Dow and Setters the prime examples all three should still be in the twos following sub par efforts and replacements given the opportunity ...

Some people are so prissy on this site. Fancy trying to create something out of Teague's comments.

I appear to be different than most on here. I think that we have worked hard on our tempo the last couple of weeks and made a few tweaks as the kamikaze "we are better than you" of the first two weeks was only ever going to end in tears.

I think that we are a very very strong chance of winning this week. Clearly there are some variables (e.g. early injuries) but I am surprised that we are not favorites (currently $2.12 v $1.73). I think that we are on the way up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nailed it.

Did Parks get selected because of injury??

I go into every game hoping we play well (for the whole game), I am hoping that certain players step up, I am hoping the other team miss set shots, I am hoping we have THE game that turns it all around, I am hoping we hold our tackles and I could go on and on.

When was the last time you felt that instead of hoping, you knew? For mine, it must have been in that 2010/11 period where we were a decent side. Surely there was a game or two in there somewhere. Fev made me feel that way.

Deep down, I don't think we can win against Port, that is my gut feeling but again, I am hoping we can.

I guess I just want to feel like a true Carlton supporter again and get that confidence back. I want to trust again and stop hoping. This is why I can understand the frustration with Teague and his comments, even if its a bit of an over reaction.

There is a feeling of too much hope and not enough belief and production on game day. What an opportunity to turn that around against Port and start changing the narrative.

I felt this on a spiritual level.

Nobody ... so bring in a runner and get inventive ... or would you prefer the status quo of zilch?
The status quo is consecutive wins. Imagine the melts on here if Pitto got injured, Jones had to ruck all day, Charlie got off the chain and kicked 8 whilst being marked by the Plow.
People are losing their minds because Teague admitted that there was a possibility that we might not win.

No - Due to Williamson lack of form. Case made.

Exactly, people need to come to terms with the fact maybe the replacement waiting in the reserves is not actually a better selection than the already picked player. I'll back those working inside the club to have a better grasp on this than the constant "sky is falling whingers" on BigFooty.

I was at games at end of 2020, and there were some games where I questioned either effort or focus. Head in hands stuff... Was at the Sun's game, and whilst there were times I shook my head, side looked a lot better. I think it's the sum of the parts such as Fogerty plus Parks plus Cottrell plus all the others, but side looked better. Am more confident of a win over Port as long as 4 Quarter effort and focus is there....

Fair dinkum, our supporters are obviously way too scarred. I can count on my fingers the amount of times in the last decade weve won two in a row, and all everybody is doing is being negative. Port at the G, in a game that actually means something. I can't ******* wait, lets get around the boys, and hopefully they will make a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back