AFL Toast Rnd 5: Win against the Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

So who else reckons they’ll omit Phillips next week?

depends what photos TBC decides to pull out. He obviously has a set which he has used to keep in the team for the last few years.

The most pleasing aspect for me was the way the team turned around the runaway train of momentum midway through the first. To do that of their own accord when Collingwood were playing like that one time when we kicked like a record first qtr score against The Suns is like a real tribute to the mentality being forged by the coaching staff.

Last edited:
The Pies board in a nutshell.

Cox is sh*t
Grundy crap
Midfield poor
Sack Bucks
I dunno about all that, he did pretty well for my SuperCoach...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully this is the start of us becoming a serious club again.

Made the hard call on TBC, not sure why it was hard but apparently it was. Should never have picked in round 1 on the back of an interrupted pre-season. That it took this long is nothing less than baffling. Phillips just cracked in all night and you watched it and thought....this is what players are supposed to do.

Zaka has to be next to go with Merrett returning. Ham wants a spot, he runs both ways and plays with intent - he stays. Keep playing guys like Phillips and Hibberd - make effort a non-negotiable criteria for selection.

i’m not really into stats and in depth analysis bit what i found most striking about tonight’s game was it was so different to the s**t show we served up last week.

we should probably do more of tonight’s stuff maybe.

i’m not really into stats and in depth analysis bit what i found most striking about tonight’s game was it was so different to the sh*t show we served up last week.

we should probably do more of tonight’s stuff maybe.
Last week was dogshit, but it was always gonna be dogshit, we had an unplanned bye after 2.5 months out of the game and weren’t allowed to train for like 3 days in the build up to a match.

Geez that was a great match in so many ways.

Phillips was immense, competed and competed and just kept impacting around the ground. For so long we haven't had a ruck that is willing to put in second efforts. It was super noticeable.
Old man Hooker turned back the clock today. I've been calling for him to play forward but my goodness he played an epic game today. Cox didn't have a touch til the 4th quarter and finished the game with 2 handballs no goals. Also came across and beat Grundy a few times and anyone else that was near him for good measure.
Shiel played another cracking game. He's stepped up a level since last year. Really lead our midfield in a big way.
Stringer played his best game for us. He's kicked more goals before but 7 tackles was a huge effort from him.
Tippa was finally back to his defensive best. Just got stuck into everything.
Ridley is something special in the making. Looked like he played on De Goey for at least parts of the match and did a very good job. In fact Ridley seems hard to beat for smaller players full stop because he is 195cm and very agile. As posted by someone else earlier, that kick he did in the last quarter when we were under the pump was a thing of beauty. It was bold and skillful and turned the game back in our favour.
McGrath is like mini-Shiel or young Shiel. Good game from him and some of his defensive acts were terrific. When he's down in the backline as a midfielder or not, he's got incredible defensive instincts. Really the only thing he needs to work on is making his ball use count for more.
Loved young Ham and the instructions he clearly had which you can definitely tell were to take the game on at every opportunity. This is going to sound weird but he is not only quick but he covers the ground very efficiently in a way that makes him incredibly hard to run down once he's taken a few strides. I might be alone but I like guys that are willing to run around the guy on the mark when slightly out of range from a shot on goal.

In terms of changes for next week:
Ins: McKenna, Merrett
Outs: Laverde, Zaharakis (surely his game today will have sealed his fate).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back