AFL Toast Rnd 5: Win against the Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Ham & Snelling have big 2nd halves after shaky starts. Phillips competitiveness is exactly what we knew we’d get & we’re a 2-3 goal better side because of it.....honestly if they play Bellchambers again barring injury I’ll just abt give it away for the year.

Zaka weekly selection is becoming embarrassing now. Anyone can see he’s cooked & I’ll be furious if he’s spared for Hibberd when Zerrett returns next week.

Jake was walking around in rooms post game so at worst it might be a week...he’s got 8 days in any case to get up for Norf.

Changes will be interesting. I’d probably go:

In: Merrett, McKenna, Francis
Out: Zaharakis, Laverde, Gleeson

Changes will be interesting. I’d probably go:

In: Merrett, McKenna, Francis
Out: Zaharakis, Laverde, Gleeson
Harsh on Gleeson. Had a really good second half.

Yeah let's drop Laverde because it was a perfect night for key forwards 🙄
He was terrible though, played with little effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skill vs effort and desire. Saw a number of boys tonight that don't have that "A" grade skill. What they did have though was a desire to compete and win the ball.

Phillips a perfect example (not alone though).. Second efforts couldn't be questioned. That being said, I doubt we have seen the last of TBC. Do the coaches rate effort or tap outs? On recent performances vs what i saw tonight, give me Phillips. Fitness may be a factor though, he may need a rest.

Well done boys, surprised me. Been half naked for a while, almost time to find the toilet.

Essendon coaching starting to make sense... we are playing players in their natural positions and reaping the rewards.
As Snelling is played a small forward, he is naturally a midfielder, and looked really dangerous with runs through the midfield, which fuelled his forward pressure. Similarly, ham was played as a small forward last week to little effect.. much better on a Wing where he can play his natural game.
still don’t understand why we don’t play parish in the midfield, his 5 or so minutes there were really really good I thought, whereas Langford was a liability, as usual. The dude is scared of the ball. I hate seeing it, drives me nuts. If he has a position In our best 22, I Reckon it’s as a half forward/ link up player, but still don’t think he deserves to be in our team with the quality on the sidelines. He just doesn’t go for the ball.
Keep Hibberd in the team, give him a few games I reckon, and play him in the guts. He was good enough I think.

out: zaharakis, laverde, Gleeson/Langford (both harsh)

in:merrett, McKenna, francis

this game was one of the most promising I’ve seen as an essendon fan, largely because we actually;
-won the 50/50 balls (Against an elite midfield, and missing merrett). We didn’t just build off half back, which is unsustainable, we actually won the midfield
-had a genuine 4 quarter effort
-trusted the system
-everyone played their role, and brought intensity
-kids starting to genuinely shine (ridley, mcgrath etc)
-beat a good side
-never lost faith

go Bombers #flagdons

With Stringer in the moon-boot you'd think he's out. Surely whatever blackmail material Zaka has on the coaches room expires tonight. Needs to be dropped. Laverde was useless again. Three clear outs. Bring in Zerrett, McKenna and Ned Cahill to debut up forward to slot straight into the forward structure. Give Francis another week to rest up before bringing him in (4 changes seems too drastic after a win).

In: Merrett, McKenna, Cahill
Out: Zaharakis, Laverde, Stringer (inj.)

On Parish and i might be wrong but i am getting the impression the reason why he is playing forward is because he is still building his tank to enable him to play out a whole match in the middle.
That’s the biggest cop out. The quarters are 20% shorter for 1, so there would be no reason why he can’t currently run out a game in the midfield, when last year he played on ball in a few games and dominated (Dreamtime last year). It’s obvious that they prefer others in there, whether it’s stringer at the centre bounce, langford sitting on someone or dev. It’s almost like they forget that he’s playing and give him midfield minutes late in the game. He also regularly has one of the lowest TOG, so if they were trying to build his tank they wouldn’t be sitting him on the pine. He’d be playing long stints on the ground as a high half forward.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back