AFL Toast Rnd 6: 14 Point Win against Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

An ugly root is still a root, you just don't brag to your mates about it.

So, this game felt the same. A win is a win, just one we shouldm brag about. From an at the ground perspective, without bragging.

An early dominance where we couldn't convert, really set the night. Let them have a sniff and stayed that way all night.

Zaka...well, if there was nothing more certain, after copping it all week, he was bound to get a heap of touches and kick a few. Just to solidify his position for the next month of single digit touches and keep his spot to ensure someone like Cahill is kept out of the side.

Langford good with a couple and Tippa worked his way into it. Lav...a work in progress. Smack, our only real marking, undisciplined forward.

Hooker, Hurls solid. Brown had minimal impact on the game. Riddles was superb, seemed to be everywhere and he is our future down back. Saad also solid across half back and I really liked Fantasia, gave us a lot of run at times. Connor, well I probably confused him with Hooker at times (that ******* beard), but given time, he'll be back to the Irishman we know.

Midfield, Parish, McGrath were great, Phillips didn't seem to win the tap outs but is more competitive that TBC around the contest. I felt that we struggled around the clearances, don't know what the stats say, but felt they were stronger at times.

Love Devs endeavour and Shiels, hope he doesnt cop a week for his bump, that will hurt.

Really struggled for marking power down forward. When we did have a clear lead we couldn't hold the mark. Forward line was extremely incohesive at times. We need a permanent forward target. Smack is the only truly marking forward and when he is in the ruck, we have diddly squat. Lav, ineffective IMO as a leading forward.

Ham was great on the wing. Really like this kid and give him a couple of more preseason and we will have a definite star.

Glad to take the 4 points, but FMD, we really need that permanent stay at home marking forward.

Think we will struggle next week, mainly due to the forward line, can't see a permanent winner there.

Last edited:
Ground out the win. Young mids stood up and took control. Backs group is solid and organized.
you can see the impact Caracella system is making with having Fantasia McKenna ham hibberd be the connectors and all covering back stages.
as our clearance game improves and some players come back think we will be tough to beat.

is Francis now trade bait with Ridley? Ask Adelaide for a top pick.

1594489897100.png NO ONE CAN TAKE THE RIDDLER! Franga maybe...... RIDDLER STAYS! NO QUESTION!

We are consistently sticking tackles for the first in recent memory. It’s making a huge difference. Hooker and Hurley suddenly look less ancient down back thanks to some midfield protection.

Also Feels like we are keeping the ball in our forward half for more extended periods - teams aren’t getting us on the slingshot as frequently.

Unpopular opinion, but I find the constant "lol we have no rivalry with North" and "North are irrelevant" thing kinda cringeworthy. Not sure what that's trying to achieve. We talk about North way too much for it to be completely irrelevant.
It's the end result of the antagonism that people find funny I think, like Snake Baker.

It will be repetitive as far as my comments go but this is what we will get this year. Scrappy close games. When our pressure is good we can win and if it falls away then we are in trouble. One plus side for me is we are working towards being a one in all in side. One bloke gets tagged out so two others step up. It is not about players having 30 possessions but more about 4 or 5 midfielders having 20.
Obviously we are going to have our issues with marking targets but there is not a lot we can do about that.

We are consistently sticking tackles for the first in recent memory. It’s making a huge difference. Hooker and Hurley suddenly look less ancient down back thanks to some midfield protection.

Also Feels like we are keeping the ball in our forward half for more extended periods - teams aren’t getting us on the slingshot as frequently.

Like you I am really happy to see it given I have been banging on about this stuff for over 10 seasons.

Unpopular opinion, but I find the constant "lol we have no rivalry with North" and "North are irrelevant" thing kinda cringeworthy. Not sure what that's trying to achieve. We talk about North way too much for it to be completely irrelevant.

We do it cause its hilarious, it really grinds their gears and we get posts like this from them for the

In regards to a rivalry, Every club should rival these *******s. They are biggest scumbag club with the biggiest ******* supporters in the entire afl, yes, worse than freo collingwood and Hawthorn combined. Of course they dont see it as a rivalry, but everyone hates these campaigners!

Their is a slight rivalry due to sheedy marsh mellow thing and our locations in Melbourne but they build it up as something super important.

Snelling is really growing on me. Can see why he was putting up huge numbers in the SANFL.

Loved Zaharakis' performance.

Hooker and Hurley just superb for the second week in a row. Taking a lot of pressure off the likes of Ridley so he can do his thing.
Yeah I like Snelling. Plays like a high half forward/mid and really gets involved. He's a little nugget. If he can start kicking some goals he'll be a selection headache later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon North picked Campbell because they wanted to force us to leave Hooker in defence for height, but it ended up playing into our hands.

Used to happen with Fletcher too and would backfire to such a degree that commentators thought he was playing as the loose man when instead it was because he knew he could sag off them.

Nice to wake up with the 4 points safely banked. A quick examination of the ladder though shows the teams that we have beaten this year are not much chop. If the Melb game had of gone ahead....5 of our 6 games have been against teams ranked 13 to 17th. Collingwood is the only win of real merit. I know in the recent past we might of dropped one or two more of these...so that's positive I guess.

It will be interesting to see if we will get exposed or are able to continue with momentum.

How was the bias in the telecast last night? Simpkin drops Smith with a punch to the guys, a split second replay where Brayshaw says "Shiel catapulted him into him". No further replays.

When Shiel incident happened. They backed over and over and over again.

Same with Merrett the week before.

We are getting crucified

Been a few years since I've been here, since Hepple got injured alot of players have stepped up! McGrath has become the Mop up mistakes of our players player which I thought Hepple was the one to be that player, really enjoyed the game last night except for our bad shots on goal, he is having his best year in my mind which is freaking awesome!

How was the bias in the telecast last night? Simpkin drops Smith with a punch to the guys, a split second replay where Brayshaw says "Shiel catapulted him into him". No further replays.

When Shiel incident happened. They backed over and over and over again.

Same with Merrett the week before.

We are getting crucified

The bias by richo was so bad surprisingly but I don't know why brayshaw (who looks like the terminator in terminator 2) is allowed to commentate North games

Nice to wake up with the 4 points safely banked. A quick examination of the ladder though shows the teams that we have beaten this year are not much chop. If the Melb game had of gone ahead....5 of our 6 games have been against teams ranked 13 to 17th. Collingwood is the only win of real merit. I know in the recent past we might of dropped one or two more of these...so that's positive I guess.

It will be interesting to see if we will get exposed or are able to continue with momentum.
I agree. The intent we bring still seems matched to how we perceive the strength of the opposition. We took Carlton too lightly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back