AFL Autopsy Rnd 6: ANZAC Day loss to the Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Footy is tough to watch at the moment, they have introduced way too many new rules and forgotten how to officiate the basic ones.

We definitely got a couple of frees /non-frees go our way but there were some important ones that also didn't go our way. You could argue that your first goal (that stopped the rot) was a non-free kick against Grundy and you were also given a free 15m out when Baguley had a hand full of Langdons jumper.

Not fun losing close ones but I'd be surprised if that performance doesn't propel you guys for the rest of the season.

All the best.

I think most of us would agree that the first of those frees was BS and that the second probably shouldn't have been called (although I believe the umpire called high on Langdon as his arm hit Baguley face, they didn't call holding as they were all over each other). But if we had to trade those two decisions for all the calls that went against us we would've come out much further ahead.

Epic game yesterday, worthy of the big stage. Still hurting from the loss.

Thought Collingwood's defensive pressure would catch us off guard, given we hadn't faced anything like that yet. But so impressed with our response after quarter time, we were all over them for 3 quarters and should have got over the line.

That game showed we definitely have the game style to mix it with the best in September. Now we need to win games like that to show we'll be a threat deep in September. Looking forward to Geelong and Richmond games coming up.

We had 87 turnovers to 78. As much as you want to blame umps, even 5 less turnovers could mean 5 more shots on goal to us and 5 less to Collingwood.

That's how you win close games.

We just arent experienced enough in front of big crowds. Losing a close one on ANZAC day is probably the best way to learn if you want to be better under pressure in September.

Watching as a neutral, not paying attention to the commentary, it really seemed like the umpires were instructed to not pay anything bar the completely obvious frees.. which is ok in theory, but in a match like today where every possession is hard earnt, clear missed frees that would be paid really hurt you guys in the end. Commiserations.

Really impressed by you guys though, held up the pies after they got the jump and with some cleaner kicking you might have snatched it at the end. I wouldn’t blame Shiel for a late shanked kick as much when he’s kicking that ball on tired legs. A few other kicks weren’t his best today, but part of that I think comes with new teammates. Learning what spots forwards run to and their running patterns does take some time. He did a mountain of work today, kept you guys in it early and really helped turn the momentum back at the end.

Curious also, I’ve noticed Heppell was often the guy who got the ball at the end of a handball chain, and he would just kick it high and long down the line without any real general direction. Often they would get turned over. Is that a coaching direction or just his decision making with ball in hand to just pump it down the line rather than look for the lead up?

Also, really good to see Daniher up and about again. Footy is better when he’s playing well. He’s one of my favourites to watch.

Fully expect you guys to be there at the pointy end; wish you all the best for the rest of the year.

The game reminded me a lot of the GF. Collingwood got the jump, the opposition came back late in the 2nd quarter and then controlled all of the play for the 2nd half. Despite the control of the play, they couldn't put it on the board because Collingwood could afford to put defence ahead of attack due to their big lead. The difference is Sheed to his chance, we blew three in the last 5 min.

Had plenty of chances late to get it forward but couldnt make it happen. Cant leave it to umpires to make sensible decisions late when we cant do the same. We'll get em next time.

Great post. My sentiments exactly

Cannot blame the umps, our foot skills were disgusting late, Shiel was an offender all day. Cannot give them a 6 goal start & expect to win.

Cracking game and atmosphere.

Thought our system held up well even with quite a few players being down. Felt we had the better of general play for 3 quarters but butchered too many kicks going forward or into the corridor to make it count.

We played most of the last 5 minutes like there was only a minute to go. Lacked some composure but that should hopefully be something the players learn from.

The game reminded me a lot of the GF. Collingwood got the jump, the opposition came back late in the 2nd quarter and then controlled all of the play for the 2nd half. Despite the control of the play, they couldn't put it on the board because Collingwood could afford to put defence ahead of attack due to their big lead. The difference is Sheed to his chance, we blew three in the last 5 min.
Yep exactly.
If we had the composure of the eagles in the last few minutes we'd have steamrolled them. Good lesson to learn though, and hopefully we get to make up for it next time.

But must admit am sick of losing to this filth every anzac day! Doesnt count if we win the return match later in the year, i want to see us win on the big stage.

The best call was when "Digger" rang in to complain about new Collingwood coach Leigh Matthews. Although it was only pre season he was most upset that the coach umpired the intra club and crucified both sides.

Who do you support Digger??

Ccoooollingwood Tony!

Pisser.

Not sure if he was my favourite or Guru Bob.

We'll be a better side in the long run due to this loss I think.

Huge game and proof that our style does stack up against the best. We just need to learn how to negate a game plan like Collingwood's a little earlier on in the match before it gets away from us.

Watch out Geelong - they're due for a loss and I think we match up very well against them.

We had 87 turnovers to 78. As much as you want to blame umps, even 5 less turnovers could mean 5 more shots on goal to us and 5 less to Collingwood.

That's how you win close games.

We just arent experienced enough in front of big crowds. Losing a close one on ANZAC day is probably the best way to learn if you want to be better under pressure in September.

Frees against while in position is a turnover. Your differential is more then made up by the missed calls lol.

What about Massive?

Now you've started it.

He was great too.

Favourite Massive moment was post Ess vs St Kilda on a Friday night in 2000. Docklands had only just opened and we'd belted the Saints.

Massive: Gee they were good last night.

Tony: they were pretty good.

Massive: they were really good, Tone

Tony (something like): Well the Bombers are a great team.

Massive: Essendon?! Naah Tone, the nachos (at Docklands)! The nachos mate!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hi guys,from an outsider looking in,in the dying moments when a collingwood player tries to burst through gets tackled by one arm drops the ball and the dickhead umpires let the game go on!
then frustration creeps in and of course they pay a push in the back.
seriously anyone with half a brain that went with the old rules of push in the back ,dropping the ball when tackled could umpire the game better than these clowns.

Have to say that the umpiring across the league is going to cause a serious incident at some stage as sections of fans from all clubs are getting seriously angry during games. It will only take one hero who has consumed too many and it will be on. I have been saying for weeks the holding the ball decisions in most games have been beyond belief. Yesterday was no different.

Bucks . The crowd was not specifically booing Pendlebury. They where still wound up from a few of the head scratching decisions in the last 10 minutes. The booing started pretty much straight after the siren.

To the utensil head who thought it was a good idea to push my wife over so you could start yelling at Essendon supporters booing while your coach was making his speech. You are a lucky man. If not for a few friends to hold me back you would have been the poster boy for a toothless Pies supporter.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Back to the game it was a great game minus the umpires. I was pissed off that we lost but walked away happy we put in a serious effort. In the end I think the difference was they got a fraction more out of their midfield. Our top three in Shiel , Merritt and Heppel can match most sides but we need to be getting more out of the next 3 or 4. That means improvement from the young blokes and a step up from a couple of the older players. The Pies had just a fraction more polish in positioning and general midfield craft.

The all day pressure was amazing from both sides and despite some average turnovers I am glad we learnt from the Saints game and kept trying to attack.

2017 Joe looks to be re emerging :)

I think this game proves that discussions about some fringe players is simply tinkering around the edges.

Sorry guys have to comment. Bad start is what lost you the game IMO. But I can’t stand that umpiring either it was a disgrace and the day deserved far better.

Commiserations hope you knock the s**t out the stinking cats next week.

Poor first quarter, got killed on the spread. Last three qtrs were the standard we need to maintain, though we need to cleanup the turnovers at half back - 3 times joey centered the ball and turned it over leading to goals for them.

Umpiring was meh, but it’s pointless whinging about it, it’s out of our control. I left as soon as the siren sounded so not sure what all the booing was about, maybe they were saying boourns?

Saad was epic, though Joe and Stringer were pretty good. Onto next week, Carn the Dons!!

hi guys,from an outsider looking in,in the dying moments when a collingwood player tries to burst through gets tackled by one arm drops the ball and the dickhead umpires let the game go on!
then frustration creeps in and of course they pay a push in the back.
seriously anyone with half a brain that went with the old rules of push in the back ,dropping the ball when tackled could umpire the game better than these clowns.

And it is why the booing started after the siren and kept going. I am not really one to say umpires change games but the overall quality of holding the ball decisions across the league has been horrible this year. There where a few dodgy decisions near the end of the game so our supporters went crazy. There where probably a couple that went the other way that would have had Pies supporters up in arms if they had of gone under. The AFL has a real issue with how they are asking the umps to umpire the game at the moment.

Nobody will out sook a Colllingwood supporter when it comes to the umps!! They get kissed on the dick ... and still want to act like they're hard done by! lol
I had this conversation with my best mate who is a Collingwood supporter. I simply said to him that he'd secured the 4 points but if he couldn't acknowledge that they were kissed on the tip & that helped their cause then he's being completely ignorant. He couldn't agree & tried to convince me that if anything Collingwood had been hardly done by. Laughable but completely expected from a pies supporter.

Sorry guys have to comment. Bad start is what lost you the game IMO. But I can’t stand that umpiring either it was a disgrace and the day deserved far better.

Commiserations hope you knock the s**t out the stinking cats next week.
I thought there were a number of parallels with the 2018 GF; in particular, our bad start was similar to WCE's and the comeback too. You could even say that the HTB that wasn't awarded (when all the players stopped) was our McGovern moment. Had that free been given, we were a chance to steal the game with a couple of marks and a Dom Sheed-like goal...

If nothing else, we (and the rest of the league) know how to beat Collingwood now. They're a great team and it won't be easy but I expect that their confidence will have been dented after yesterday. The umpiring yesterday hurt us more than it helped them and the fans (justifiably aggrieved) response to the umpiring hurt them, confidence-wise. It was the flattest celebration of an Anzac Day win I can remember.

I come in peace.

Terrible umpiring aside, you guys should be both pleased and proud imo.

You are a very good side and will be pushing for top 4, my best mate is a dons fanatic so i follow you guys very closely. Your team is extremely well balanced, and you have the star power to go the whole way.

Yesterday impressed me because of your ability to storm back when it looked like the pies had the game on their terms, reminded me of us in 2017/18 when we were at our best and i felt like we were never really out of a game no matter how on top the oppo seemed to be.

Shiel has been excellent, as has Daniher on his return.

Good luck for the rest of the season (except at Dreamtime, of course)

Have to say that the umpiring across the league is going to cause a serious incident at some stage as sections of fans from all clubs are getting seriously angry during games. It will only take one hero who has consumed too many and it will be on. I have been saying for weeks the holding the ball decisions in most games have been beyond belief. Yesterday was no different.

Bucks . The crowd was not specifically booing Pendlebury. They where still wound up from a few of the head scratching decisions in the last 10 minutes. The booing started pretty much straight after the siren.

To the utensil head who thought it was a good idea to push my wife over so you could start yelling at Essendon supporters booing while your coach was making his speech. You are a lucky man. If not for a few friends to hold me back you would have been the poster boy for a toothless Pies supporter.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Back to the game it was a great game minus the umpires. I was pissed off that we lost but walked away happy we put in a serious effort. In the end I think the difference was they got a fraction more out of their midfield. Our top three in Shiel , Merritt and Heppel can match most sides but we need to be getting more out of the next 3 or 4. That means improvement from the young blokes and a step up from a couple of the older players. The Pies had just a fraction more polish in positioning and general midfield craft.

The all day pressure was amazing from both sides and despite some average turnovers I am glad we learnt from the Saints game and kept trying to attack.

2017 Joe looks to be re emerging :)

I think this game proves that discussions about some fringe players is simply tinkering around the edges.
But it only matters on how we move forward. Use the learnings wisely we make finals, use the learnings foolishly we have another bad season.

Who do you support Digger??

Ccoooollingwood Tony!

Pisser.

Not sure if he was my favourite or Guru Bob.

Who was the guy with the good mail? You know, when his flatmates, brothers, sister-in-law's cousin overheard the guy cleaning his windscreen and how he heard from the guy at the pub who works with Nathan Buckley's cousin .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back