AFL Autopsy Rnd 6: ANZAC Day loss to the Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rules state:

"A Player Correctly disposes the football if a player kicks or handballs the football". Ergo, throw it andkick it, it's a legal disposal.
So, throw the ball quarterback style 20 metres through the air but meet it with a mid-air kick before it hits the ground - all sweet? Great I'm going to try that next weekend onfield... Maybe also using this technique there's hope for Dyl Clarke's kicking action yet?

Replying to the bolded.

It's not that the prior opportunity "occurs post-tackle", it is the umpire's decision about whether there was "prior" or "a genuine attempt" that occurs post-tackle. It's actually quite simple to correct. HTB need to be made a strict liability breach of the rules. If a player in possession is legally tackled and disposes of the ball incorrectly then it's a free to the tackler. This would still give the umpire flexibility to determine what is "possession" and would mean that a possession/immediate tackle could be still adjudicated as it is currently but would make the decisions like these more clear-cut.

I expect what you'd see is what is already developing under the current rules - the basket-ball like tap on - where players don't take possession.

At present, to minimise stoppages, there's an additional subjective element to the rule that is causing the inconsistency - the part that requires the umpire to make a judgment of the intention of the tackled player in the moment of the tackle. (Expanding on my criminal law analogy, instead of being a strict liability offence, the current rule requires the umpire to form an opinion on the mens rea aspect of the offence - whether there was a "guilty mind" at the time of the tackle. That this decision about intention takes place in the heat of the moment makes the rule entirely subjective and therefore impossible to adjudicate with any consistency.)

EDIT: Just saw Howard Moon's diagram - that's exactly how the rule should be interpreted. Paying what you see - not what you think the player was thinking.

I think we're in agreement.

What you'd bolded is what Ryan was saying when providing his explanation.

Outplayed us for 3 of the 4 quarters. But don't feel sorry for you lot. Dons a real menace. Pies scraped the 4 points by the hair of our chinny chin chins. We'll meet again in the finals. Meanwhile do us a solid and put out the cat(s). Respect.
The game between Port and North was umpired quite well.
Makes our match look silly

Last edited:
FWIW I think there is merit in what appear to be the changes in rules or interpretations around incorrect disposal. I have been concerned for years about players being penalised for incorrect disposal in situations where it was literally impossible for them to dispose correctly — eg. arm pinned, ball knocked loose in tackle, player taken to ground in tackle. It doesn’t make sense to penalise for failure to do something impossible.
Having said that, the total inconsistency in how these interpretations are applied is maddening for all involved in or watching the game. Decisions are different from minute to minute and game to game.
You guys will move on from this. I think you will have a good season and this game won’t be seen to have derailed it.

[IMG='width:397px;']https://media.tenor.com/images/db123605ff2f1105ff61a30f6a8c56f5/tenor.gif[/IMG]
Jeez I love Ava.

I just wish everyone would stop whinging about crap, we had 5 minutes to kick 1 goal. how many times did WE **** up, end of story.
Baguley will get a game for next 15 odd weeks, Francis will never be fit enough, and all our young blokes aren't ready yet.
The first sentence is where I'm at today. They put the game out of reach. We should have put the game out of reach.
Umpires screwed us and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Pendlebury decision suggests otherwise

Two totally different actions - Umpires have CORRECTLY adjudicated that if you lean into,drop your knees or raise your arms, it's then not a free kick - The sad thing is this common sense umpiring should have occurred five years ago - And it's even sadder that you think it's a free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with the Stephenson one, the issue for me isn't really how he tried to dispose of the ball but rather the amount of time he took to attempt it.

If you hit the ground before you try to get rid of it legally, that should be holding the ball in my opinion.

I think with the Stephenson one, the issue for me isn't really how he tried to dispose of the ball but rather the amount of time he took to attempt it.

If you hit the ground before you try to get rid of it legally, that should be holding the ball in my opinion.
Completely agree as long as the player had prior opportunity and wasn't tackled as soon as receiving. But the reality is every decision is a crap shoot. It has seriously affected my interest in watching any game other than ours. I've just got better things to do.

Completely agree as long as the player had prior opportunity and wasn't tackled as soon as receiving. But the reality is every decision is a crap shoot. It has seriously affected my interest in watching any game other than ours. I've just got better things to do.
I'm feeling this too. The Anzac day clash made me angry watching it and I don't even follow either team.

Yeah exactly. It's bad enough getting outraged over a stupid game at all but I also find myself getting outraged when I have no interest or stake in the game besides seeing some good footying. Who needs that.

I know things are in a bad state & that it just not me deluding myself with Bomber bias when I start feeling for bloody Carlton when Eleni starts giving them a good seeing to down in Tassie.

Yes, we all need to get over it (or do we...) but at the same time HQ has to address the umpiring standard & not just tick off everything anytime s**t hits the fan.

I know things are in a bad state & that it just not me deluding myself with Bomber bias when I start feeling for bloody Carlton when Eleni starts giving them a good seeing to down in Tassie.

Yes, we all need to get over it (or do we...) but at the same time HQ has to address the umpiring standard & not just tick off everything anytime **** hits the fan.
I'm getting over it alright.. by watching less footy. Congratulations AFL.

In my humble opinion, it’s not about the umpires, Shiel butchering the ball by foot or Pendles....
We need to commit to turning up for blockbuster games from the opening bounce instead of spending the first quarter-and-a-half resembling a deer in headlights. Then crappy umpiring or a few butchered kicks won’t make all the difference like they did on Thursday :huh:

Now Bring on the Cats! :thumbsu:

I'm getting over it alright.. by watching less footy. Congratulations AFL.
Unfortunately that decision seems to be made for me automatically by the commie censors here in China :( - They decided with 3 minutes to go in the match that I didn’t need my internet anymore because the ‘content’ must have been too offensive for the local authorities. (Or maybe it was just because the ‘surveillance team’ could hear me swearing at the umpires ?) :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back