AFL Autopsy Rnd 6: ANZAC Day loss to the Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pendle Duck and Flop

I've never understood the point of highlighting anything in slo-mo, especially umpiring decisions.

What is the point being made, that if the umpires could forensically examine each contest they would find the free kick? That sound great to me.

Either the real time image speaks for itself or there is no error worth mentioning.

Umpiring was bad both ways that point shouldn’t be argued and certainly not my first point of blame for the loss.

Not at one point did I think Collingwood didn’t deserve to win that game because they did, they got the strong start and managed to hold on despite us coming back hard and destroying them in clearances.

Can we all now stop with the “drop Ambrose” nonsense, he destroyed his opponent again today, he’s a walk up start every week.
Absolutely. Bloke is a quality defender.

Hilarious. You tell me to take my blinkers off and concede that umpiring impacted both ways when all your whole board has done with rare exception is talk about the way the umps crucified Essendon. I was lending some objective factual balance. Cox missed the kick on goal for that soft free as did Brown. So the net result is you scored at least 3 goals from clearly incorrect decisions and I don't believe we scored any from our good fortune from the umps. You copped some bad ones too, but most on this thread are claiming you were screwed by the umps. I beg to differ.
You're on our board, in our autopsy thread. Take your 'objective factual balance' elsewhere.

Hilarious. You tell me to take my blinkers off and concede that umpiring impacted both ways when all your whole board has done with rare exception is talk about the way the umps crucified Essendon. I was lending some objective factual balance. Cox missed the kick on goal for that soft free as did Brown. So the net result is you scored at least 3 goals from clearly incorrect decisions and I don't believe we scored any from our good fortune from the umps. You copped some bad ones too, but most on this thread are claiming you were screwed by the umps. I beg to differ.

It’s possible for the umpiring to be bad both ways and for us to have been completely rooted by the vast majority of it.

Hell, it’s so possible it actually happened. Literally this afternoon. I don’t think there’s any two ways about it.

Overall I think if it wasn’t the poorest umpires game I’ve ever seen it’s right at the pointy end, I can’t remember players all stopping and assuming a free kick on multiple occasions like that before

Bellchambers has had it IMO way too slow around the ground and makes terrible terrible decisions.

Been serviceable but I’d like to see Draper given a crack

TBC did well in the ruck against league's best ruckman. Draper was beaten by Tom bloody Campbell last week.

Lol the only s**t decision that went our way was probably the free to bags which we got a goa rom

There were several times more that Essendon got reemed, multiple times in the forward 50.

If you think it was some type of even split of s**t decisions you ******* watched a different game pal.

Yeah-if you ignore the Baguley free and goal and the 'push in the back free against Grundy when he never went near the back of his opponent
or the throw by Tipungwuti to Daniher all of which resulted in goals. The frees Essendon are squealing about all happened in our forward fifty so at best they would have been a free kick deep in their defensive half.

Nobody will out sook a Colllingwood supporter when it comes to the umps!! They get kissed on the dick ... and still want to act like they're hard done by! lol

Nobody will out sook a Colllingwood supporter when it comes to the umps!! They get kissed on the dick ... and still want to act like they're hard done by! lol

They’re also really ugly and they smell and they have poor dress sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember the Coodabeen champion's character? A Collingwood supporter who would call up and recall umpiring decisions from 15 years ago. Like all good comedy, it is based on truth. The fact is that having grown up going to games where your supporter base is the loudest at most games you get accustomed to hearing your whinging over the rest. Perhaps only Hawthorn supporters surpass Collingwood now.

The umpiring was not bad both ways, it is a completely untrue concession. We had two obvious bad frees in front of goal which were cancelled out by Tippa missed frees. There are still another 10 horrible decisions we were on the wrong end of. Second worst in my memory, first was being a game at Etihad vs Doggies about 10 years back.

Even though we got reemed, we still kicked ourselves out of the win. We should have walked it in, we had all the run in the last quarter and should blame our own errors.

We need to get some more composed users up the field to right those areas of weakness. Maybe we can get Gleeson and BZT in and release the likes Redman and Ridley up the field.

Last edited:
Look, as bad as the umpiring was, did we hit the front at all? No. Collingwood deserved the win. If somebody told me at 8 am that we'd have Raz as a late out and we'd only lose by 4 whilst being destroyed by the umpires I would have taken it. Now that it's happened though...

Remember the Coodabeen champion's character? A Collingwood supporter who would call up and recall umpiring decisions from 15 years ago. Like all good comedy, it is based on truth. The fact is that having grown up going to games where your supporter base is the loudest at most games you get accustomed to hearing your whinging over the rest. Perhaps only Hawthorn supporters surpass Collingwood now.
The best call was when "Digger" rang in to complain about new Collingwood coach Leigh Matthews. Although it was only pre season he was most upset that the coach umpired the intra club and crucified both sides.

The best call was when "Digger" rang in to complain about new Collingwood coach Leigh Matthews. Although it was only pre season he was most upset that the coach umpired the intra club and crucified both sides.

ahahahahahahahahaha ... that's right Digger!! LOL CURICIFIED!! They should have given the Good Friday game to Collingwood!!

The other one was Timmy from Thomastown. "How many Brownlow votes will Craig Starcevich get today"

Watching as a neutral, not paying attention to the commentary, it really seemed like the umpires were instructed to not pay anything bar the completely obvious frees.. which is ok in theory, but in a match like today where every possession is hard earnt, clear missed frees that would be paid really hurt you guys in the end. Commiserations.

Really impressed by you guys though, held up the pies after they got the jump and with some cleaner kicking you might have snatched it at the end. I wouldn’t blame Shiel for a late shanked kick as much when he’s kicking that ball on tired legs. A few other kicks weren’t his best today, but part of that I think comes with new teammates. Learning what spots forwards run to and their running patterns does take some time. He did a mountain of work today, kept you guys in it early and really helped turn the momentum back at the end.

Curious also, I’ve noticed Heppell was often the guy who got the ball at the end of a handball chain, and he would just kick it high and long down the line without any real general direction. Often they would get turned over. Is that a coaching direction or just his decision making with ball in hand to just pump it down the line rather than look for the lead up?

Also, really good to see Daniher up and about again. Footy is better when he’s playing well. He’s one of my favourites to watch.

Fully expect you guys to be there at the pointy end; wish you all the best for the rest of the year.

That was categorically the worst umpired game I’ve ever seen in my life. Ever.

I know I’m going full nuffie here but honestly, they should be launching an enquiry or we should be demanding a ‘please explain’ from today. Some stuff was bordering on corruption, it was just that outrageous.

I don’t know who else was at the game but the moment when joe mowed down crisp.... I’ve never seen anything like it. Was up and about, start hearing collective outrage, and realise it’s been called play on. How. How how how how. Mind you the umpiring was already diabolical before this moment, so this was just the cherry on top.

Worst umpiring ever

That was categorically the worst umpired game I’ve ever seen in my life. Ever.

I know I’m going full nuffie here but honestly, they should be launching an enquiry or we should be demanding a ‘please explain’ from today. Some stuff was bordering on corruption, it was just that outrageous.

I don’t know who else was at the game but the moment when joe mowed down crisp.... I’ve never seen anything like it. Was up and about, start hearing collective outrage, and realise it’s been called play on. How. How how how how. Mind you the umpiring was already diabolical before this moment, so this was just the cherry on top.

Worst umpiring ever

The umpires will never admit they get some decisions wrong they are a joke.

Can we all now stop with the “drop Ambrose” nonsense, he destroyed his opponent again today, he’s a walk up start every week.

He was unreal yesterday. As was the entire back line. Except maybe McKenna. who I thought was poor overall and when he played on in the centre in he last quarter really cost us.

And Hooksy. His mark in the 4th Q was a thing of beauty.
as a backman my self, that should be in the talks for Mark of the week. But it won't. I was unreal.

Footy is tough to watch at the moment, they have introduced way too many new rules and forgotten how to officiate the basic ones.

We definitely got a couple of frees /non-frees go our way but there were some important ones that also didn't go our way. You could argue that your first goal (that stopped the rot) was a non-free kick against Grundy and you were also given a free 15m out in the last when Baguley had a hand full of Langdons jumper.

Not fun losing close ones but I'd be surprised if that performance doesn't propel you guys for the rest of the season.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back