Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
This would be absolutely fine and hopefully is the way things do go.

Surely it's understandable for posters to be skepticle when we've had the opportunity in the past to adjust our structures to team balance but haven't.

We really are crying out for a crumber, we have some sufficient defensive forwards but really do lack the creative attacker.

As much as I would love for that have been young Pickett, I think it would be murdering his already fleeting career to bring him back in and not have him play off a wing.

You just have to look at Adelaide vs Hawthorn (Round 1) to know that going in top heavy into this match is a mistake.

Hawthorn thrive on defensive pressure and zoning off to outnumber in contests with the ball coming in high and long.

Watch Hawthorn walk the ball out of defense and create scoring opportunities on the rebound.

Bordertoon

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Newcastle United, Glasgow Rangers
That’s exactly what Bolts said in his pre match interview about needing to change your game style multiple times while playing Hawks and Clarko.
Ah, haven’t watched that interview yet Murph, but nice to learn that my post may have been on point.

Presuming that we’re well in the game, it will be interesting to see how Bolts and our other coaches adjust to any changes that Clarko feels obliged to make over the course of the afternoon. Lots for us to look out for in this game imo.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
LOB is named on the HFF is this anything to go by or are they playing silly buggers? I like the idea of him doing a run with role on a damaging half back and his disposal inside 50 could be damaging.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah well Scully has been playing half back and that’s probably the best match up for LOB as far as his development goes.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
My guess is Garlett and Polson go over as emergencies. Cuningham & Kennedy need to play regardless.
Polson was the travelling emergency for Gold Coast after being dropped imo would be quite ridiculous to do the same again not playing at all for 2 of the past 3 while being fit .
Polson probably more than anyone needs to play games and develop his game in the reserves .

ForYouBlue

All Australian
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
If you go straight for the negative and always believe you are right?

How about seeing the selections, analyse possible reasons why?

As for a crumber whats wrong with Murphy Fisher Gibbons Curnow etc
Not quite sure what you mean by your first point but the positive vs negative Deathmatch narrative is a bit boring, I didn't attach any quality to it, merely showing prediction based on what has already occurred ?

Curnow has had some great moment dishing it out from the pack but haven't seen any great crumbing, nor have I from any of the others bar perhaps Fisher who I think would be great even but may hinder is development as a mid if spending a majority time down forward. Would love to see Murph spend quality time there but perhaps he is still needed in a you g midfield.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
You just have to look at Adelaide vs Hawthorn (Round 1) to know that going in top heavy into this match is a mistake.

Hawthorn thrive on defensive pressure and zoning off to outnumber in contests with the ball coming in high and long.

Watch Hawthorn walk the ball out of defense and create scoring opportunities on the rebound.

Sorry Eiffel but the comparisons are wrong. Our forward line talls are nothing like the Crows. Walker Lynch Jenkins are plodders and the ball was coming in poorly. We are more mobile and quicker

The key IMO for us will be our ability to give quality supply to the forwards. It was so much better last week

ForYouBlue

All Australian
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Have to say I don't watch a great deal of neutral football.

But i've seen it happen to us many times.

I do however think better application of our gameplan will negate this.a bit as our overall pressure looked great last week.

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
While maybe true, that's way too shallow.

For one, another tall vying for the same air ball makes it pretty far from a like for like.

That's not to say Charlie or gov aren't instructed to crumb but we will see
I guess that’s what Bolton was talking about in his presser. Not “standing on top of each other” and “being responsible for different layers”.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Ah, haven’t watched that interview yet Murph, but nice to learn that my post may have been on point.

Presuming that we’re well in the game, it will be interesting to see how Bolts and our other coaches adjust to any changes that Clarko feels obliged to make over the course of the afternoon. Lots for us to look out for in this game imo.
It’s definitely going to be fascinating to watch the changes throughout the game, they might have the advantage in that department as they have the much more experienced side and without runners it makes it hard for a young side to make in game changes, we might just have to battle through with 2 tempos until the change of quarters and then make structural changes. Can’t wait it’s going to be a strategic ripper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
One change to a winning side and we are stuffed. WOW :oops:. Amazing how we all know better than the MC

No balance in team selection.

Five tall forwards in windy conditions down in Tassy. Hmmmmmm.......... where can this go wrong.

Like I said, Hawthorn zone off and get numbers to the contest. They thrive on the ball coming into defensive 50 long and high.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Sorry Eiffel but the comparisons are wrong. Our forward line talls are nothing like the Crows. Walker Lynch Jenkins are plodders and the ball was coming in poorly. We are more mobile and quicker

The key IMO for us will be our ability to give quality supply to the forwards. It was so much better last week

I'm glad you're confident on this. At least their decisions align with someone's thoughts.

I thought we have a chance leading into this match.

But once again, we've lost this match at the selection table.

Is Robert Walls the one leading the charge for all these tall forwards to be selected in the same side? The same Robert Walls that said West Coast would win the wooden spoon last year!
you're embarrassing yourself.........

Bordertoon

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Poison out is a good one. Showed nothing last week when pretty much the rest of the team was flying.

Charlie coming back in, bit concerned it's too soon because he's had an unfortunate run with injury so far this year. If he's right to go, then it's a good change.

DC's a bit of a sharpshooter. I reckon he needs to rack up games. Hope Bolts plays him predominantly forward with stints in the middle when he comes back.
A spellchecker autocorrect, I hope - whatever we think of any player on our list, imo we should be respectful when putting forward our views on their limitations and shortcomings, and imo this is doubly true when it’s a player with less than 20 AFL games to his name.

Bordertoon

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
It’s definitely going to be fascinating to watch the changes throughout the game, they might have the advantage in that department as they have the much more experienced side and without runners it makes it hard for a young side to make in game changes, we might just have to battle through with 2 tempos until the change of quarters and then make structural changes. Can’t wait it’s going to be a strategic ripper.
:thumbsu:

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Just keep focusing on why we will lose

In fairness, just have a look at what happened against Gold Coast.

Apart from a 15 minute period where McGovern worked some magic, the structure didn't work for us.

It's great to be positive, as long as glaring deficiencies aren't ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back