Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolton explained the idea of layers in his pre-game presser. The idea that out of the back-line you always have a tall as your get out if we’re structured properly and they’re not all standing next to each other. So kick out to Cas, who then kicks its to Harry on the wing who then gives it off and we have a deep kick to Charlie or Gov.

The only time the forwards will be in the 50 metre arc is at the centre bounce.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How we gonna score then?

Curnow, McGovern and Silvagni aren’t true KP size. We know tha SOJ and believe Charlie can play midfield. We also know that they are all very mobile. Just like Weitering, Jones, Marchbank and Plowman back, if they structure up right and play to the plan, it could be a huge positive. I like it, as long as we structure them right. Not the end of the world.

Ps. Cripps is KP size or ruckman size:p and he goes well through the middle.:D

The problem, if you think about it, isn’t that we brought in Charlie or that we are too tall, it’s that we have one of the best potential CHFs in the competition, except he happens to be the best midfielder in the competition.

If we had Geelong’s midfield you wouldn’t need 15 talls, you would just need 10 minutes of Crippa.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tallest side I can remember us playing in a loooong time. However, as evidenced by last week (which was only marginally "shorter" and still considered tall), it matters HOW you play far more than anything else.

If we play a game style that compliments the height then all good. It's a point of difference that could win matches.
Agree however we had midfield control for one of the few times of recent years in fact we dominated last week .
That made the teams life much easier to have a functioning forwardline .
Only trouble is we are playing a well drilled Hawthorn who imo won't let us have it that easy highly doubt at this stage of our development we will be controlling the mid battle to that degree again this week even with their outs .
Having the plethora of talls we have in again makes me think we will not have enough run to both sustain enough decent supply to our forwards and at the same time be able to get back and help out with their small forwards .
Samo and Fish will need to play extremely well again if its all left to Crippa think were in trouble .

Pfft. Not condescending, it was sarcasm :rolleyes:

Even more crass than willful misinterpretation then.

I'll write it in small words.

Bring in a player who has only played tall forward in exchange for a fast small, you change team balance. Even when you say "that's ok, he's going to be a mid."

Is it difficult? Or even sarcasm worthy?

I can't begin to tell you how little I care if you agree with me on interpretation. But guess what? You are not an oracle. Sorry, but you're not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think despite the excellent post that you have missed one pertinent aspect. Which is, those posters that dont really care what the team is but love the chance to say it's wrong. Will never miss the chance to criticise, complain and generally know better than anyone employed in football.
I tend to agree B&B.

Personally, I try to plug the gap between my limited AFL knowledge and my limitless hopes for the Blues with faith in the professional people at our club who are charged with taking the club forward, and out of arguably the darkest period in our history (Bolts, SOS etc). Often I wonder whether some others prefer to plug that gap between their knowledge and hopes with something else entirely - :poo: :poo: :poo: ... that’s right, chocolate ice cream! Go figure ;)

Mids that push through the forward line aren’t mids. Learn something every day
So that winning formula you were so desperately arguing not to change during the week is now completely different with Gibbons likely playing more small forward minutes creating a new midfield mix? I smell inconsistencies. Just like how L'Ob didn't play a run with job but did, both according to you.

We can all be condescending/sarcastic dicks if we want. Should start putting some thought into your responses instead of being deliberately obtuse when you get perfectly good discussion proposed to you by posters you deem not to like, usually because their points are too well thought out for you to rebut or you seem to be carrying agendas against a lot of posters. It's getting incredibly tiresome.

We're monstrously tall. Could work for us because a lot of them are mobile and good below their knees. Hope it's a fine night, if it's blowy or wet this may not work well for us. On the other hand I think we can really expose them for lack of height at both ends and with our clearance form.

Even more crass than willful misinterpretation then.

I'll write it in small words.

Bring in a player who has only played tall forward in exchange for a fast small, you change team balance. Even when you say "that's ok, he's going to be a mid."

Is it difficult? Or even sarcasm worthy?

I can't begin to tell you how little I care if you agree with me on interpretation. But guess what? You are not an oracle. Sorry, but you're not.

I'm not? Damn :'(

I'm not convinced we are too tall. Going tall is an interesting tactic for how footy is played right now. Backlines like to setup a zone defence and defenders generally take whoever runs towards them. This kind of setup will make some smaller defenders really nervous if we pick our miss matches well.

Would have loved to see Cuningham play and he might just yet. Wouldn't be surprised to see a late change.

I get a feeling that with team defences and zone setups we're thinking that teams can setup as well as they like, we're going to look at taking a heap of contested marks and just move it forward anyway.

Can't wait to see how this all goes tactically. We'er certainly gong against a trend a little here and I don't mind it, if we are good enough at it it will work.

Thats 100% true Arrow. That doesn't mean we currently have said good small forwards, but having decent small forwards is pretty much an AFL requirement.

I will judge it when we are breaking even and or winning the inside 50 count.

While we don't have traditional small forwards of many other sides, doesn't mean we can't be competitive or rise up the ladder

Think back, how many traditional small forwards do the Demons have/had while they started rising

Even WC who added Rioli and Ryan later to that forward line are more pacey, marking targets who work well up the ground, rather than traditional crumbers

Ours have either been played out of position, out of form or injured, Pickett, Garlett, Cuners, Lebois, Fasolo, Polson, Ed. I doubt some will make it, but perhaps we need to start getting more creative by using the likes of Fisher more in that area.

Small forwards are the last piece of the puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back