Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liam Jones has conceded 3 goals in 500 minutes of footy.
And one of those goals, was from a push in the back from Buddy.
Amazing stats. He and Weitering have been great for us.

I'm getting anxious about the Hawks game

I'm getting anxious because I think we can win.

I'm getting anxious because I think we can win.

Think we can win? I'm certain of it. I can't see how we can lose.
Think we have The Hawks covered in most areas, given player availability and the game we're starting to play.

Just have to be careful to shut down at least one of Breust or Wingard.

Before we all get too excited and start having long hot baths with each other, just remember we beat a very ordinary Bulldogs team. Actually surprised me how backwards they have gone and how the media is not jumping on them.They never looked like winning on the weekend. The Hawks will be different. We need to ensure they do not jump us early. We will not score goals as easily as we did against Hawforn. Their thug coach will target P-S on the weekend big time. Just hope he does not lose it.....Clarkson reminds me of Little Finger....
Did you watch dogs v hawks or dogs v Coll the previous 2-3 weeks. They challenged and beat 1 out of 2 of them. No reason why we can’t beat hawks the same way we beat dogs.

Think we have The Hawks covered in most areas, given player availability and the game we're starting to play.

Love your bullishness Harker. I just don't want to be too cocky.
Pretty sure McEvoy is going to be a little underdone aswell.
Will be a very interesting game to watch.

Really?
I think we are a good chance and our confidence should be up after last week, but this will be a much tougher game than last week. They won't be playing as undersized against us in defense as the doggies and will have Shiels and Stratton coming back in (there seems to be a question mark on McEvoy though - who has been one of their best 2 players this year). We've beaten them once in the last how many years, I'm still a long way off having your confidence levels.

You've been hanging around Soapy V too much.

Dont share your confidence, genuine 50-50

Hawks beaten Crows and North.
Lost to saints,dogs and cats.Should be a lot closer than what people think.

Actually they're not as bad as people think.

Against both dogs and saints they suffered 2 injuries during the game...that's tough.

Against dogs they lost Shiels and Burgoyne...they were up by 30 points in the last quarter and were overrun...losing 2 mids does that.
Against saints they lost Frawley and Stratton...O'Meara was also a late withdrawal so they literally had no midfield with him, Shiels, Burgoyne and Mitchell out.

Given the final scores they would have won both those games without injuries.
And Cats are a top team this year so no shame in losing by a few goals.

If they didn't suffer those injuries they'd likely be 4-1.
Having said that i think we're a good chance.

Amazing what improving pressure on the ball carrier does. No doubt Jones has been great but his opponent has been getting much poorer AND much less delivery.

That said, his record needs to be plastered all over social media. Should comfortably be AA FB currently.

He's starting to get a fair rap from commentators and media...Roos and Healy are impressed.

Keep it up and his name will no doubt be in the mix.

What there missing is that JSOS is actually taller than Charlie and less agile to boot so we played with 4 talls last week as well, but because we used the ball better it worked like a treat which it would of against the Gold Coast if we used it better in that game. It’s a no brainer.

JSOS is not taller than Charlie.
Also JSOS is the more agile of the two when it comes to changing direction and attacking ground balls. JSOS is good below his feet and you often see him at the bottom of packs and able to shovel handpasses out...you don't see that from Charlie as often.

Hawthorn won't make the mistakes by foot that the Dogs did, whether that be around the ground or in front of goal. Again, the numbers seem to suggest that we have an edge when it comes to stoppage and centre clearances, so like normal it will be won in the engine room.

To beat the Hawks, we have to limit the repeat entries, their strength is locking it in, inside 50

Deny deep entries and we will win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Cuners is best 22, but he has not played in a month

Surely other players would be ahead of him for selection at this point. I would rather he return via the VFL

I agree with you here Arrow, however, Russel has continued to say that him and his team are putting big blocks into players coming back, plus I think he was still able to do all running, just no contact.
Wouldn´t be surprised.

You've been hanging around Soapy V too much.
Dont share your confidence, genuine 50-50

Don't worry. He wouldn't have me. :)

I'm being sincere but may of course end up looking stupid, but given it looks likely to be a dry day, I think we can take them and especially so if McEvoy isn't playing.
Our midfield should more than hold their own against theirs.
Our forward line could cause them real problems should they sync up together again.
Even though our back-line is consistent, it has to shut down their small goal-kickers. It just has to.

Even things may go astray on the day for us, it could for The Hawks also.
We really should be right in this and the win last week can only spur our guys on.

What there missing is that JSOS is actually taller than Charlie and less agile to boot so we played with 4 talls last week as well, but because we used the ball better it worked like a treat which it would of against the Gold Coast if we used it better in that game. It’s a no brainer.
IMO when we talk about 'talls' that refers to guys who you wouldn't feel comfortable handballing to under pressure. i'd have no problem handballing to charlie or JSOS. it's only really levi, mckay and maybe weitering that are the true talls. jones, mcgovern, charlie, jssos, kreuzer and marchbank are so athletic that their height really doesn't matter. IMO the height of the team gets skewed badly when one of lobbe of phillips is in there.

despite being taller and less athletic than charlie i think JSOS showed much more midfield craft than charlie ever has.

We should be in this game up to our elbows. What worries me is their kick kick possesion game may lead to the youngens taking unnecessary risks or panic to break lines.

Still i reckon at worst we are 50/50 this game.

JSOS is not taller than Charlie.
Also JSOS is the more agile of the two when it comes to changing direction and attacking ground balls. JSOS is good below his feet and you often see him at the bottom of packs and able to shovel handpasses out...you don't see that from Charlie as often.
They are actually pretty close but Jack just has him covered, on the Carlton site Charlie listed as 192 with Jack as 194 but I think it’s actually closer than that, on BF it’s listed as 192 each so either way there close. The only reason you don’t see Charlie shovelling out handballs from the bottom of a pack is because that’s not his job at the moment but he is certainly capable of this and much more.

If your not careful, Harks, you'll finish up with an invite to the positive thread.

Hawthorn won't make the mistakes by foot that the Dogs did, whether that be around the ground or in front of goal. Again, the numbers seem to suggest that we have an edge when it comes to stoppage and centre clearances, so like normal it will be won in the engine room.

To beat the Hawks, we have to limit the repeat entries, their strength is locking it in, inside 50

Deny deep entries and we will win
We have actually been really good this year at not letting the opposition lock us in defence and get repeat entries, I think the new rule has helped right across the competition in terms of repeat entries, and sides getting stuck in defence is no where near as prevalent as it was last year. The extra space makes a huge difference I think.

For mine this will really test out the balance of our backline.
Still concerned it too tall in general and not a guy that perfect to play on clever smalls of opposition.
With Bruest being elite small and Wingard can be tricky too, Hawks have a strength in that part of the game. Poppy not as good but still very handy third small. Coaching panel has to step up here in how the set team up for those smalls on opposition. If I am Clarkson I am trying to exploit it, if Carlton backline is too tall.
If we clearly win the centre clearances we may score more to cover for that but you would rather keep them in check to start with.
Over to you coaches and team selectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back