Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Murph, depending on the psychology of the individual player, being hyped as “the next big thing” would certainly pose its challenges. On the one hand, you might be inclined to “drink your own bath water”; on the other to feel burdened by the weight of expectation, which might lead to the type of over-trying that you’ve described.

I have no idea if either of these things has contributed to Charlie’s serious drop in form in 2019. Regardless, hopefully his knee settles down soon (worryingly, according to Andy Maher’s Carlton podcast, he had similar concerns as far back as the Geelong Falcons), and he can get a proper foothold in the season.

On a more positive note, isn’t it great that as our list depth improves, while we would like Charlie back ASAP, we’re nowhere near as desperate to see him back as we would have been just a year ago?
Yeah I’m more inclined to think it would be the latter rather than the former I can’t see Charlie getting a big head especially with Ed and the other players around to smack him down, so yeah I think it’s more likely that he is over trying due to expectations/burden that he is feeling, let’s hope he gets a handle on it real soon for his and our sakes. But it is great that we can afford to be patient either way rather than needing to rush him back out of desperation.

It's odd to think 2019 is our best performance to round 5 since 2013...

In addition, the prospects providing upward pressure in the VFL are as good as we've had since the early 10s.

Shows what a barren 5 years it's been.

But consistent performance needs to happen and wins need to be accumulated.

Against an injury-riddled Hawthorn, our boys need to believe they can win.

The only thing that makes us doubt ourselves is a recent history of failure and the Hawks' recent history of absolute success.

In addition, the prospects providing upward pressure in the VFL are as good as we've had since the early 10s.

The only thing that makes us doubt ourselves is a recent history of failure and the Hawks' recent history of absolute success.

That's why I said its 50/50 …. the kids aren't quite there yet in their belief. The only way we lose on Sunday is if we defeat ourselves. On paper, we have the Hawks covered.

Not disputing Cuningham's ability or attributes, none of which was the basis of my post
I agree with your no changes philosophy for the reasons you have mentioned, I'd really like some continuity in the 22 to help build cohesion. It would be awesome if Cuningham came in though, he was in the best 22 and performing well before the unfortunate collision.

Playing conditions on Sunday could be a bit tricky, particularly with a wind blowing across the ground. Just remember that UTAS Stadium low grandstands and tricky cross winds make for a goal kicking nightmare This strong wind (for which UTAS is renowned for) tends to hinder the accuracy of long-distance kicks that are propelled high into the air. If you get the kick high outside 50m, it starts to move a fair bit where as if you can keep it underneath the roof (of the grandstands) it actually seems to hold its line a lot better. Hopefully David Teague and Sav Rocca have been highlighting this to our forwards (particularly Levi and Big H). Andrew Russell will be all over this hopefully, as the Hawthorn forwards are well aware and practice lower height shots on goal in their pre-game warm-ups, so he should be recommending that in our training this week.

Maybe Bolts can conjure up some "York Park" magic, having won the TFL Grand Final there as a 19 y.o for North Launceston and winning the BOG medal. Happy hunting ground maybe?

Playing conditions on Sunday could be a bit tricky, particularly with a wind blowing across the ground. Just remember that UTAS Stadium low grandstands and tricky cross winds make for a goal kicking nightmare This strong wind (for which UTAS is renowned for) tends to hinder the accuracy of long-distance kicks that are propelled high into the air. If you get the kick high outside 50m, it starts to move a fair bit where as if you can keep it underneath the roof (of the grandstands) it actually seems to hold its line a lot better. Hopefully David Teague and Sav Rocca have been highlighting this to our forwards (particularly Levi and Big H). Andrew Russell will be all over this hopefully, as the Hawthorn forwards are well aware and practice lower height shots on goal in their pre-game warm-ups, so he should be recommending that in our training this week.

Maybe Bolts can conjure up some "York Park" magic, having won the TFL Grand Final there as a 19 y.o for North Launceston and winning the BOG medal. Happy hunting ground maybe?
I wonder if the wind will help Dow’s disposal ? ...

Not disputing Cuningham's ability or attributes, none of which was the basis of my post

Its a free world....

I just don't see general principles of cohesion etc outweighing a difference of exposed ability as great as there is between those two.

Your mileage may vary.

In the end, nothing I'd like better than to see Polson stay in and rack up 2 goals and 6 tackles, with maybe an assist or two.

I REALLY like pace, and the difference in value terms between the unusually quick and the few who are blisteringly quick is vast.

O'Brien did a good job on Hunter on the weekend, would we give him a task of running with Henderson whom, if you have seen Hawthorn play this year, has been their best player. Put the pressure on O'Meara and Henderson and there isn't too much to worry about with their midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a free world....

I just don't see general principles of cohesion etc outweighing a difference of exposed ability as great as there is between those two.

Your mileage may vary.

In the end, nothing I'd like better than to see Polson stay in and rack up 2 goals and 6 tackles, with maybe an assist or two.

I REALLY like pace, and the difference in value terms between the unusually quick and the few who are blisteringly quick is vast.

We really are setting elite standards aren't we

No small forward in a winning side last weekend achieved those numbers, in goals yes, but not tackles. For me, I look at the forward line as a whole, rather than individual performances.

Tackles, pressure, creating space, stopping rebound 50's etc

Most people get too caught up in just goals when it comes to small forwards, when it is the sum of all parts

I reckon it all comes down to the midfield battle and maintaining posession.

In the first 4 rounds, our only mids that were good for 25+ were Cripps, Murph and Walsh. On the weekend, Fisher and SPS joined the party, along with a handy 21 from Gibbons (Kreuz smashing it in the ruck also helped enormously). If this next tier of mids can continue to have high output games, we are a much better chance of keeping the ball and getting adequate supply to our forwards.

The acid needs to be put on Fisher and SPS as third year mids with classy attributes, that 25+ is their standard.
Love the points you raise, spot on

We really are setting elite standards aren't we

No small forward in a winning side last weekend achieved those numbers, in goals yes, but not tackles. For me, I look at the forward line as a whole, rather than individual performances.

Tackles, pressure, creating space, stopping rebound 50's etc

Most people get too caught up in just goals when it comes to small forwards, when it is the sum of all parts
I really like Jack's game last week. Set up at least 2 goals from his work in the clinches. Needs to keep bringing his skills acquired as a mid at the lower level, to his trade as a mid sized forward at this level. Instrumental in our victory

Big Boy McEvoy is in doubt. If he doesn't play we have to take advantage of it. Hopefully Kreuze wins the hitouts and gets it down to our mids. From there quick and accurate ball movement out of the centre, and a lowering of the eyes into our leading tall timber is encouraged. I hope the forward setup is similar to the Bulldogs game. It worked. Sicily may be a stumbling block, but I hope someone can get into his head. (Where's Jed Lamb when you need him?0

For mine this will really test out the balance of our backline.
Still concerned it too tall in general and not a guy that perfect to play on clever smalls of opposition.
With Bruest being elite small and Wingard can be tricky too, Hawks have a strength in that part of the game. Poppy not as good but still very handy third small. Coaching panel has to step up here in how the set team up for those smalls on opposition. If I am Clarkson I am trying to exploit it, if Carlton backline is too tall.
If we clearly win the centre clearances we may score more to cover for that but you would rather keep them in check to start with.
Over to you coaches and team selectors.
Yep. That's the biggest concern. Haven't been challenged by the likes of Poppy and Bruest yet. Game will be won and lost there. Big jobs for Simmo and Daisy. Mids will need to help out down back.

Mate - you have a 'thing' for Polson - hope it all works out for the kid - right now on exposed form and across a lot of measures - I don't rate him much at all - except he has some leg speed and is young and goes as hard as he can for 4 quarters - unlike some so called 'leaders' - who I rate much lower.

Bolton: Levi, you played a good game on the weekend but Charlie is fit to play this week and as discussed last year there will be times we can’t squeeze you into the line up, but there will be many more opportunities to play senior footy this year if you maintain that standard of play.

Levi: No sweat Bolts. You have been clear and open with me about the direction of the club and I’m happy to contribute in anyway I can, so if that means playing with the NBs I’m happy to to go back there and help out the young blokes.

Bolts: You’re a legend Levi. That’s what being bound by Blue is all about.

This is how it happens in my head also. Clear, simple, upfront, all on the same page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back