Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure we are going over old ground here

For the last time, Cuners played one exceptional half of football, 17 disposals, for the year and has now missed 4 weeks of football. Surely recent game time and touch is an important factor?

While I see him as best 22, he has NEVER cemented a spot, so having a run at VFL is not an unconventional option

Personally, I would recall Kennedy for Polson as the only change
You'd bring in a one paced inside mid to replace your pacey HFF?

Cuningham has to come in for Polson; must!

Put a good claim forward I'd say and a lot better than Gibbons (5 games) and Polson (16 games) who haven't exactly cemeneted spots, either.
A better bet than ECurnow playing forward, also.

If he's been in full training and is showing up to be ready to go and is a better bet than the aforementioned, who haven't exactly cemented anything just yet.......Where's the argument? There isn't one, unless he is indeed a player that somehow requires the extra TLC.

As opposed to Kennedy?

How do we know? Everyone is different and he is still very inexperienced. Did well Rd One because he had a great pre season and played all the practice matches. Got confidence and got on a roll. This was the issue with him previously being injured a lot. Never got a clear crack at it. Easing him back may be best for him?

We don't but I would back being told "you are a key member of our team and we need you straight back" is better for a persons confidence than "go back and find some touch in the 2's and force your way back in". I would also think that when you know your draft peers (Weitering, Curnow, McKay) would all be brought straight back in having to come back through the 2's would demonstrate how much you have been left behind.

But that is just me.

I am surprised to discover that the Launceston oval dimensions are 175m x 145m.
Almost the same size as the MCG 171m x 146m.
Marvel stadium is a lot smaller at 160m x 129m.
Will the extra size suit our clearance advantage & midfield strength?
You would think it also give the tall forwards more space to work with.
What are your thoughts folks?
even at our deepest depths of ineptitude we've still always been a 5 goal better side at the G. this is a good thing.

We don't but I would back being told "you are a key member of our team and we need you straight back" is better for a persons confidence than "go back and find some touch in the 2's and force your way back in". I would also think that when you know your draft peers (Weitering, Curnow, McKay) would all be brought straight back in having to come back through the 2's would demonstrate how much you have been left behind.

But that is just me.

Like I said, How do we know? Everyone is different

Kennedy in the guts, Fisher, SPS, Gibbons, Thomas etc rotating forward

Can't rotate Thomas forward yet without Williamson in the team.

And after last week, we'd want to minimise Samo's time forward as much as possible. Tremendous on-baller.

Gibbons has demonstrated that he is not a good forward.

Fisher and Murphy are the only options, which still leave us shorthanded in terms of personnel and impact.

Enter... David Cuningham.

Marchbank actually played a number of match sims and did a lot of contact work before playing. Cuningham has only just joined full training and had no contact work for 4 weeks.

Like I said can't compare one with the other
The injury report says he will have had two weeks of full training in the lead up to this weeks game. Surely there would be contact if that’s the case.

Sure we are going over old ground here

For the last time, Cuners played one exceptional half of football, 17 disposals, for the year and has now missed 4 weeks of football. Surely recent game time and touch is an important factor?

While I see him as best 22, he has NEVER cemented a spot, so having a run at VFL is not an unconventional option

Personally, I would recall Kennedy for Polson as the only change

That all depends on what he has been able to do at training, by the sounds of things he has been able to do skills and fitness work pretty much all the way through and has had 2 weeks of full training. I wouldn't be surprised if he has lost very little touch and would be much cleaner than Polson.

But that is just me.

I see it the same way. Have to reward his outstanding pre-season and 1st game and instill that confidence back into Cunners. He's a key contributor moving forward.

IMO cuningham to polson is a no brainer. His natural game will be to get up the ground a bit more than polson but if he's not 100% fit and needs to park himself inside 50 for long stretches then i'm okay with that too given his goal sense.

He had a strong preseason so his fitness base should not be an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said, How do we know? Everyone is different

An elite athlete being happier to play second grade than top level would be different I will grant you that.

And all I can offer is my opinion, if the club (the only people who do know) think differently then I trust them, but given this is an opinion site I think you are setting the bar a little high.

IMO cuningham to polson is a no brainer. His natural game will be to get up the ground a bit more than polson but if he's not 100% fit and needs to park himself inside 50 for long stretches then i'm okay with that too given his goal sense.

He had a strong preseason so his fitness base should not be an issue.

Has anyone questioned his fitness?

Just saying if he has something we need lack of playing time will not be an impediment. Marchbank inclusion suggests that.

Yes but Russell constantly states in his injury reports that we are getting continuous blocks of good training into players before they come back.
He is not going to let anyone play if their bodies are not up to it.
I am loving his attitude and practices and I trust him to get our players ready.

An elite athlete being happier to play second grade than top level would be different I will grant you that.

And all I can offer is my opinion, if the club (the only people who do know) think differently then I trust them, but given this is an opinion site I think you are setting the bar a little high.

Like I said I don't know and there are so many variables. Cuningham up until this year wasn't best 22 and has played 1 decent game and now he is vital after 4 games out? I don't get it.

Happy for him to play if they believe he is ready but just don't get the "certainty" aspect of his selection

Like I said I don't know and there are so many variables. Cuningham up until this year wasn't best 22 and has played 1 decent game and now he is vital after 4 games out? I don't get it.

Happy for him to play if they believe he is ready but just don't get the "certainty" aspect of his selection

See I disagree he wasn't best 22 prior to this year, if he had been able to get on the park he would have been in my best 22.

As for being vital now look at the alternatives, Polson simply isn't an offensive threat and has laid 5 tackles in 3 games, Gibbons does his best work out of the forward line and there are still plenty of question marks on him and Kennedy hasn't showed any real form this year and has hardly played in recent weeks either. Cuningham has shown is a better option than all 3.

Different for a seasoned player to come into a good side. Big difference. Last year many were questioning if he was any good?

I have no issue if Cuningham is picked but I don't think it's the "certainty" that people believe. He is young (17 games) and so is our side. Missed 4 weeks and is a confidence player. To get a full game in the 2's this week wouldn't be a bad thing in so many areas.

I know what you're saying here, but wouldn't including him in the 22 also show him that we as a club we are confident in him, in-turn giving him confidence? Two ways to look at it.

I know what you're saying here, but wouldn't including him in the 22 also show him that we as a club we are confident in him, in-turn giving him confidence? Two ways to look at it.

I agree, but like I said I don't know. Lots of assumptions without any actual knowledge.

He may well get more out of playing a game in the 2's getting a few touches and coming in with confidence. When you look at his limited data so far he has been better the more games he has played in a row. Continuity seems important.

But that is just me.

Just viewed your post after writing something similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back