Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to speak for Soapy but the argument is:

- Don’t break-up a winning team.

- Due to his injury Cuner’s has done limited contact work. So he might be fit, but may not be match fit.

- Cuner’s might or might not be top 22. That’s not been established given all the form we’ve got to go one is JLT and the match against Richmond. In other words, he shouldn’t be viewed as an automatic selection.

I don’t agree with 1. I partly agree with 2 but think that AR would have this covered and as for 3... fair enough, but if we are doing an apples to apples comparison, his output will be greater than Polson who he will likely be replacing.

[Apologies if I’ve missed something].

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app?

Point 1 is definitely not legit I agree, as Polson contributed basically nothing to the win.

Point 2- if Russell has given the green light we should proceed with his selection.

3. He might be on the edge of best 22, but he's the best choice for right now.

Can't rotate Thomas forward yet without Williamson in the team.

And after last week, we'd want to minimise Samo's time forward as much as possible. Tremendous on-baller.

Gibbons has demonstrated that he is not a good forward.

Fisher and Murphy are the only options, which still leave us shorthanded in terms of personnel and impact.

Enter... David Cuningham.

Plow, we could be discussing GAJ and Cuners name would still be preferred, which I get, but still not an automatic selection for me

That all depends on what he has been able to do at training, by the sounds of things he has been able to do skills and fitness work pretty much all the way through and has had 2 weeks of full training. I wouldn't be surprised if he has lost very little touch and would be much cleaner than Polson.

I think these discussions have become circular, I see it differently to most, perhaps I will leave it

Then you’re not reading what is being discussed
you want him to get some confidence in his game back by playing in the 2s before coming into the side.

the difference with cuningham this year compared to previous years is he's not really required to bolster the midfield. if he can, great but right now we only really need him to be dangerous around goals and perhaps provide a few bursts in the middle when the main guys need a rest. that is and always has been well within his repertoire even when he was underwhelming in his first few years.

i know the sample size is small but every piece of available evidence suggests he's ready to step up and be a solid best 22 player. and the only reason a best 22 player plays a game in the 2s is to get match fitness when returning from injury.

Arr0w Kennedy didn't look particularly good last week and he played in a position he had every opportunity to show plenty.

The NB's haven't been, nor look like being a place for forwards to develop.
Look at the bests from last week; Goddard, Macreadie, Williamson, Stocker.......see the pattern? No Fasolo, no Garlett, no Lang and if Cuningham had have played, I dare to guess, no Cuningham.

We cite players requiring touch and therefor should come back via the NB's and that's fair enough, but if it's touch alone the fumbling portrayed by Polson (over a period of time) and O'Brien last weekend, deserve some time in the league below, also.

Now we are getting somewhere

While some of the players you mentioned have had some exposed form, Cuners has had none over the last 4 weeks, yet we want to go back slightly further to make an argument for Cuners, but we can't for other players?

Anyway, time to move on, one change here or there at the moment is not what is crucial to our fortunes here and now, nor in the future

How good is Hawthorn's recruiting and development by the way?

Not only did they go out of their way to find a guy called Mitchell Lewis after Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis left, but they actually turned him into an AFL player.

Let's not get too excited. He may well be the next Tim O'Brien or Andrew Merrington.

They developed some solid youngsters but much of their recruiting in recent times been off the back of having been in premiership window recently, easy to attract free agents and players from other clubs seeking trades. They done well drafting Worpel late but still I unsure where their elite young talent for next decade is. When Roughy and Burgyone gone could easily slide way down ladder. But there is no doubt they are well coached and at very least develop solid players in Box Hill but not having elite young kids in recent drafts probably going to bite hard , sooner than later. Not sure the Hardwick's, Howe's and Morrison are game changers for coming decade. The jury is still out where they are going in coming years. A good test for both clubs this weekend to see how we going in relation to each other. In short term they still got a quality forward line and well coached so can win. We need to aim to be better if we want to develop more this actual season.

I've been reading this interesting but somewhat circular Polson/Cunningham discussion and I realise that I don't actually mind which way they go...I've got this unfamiliar feeling....am I somewhat content that our injury list has reduced dramatically from the last few seasons to the point where we can now actually have this debate....AND...we have options....weird.

Imagine in a few weeks if/when Charlie, DC, Bam Bam and Setters are all fit and available, we might actually be in the position to give some of our 1-3 year players like Walsh, Dow, SPS and Fish a rest/manage niggles if they need it rather than having to "endure" - keeping them fresh(ish) for the whole season

We won't know ourselves and there'll be all sorts of schizo posting!!!

That was a low act and I think they realised it in the end and changed it back, but it never should have happened in the first place as they where miles in front on the scoreboard and Buddy had already kicked his hundred.
The two lowest acts in football i've seen involved Clarkson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally something clicked last week and I get the need to select players and tweak game plan to better target your next opponents weaknesses but in this case I don’t think we should be making too many changes. We have to try and reproduce last weeks performance before we start getting too cute with selection or tactical changes.

Now we are getting somewhere

While some of the players you mentioned have had some exposed form, Cuners has had none over the last 4 weeks, yet we want to go back slightly further to make an argument for Cuners, but we can't for other players?

Anyway, time to move on, one change here or there at the moment is not what is crucial to our fortunes here and now, nor in the future

There's always a straw that breaks the camels back.
One player shouldn't matter, but it can as when does it start to matter? 2 players? 3? 4?

Re Cuningham. Surely we aren't going to apply a 'you're only as good as you're last quarter' scenario?
We're all just throwing things around as otherwise there may not be a lot to say.
If Cuningham is selected today, it's for a good reason and if he's not..... It may just be for a good reason also.

Just put the best team possible on the park and win. We're all happy that way

Interesting going back over all the posts.

Most wanted LOB & Polson out. Said they did little. Yet neither have been dropped (yet) and LOB is in the 18 and is playing.

I know LOB was praised for the job he did last week by the coach. Very happy. Team game. I know Polson did a similar role (but not sure how well?).

Team ahead of individuals is so important

Most wanted LOB & Polson out. Said they did little. Yet neither have been dropped (yet) and LOB is in the 18 and is playing.

I know LOB was praised for the job he did last week by the coach. Very happy. Team game. I know Polson did a similar role (but not sure how well?).

Doubt his role is doing nothing.

We want the best team possible, for the good of the team. Not singling players out.

And re: Polson, what was his role? Because four touches and two tackles doesn't seem like much of a role.

I am surprised to discover that the Launceston oval dimensions are 175m x 145m.
Almost the same size as the MCG 171m x 146m.
Marvel stadium is a lot smaller at 160m x 129m.
Will the extra size suit our clearance advantage & midfield strength?
You would think it also give the tall forwards more space to work with.
What are your thoughts folks?
Yeah well that’s interesting, I guess we generally play better at the MCG so it can’t hurt although I think the wind will be a big factor down there, could make it hard for the marking targets if igets blowy and especially the kicking for goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back