Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to see the guy back, he is a talent.
But when a bloke cramps up on limited minutes at VFL intensity, he ain't ready.
No matter how much we wish otherwise, he just ain't.

Not sure that cramping and then playing the game out thereafter, suggests anything.
Williamson is unlikely to be selected, but I wouldn't want to be on the basis of, "Never change a winning team' attitude.

I go along with a 'Don't change a fully-functioning backline' but not midfielders or even the forward set-up.
This may have more of a reason for Williamson not playing than for having a cramp in a VFL game.

The MC should select the team best adept against its opponents. That's their job and what they'll do come Thursday night.

LOB kept his opponent to Zero possessions on the time he was on him up until 3/4 time. The coach highlighted this later when praising his game. Also went at 100% DE

Interesting how people view games?
Hunter wasn’t it?

If Charlie comes back in then Casboult has to go out for team balance. That’s the harsh reality of footy. Casboult will get
more opportunities as the backup forward/ruck and when he does let’s hope he’s fit and in good form.

Cuningham is a no-brainer if he’s recovered. Apparently he’s been able to train with the bruised kidney so his fitness should still be good. The obvious players that could make way are Polson and O’Brien, but Polson would be more likely to miss out because he’s notionally been playing forward.

I’m happy for them to persist with O’Brien in a run with role because he has a big tank and it’s a great way for him to learn midfield craft.

It won’t hurt Kennedy, Williamson and Macreadie to get cherry ripe in the NBs before elevating them to the seniors. The selectors now have the luxury of keeping the team largely in tact to develop team cohesion.

It will be another stage in the team’s development to have quality players ready to step up and make an immediate impact.

Some amazing gut running by Murph and Walsh.

LOB has our best top pace and is elite in this category.

Daisy clearly has his legs under him again.

Very happy to see LOB stay in. Super happy to see Murph and Daisy in peak condition.

Clearly gibbo put in a shift too, and is much more suited to high half fwd/mid. He is also suited to not having the ball bombed on his head. I suggested that he showed something in the GC game (but was met with a chorus of voices suggesting he lacked AFL quality). He can be a very handy player for us when we play to his strength. Looked very lively up forwars when he was there. Just needs to get some early touches (something we did very well this week- sharing it around to get almost everyone involved).

Screenshot_20190422-164804_AFL.jpg Screenshot_20190422-164717_AFL.jpg

If Charlie comes back in then Casboult has to go out for team balance. That’s the harsh reality of footy. Casboult will get
more opportunities as the backup forward/ruck and when he does let’s hope he’s fit and in good form

This s going to be a serious match committee conundrum. If Levi goes out Harry is our back up ruck. Big H spent most of the 3rd qtr on the pine gassed.
Levi allows H to roam and be a consistently offensive weapon.
I also think pending fitness Charlie plays.
I also think playing them all risks us going in to tall

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

No way LOB gets dropped. Perfect match-up for Isaac Smith.

Intriguing to see if we go with four tall forwards again. Casboult was ok but he ain’t going to be anything more than a bit player - the question is: do we need a secondary ruckman who isn’t Harry McKay? Hawks unlikely to play two rucks.

Fascinating to see what happens at selection if Charlie C is ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOB kept his opponent to Zero possessions on the time he was on him up until 3/4 time. The coach highlighted this later when praising his game. Also went at 100% DE

You’re right - it’s hard to judge without watching a player’s entire game under the microscope. The stats can’t measure everything eg how many chase downs of a particular small forward caused a kick/handball to go to a contested rather than uncontested situation. We can only assume our coaching team is doing their best to be all over that and that it’s factored in team selection.

For me if Cuningham is fit than he comes in for Polson and that’s about it. After LOB/Murphy’s job on Hunter, LOB stays in and does the same with Smith or Scully.

What I think we will do is out Polson in Curnow

You could be right with either or both of those calls.

I’m not that worried about round 6 selections and feeling more confident in the MC because:

- round 5 selections were good... especially Kreuz plus Cas as cover, playing Liam sore (did well) & not rushing back the other guys.

- bringing Marchy straight in for round 4 was a good call and injury was what kept Kennedy out of round 4 contention (we didn’t know until the week after).

I viewed it positively Soap. Hit targets by foot and provided options all day. Keeping hunter to under 20 touches is no easy task. Definitely stays in to match up on either Smith, Scully or Henderson.

It's not all about winning huge numbers.

Intriguing to see if we go with four tall forwards again. Casboult was ok but he ain’t going to be anything more than a bit player - the question is: do we need a secondary ruckman who isn’t Harry McKay? Hawks unlikely to play two rucks.

Jeez Louise ..... tough ask for the little fella ….. if that happens and he shuts him down … he should never ever leave the firsts.

Some amazing gut running by Murph and Walsh.

LOB has our best top pace and is elite in this category.

Daisy clearly has his legs under him again.

Very happy to see LOB stay in. Super happy to see Murph and Daisy in peak condition.

Clearly gibbo put in a shift too, and is much more suited to high half fwd/mid. He is also suited to not having the ball bombed on his head. I suggested that he showed something in the GC game (but was met with a chorus of voices suggesting he lacked AFL quality). He can be a very handy player for us when we play to his strength. Looked very lively up forwars when he was there. Just needs to get some early touches (something we did very well this week- sharing it around to get almost everyone involved).

View attachment 659713View attachment 659716
Walsh's greatest strength. He's in the top 5 in the league for average distance covered per game. He's played 5.

Jeez Louise ..... tough ask for the little fella ….. if that happens and he shuts him down … he should never ever leave the firsts.
Wouldn't bother tagging Smith, he is definitely carrying an injury and has none of his trademark running power.

Henderson is the one we need to stop, was racking it up on the outside.

Hawks had a lot of passengers today, we're a strong chance of knocking them off. Not sure how serious McEvoy's injury is but he's been outstanding this year and would be a huge out for them.

Wouldn't bother tagging Smith, he is definitely carrying an injury and has none of his trademark running power.

Henderson is the one we need to stop, was racking it up on the outside.

Hawks had a lot of passengers today, we're a strong chance of knocking them off. Not sure how serious McEvoy's injury is but he's been outstanding this year and would be a huge out for them.
Ed to Isaac Smith.
JSos defensive forward role on Henderson.

Looks like Big Boy went off last quarter with a hip flexor.... could be out for next week. Also heard BT say Ceglar is out injured too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back