AFL Autopsy RND 7: Beaten by the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

laverde sadly missed... He may not get huge possessions but feel he's a big presence. I think is important to the backline structure too . Bring in Baldwin and let him play into it, similar size and seemed to be doing well in that pozy in the 2's, Mass can go back to the 2's. Really need to do something before next week. I thought Tipper was important, under normal umpiring would have got 3 frees that weren't paid, should've kicked that goal though. Great to see Weid get a bag, hopefully does wonders for his confidence and becomes a regular thing. Stringer being stringer was great. Parish showed his wares to Geelong recruiters we must keep him .

Phillips was Kepler Bradley-like today, extremely uncoordinated and awkward with little influence, needs a spell in the twos. Hopefully we see the Bryan and Draper combo sooner rather than later. Weid keeping Jones out of the side at this rate. Definitely some positives to take away and considering how undermanned we are atm at least we avoided a drubbing.

Does anyone have the stats (probably Lore) on our first quarters? This year and last year. I know we were good against the pies but that seems like an anomaly.

2022​
2023​
1​
2.1 (-5.4)3.1 (-1.4)
2​
4.5 (+3.4)3.4 (+0.2)
3​
0.4 (-3.1)1.1 (-4.3)
4​
5.3 (+1.1)2.8 (-0.4)
5​
1.4 (-0.4)5.4 (+1.2)
6​
2.2 (-1.0)3.2 (+1.4)
7​
2.3 (-0.4)2.0 (-4.3)
8​
2.2 (-1.5)
9​
2.3 (-3.2)
10​
1.2 (-1.1)
11​
0.6 (-3.2)
12​
BYE
13​
3.2 (-0.5)
14​
4.5 (+2.4)
15​
5.5 (+2.2)
16​
2.2 (-3.0)
17​
2.3 (0.0)
18​
4.4 (+0.3)
19​
0.1 (-6.1)
20​
5.1 (+2.3)
21​
3.3 (-0.2)
22​
3.4 (-1.2)
23​
3.2 (-3.1)
Won
6​
3​
Lost
15​
4​
Tied
1​
Won Qtr/Won Game
4​
2​
Won Qtr/Lost Game
2​
1​
Lost Qtr/Won Game
2​
2​
Lost Qtr/Lost game
13​
2​
Drew Qtr/Won game
1​

Who do you reckon is more unhappy with that? Chris for giving up 100+ points to Essendon without any real avenue to goal or Brad for giving up 130 and 11 to Cameron and Hawkins?

I would say they’re both equally unhappy.

I would love to see across the afl tackles made v free kicks paid in the tackles per team
Wed be lucky to get 1 in 10 of the ******* thingsv when we tackle and 8 in 10 dropping the ball when we are tackled
AFL just shits me these days is too inconsistent
Further to that, I would love to see the differential in frees resulting in shots on goal. Feels like we are so far behind in this regard in recent years

Th
2022​
2023​
1​
2.1 (-5.4)3.1 (-1.4)
2​
4.5 (+3.4)3.4 (+0.2)
3​
0.4 (-3.1)1.1 (-4.3)
4​
5.3 (+1.1)2.8 (-0.4)
5​
1.4 (-0.4)5.4 (+1.2)
6​
2.2 (-1.0)3.2 (+1.4)
7​
2.3 (-0.4)2.0 (-4.3)
8​
2.2 (-1.5)
9​
2.3 (-3.2)
10​
1.2 (-1.1)
11​
0.6 (-3.2)
12​
BYE
13​
3.2 (-0.5)
14​
4.5 (+2.4)
15​
5.5 (+2.2)
16​
2.2 (-3.0)
17​
2.3 (0.0)
18​
4.4 (+0.3)
19​
0.1 (-6.1)
20​
5.1 (+2.3)
21​
3.3 (-0.2)
22​
3.4 (-1.2)
23​
3.2 (-3.1)
Won
6​
3​
Lost
15​
4​
Tied
1​
Won Qtr/Won Game
4​
2​
Won Qtr/Lost Game
2​
1​
Lost Qtr/Won Game
2​
2​
Lost Qtr/Lost game
13​
2​
Drew Qtr/Won game
1​
Thanks I appreciate that. Oh well that’s a lot better than last year still 50/50 though.

Still had an influence at the centre bounces once he got in there . Parish started to win more of the footy out of the middle when Setterfield and Stringer went in .
Setterfield may not have had a big offensive game but his size was a plus when Scott finally put him in later in the first quarter.
Plenty of the 1st quarter centre clearances were from Stringer's direct opponent.

When we're on top, he can be a benefit in there. But for all of his stats from today; it was his first 20 minutes that killed any chance we had.

I'm not that concerned about today tbh.
Geelong are absolutely lethal if you give them a chance - and it felt like they pretty much scored off of every mistake and skill error we made. This is a side that won, what was it - 16 games in a row before coming back underdone after a flag?
We fought our way back into it multiple times and made the margin respectable after a start that in prior years well and truly would've ended up being an 80 point drubbing. Not to mention off a 5 day break. Shows the group is hungry and playing with effort.
Like yeah, it stings to lose after tasting some wins early on in the season - but I reckon there were some little wins across the board today, and made me think we can match it with almost every team this year.

Rucks a disgrace today. Essentially the main reason we lost. Bad.
Our rucks looked poor because they played the best.
Geelong don't have a standout ruck, but they do have the best players that can muscle and dominate the ball from the opp ruck taps.

Anyways, we played better this year, than last time. If Setterfield had played in the mid at the very start the game might've been a bit closer still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, that was kind of a good loss given the 5 day break, up against reigning premiers and perennial top 4ers and giving up a 6 goal start. Pies are struggling in a game they were favourites (albeit a danger game against an up and about Crows) whereas we were supposed to lose. The 5 day break is hard.

When you look at the 3 or 4 absolute give away goals we gave up, to only lose by 5 goals was pretty credible. We simply have to get better at some of that. And for gods sake don't put Langford in defence hack kicking it to the opposition.

Need to do something to shake things up in the ruck now too. Neither Draper or Phillips are high possession ruckmen (by ruck standards). Time to give Bryan a go or bring in Jones and Weid can chop out. If 2MP was available, Phillips wouldnt be playing.

Great to see Walla out there and whilst he didnt get a lot of the pill, he kicked 1 goal and must have set up 2 or 3 others.

Would be great to snag one of the next two and would be in good shape to take on Tiges.

It’s funny cos we’re so used to Essigngton we get these blowout predictions from posters before difficult games for good reason. I’m having these weird feelings that I haven’t felt for a ages in that when things aren’t going our way we are going to roll the dice and change things up to get things back on our terms. Insanity is when you keep trying the same thing and expect different results.
I was heartened to hear Brad say last week that it’s going to probably take him some time before he realises what his best team looks like. It shows he has the ability to tinker, fine tune and adapt until he has the formula right.
I reckon putting Stringer in the middle with Setterfield would have been one of those moments he enjoyed today, just to see what happens.

Our rucks looked poor because they played the best.
Geelong don't have a standout ruck, but they do have the best players that can muscle and dominate the ball from the opp ruck taps.

Anyways, we played better this year, than last time. If Setterfield had played in the mid at the very start the game might've been a bit closer still.
I reckon they looked poor because only three players didn't register a single mark today and two of them were Drapes and Flip. The only Geelong player not to register a mark was human cannonball Tom Atkins.

Rucks were poor there is usually 1 or 2 things that Drapes does in most games that sticks in my head but they looked timid today.

Last edited:
These rucks only thrive when they are hunting. Have to learn to be Nankervis like. You cant impact around the ground as much when essentially being tagged but that doesnt mean you cant hurt bodies around the contest all day.

Who do you reckon is more unhappy with that? Chris for giving up 100+ points to Essendon without any real avenue to goal or Brad for giving up 130 and 11 to Cameron and Hawkins?

I would say they’re both equally unhappy.

Cats have been busting games and cruising.

If you're going to cruise percentage and that sort of thing is not as much of a concern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back