Preview Rnd 7 - Carlton v Port Sunday 19th July 1.05PM @ the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

:carlton: V :port:

Not too sure as yet where our games is being played, QLD or WA?

Hopefully no changes if there are no injuries.

Ins & Outs

Go for it ...

sorry for being late to the party Aph. But I thought this one had been slated for the Gabba. Are there reports we are now being shipped off to WA?

sorry for being late to the party Aph. But I thought this one had been slated for the Gabba. Are there reports we are now being shipped off to WA?

Saw someone (journo) mention on Twitter the other day that we maybe heading off to the WA hub.

Haven't seen anything since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dry day bodes well for us, forwards will hopefully use the space and continue to keep out of each others’ way.

Don’t see a need for any unforced change.

Win this and watch the belief skyrocket. Given our history of not dealing well with success, I think it’s great we’re playing the ladder leaders - no room for complacency.

After this game we’ll have played five of the other seven top eight teams.... sets up beautifully for the run home.

I hate to pile on Newnes, but if we are going to play someone who does some good things and also does a host of dumb ones, including panic bombing ~60% of their possessions, I would rather it be a young player. I get that he is a mature body but it doesn't serve him all that well in contests or around the footy... Reckon we have enough mature bodies around the pill now (thanks Matt Kennedy), don't really think his form warrants staying in on this metric alone anymore.

Would think 'false start' Fisher gets his spot in what's probably the only unforced changed. Not sure O'Brien or Stocker are banging down the door for his spot, but one that might be is Josh Honey. Reserves watchers may be able to fill me in more on these guys, but the role player spot that Newnes is occupying in our side could be filled by him going off the most recent write-up of his half-game performance...

[Honey] absolutely blew up the GPS: I think he had the second most amount of sprints but only played half the time. That just shows what we can get from him, which is really exciting moving forward. His ability to break away from a contest and then get on the second or third chain is exceptional. He’s an exciting prospect.

How's his form been? Looks to have a body ready to play AFL and is fit enough from a tank POV. Is a very similar build to Newnes already so very much like for like.

No changes unless forced

This is a 30/70 game to me, we are a chance but they are in ripping form and will tear you up on the outside if you let them. We need to win the contested ball quite well I feel to be in with a chance, would be good if Crippa could have a big one.

Our efficiency up forward and pressure when we don’t have the ball will be vital.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m fast forwarding to a world where we don’t have Covid-19 and don’t have players people want dropped every week regardless of how either they or the team perform. Without understanding what the coaches have told them to do, no less.

you may say I’m a dreamer...

Out Murphy (injured) Newnes (omit)
In Fisher O'Brien

Back 7
Writers Jones Plowman Williamson Docherty SPS Simpson

Utility
Pittonet Levi McGovern McKay Betts

Inside
Cripps Curnow Setterfield Martin Kennedy

Outside
Walsh Gibbons Fisher OBrien Cunnigham

Exactly my thoughts on the changes. I think Newnes has had a block of 5 weeks now and isn't our future would much rather have Walsh & O'Brien on the wings. Fishers run will also be very handy.

I hate to pile on Newnes, but if we are going to play someone who does some good things and also does a host of dumb ones, including panic bombing ~60% of their possessions, I would rather it be a young player. I get that he is a mature body but it doesn't serve him all that well in contests or around the footy... Reckon we have enough mature bodies around the pill now (thanks Matt Kennedy), don't really think his form warrants staying in on this metric alone anymore.

Would think 'false start' Fisher gets his spot in what's probably the only unforced changed. Not sure O'Brien or Stocker are banging down the door for his spot, but one that might be is Josh Honey. Reserves watchers may be able to fill me in more on these guys, but the role player spot that Newnes is occupying in our side could be filled by him going off the most recent write-up of his half-game performance...

How's his form been? Looks to have a body ready to play AFL and is fit enough from a tank POV. Is a very similar build to Newnes already so very much like for like.

Been highlighted by a few people in other threads, but worth reiterating - Newnes' work off the ball is being rewarded as much, if not more so, than what he's doing with it. Impacting contests at both ends of the ground, denying the opposition the easy outlet kicks that we've always left open in the past. He may get dropped at some point, and I think LOB should absolutely have his eye on that spot, but I feel like we're a little way away from that yet.

Honey had more sprints than anyone else, but only played half the gametime...do you think those two statements might be linked in some way? Keen to see him, but reckon it'll be a "late season debut" if at all. Owies pushing a strong case for next cab off the rank as a small forward.

Task for the coaches is backing it up. It's completely one thing to belt around a side you like playing against - apparently, all our scores over 100 for the last however long have been against the Dogs - but it's completely another to take it up to a contender over 4 terms.

A few years back, Charlie Dixon taught Jacob Weitering a footy lesson, and was quite in his face about it. I'd love to see him Weitering go to him and sit on him all game, keeping him down.

I despise Port Adelaide. Let's see how we go.

Strangely, more confident about this game than the Dogs game .. somewhat dependant on Cripps’ health.

Reckon we match-up well against Port and if Cripps is fit (doubtful), no Ebert is a bonus.

Port are a bit like Bombers - have a few wins but 4 of those are Suns (Rd1), Crows, Dockers, Eagles. Smoked by Lions and then a decent win in a fairly ordinary game against the Giants. Jury still out, imo.

We bring the attitude of last night and we’re a very good shot. Feel like that’s the case for us most weeks now.

Reckon it’ll be an entertaining game regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back