Preview Rnd 7 - Carlton v Port Sunday 19th July 1.05PM @ the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspect that you are overrating Port/underrating us. I would have us 50/50 at worst. How do they match up on or forwards if we get reasonable supply?

They deserve to be favourites, they are top of the ladder despite playing in QLD every game and just beat GWS.

We're certainly capable of beating anyone though if we're 'on' like the Dogs game.

There was some commentary about them struggling against oppo teams with a tall forward line (like ours). We have to beat their midfield obviously as their forward line is also quite good.

Quick read of their board they reckon they lost to Lions because of losing the centre clearances and their tall forwards doing damage...2 things we are typically good at.

Quick read of their board they reckon they lost to Lions because of losing the centre clearances and their tall forwards doing damage...2 things we are typically good at.
They'll be just as worried about us, as we are of them.
Play like we did last game and we've got this.
Feel more comfortable about this game than i did the Bulldogs.....

They'll be just as worried about us, as we are of them.
Play like we did last game and we've got this.
Feel more comfortable about this game than i did the Bulldogs.....

Haha i don't...not confident in our ability to back it up and play to that level week after week.

We've shown so far this year that we can't maintain that level...but we can always hope we've turned the corner.

They have basically played one bad quarter all year.

Just saying they are a very good team :)
And have pretty much no tall defenders with Clurey at 193cm, McKenzie 191 cm and Jonas at 188 cm to match Harry (204cm) and Levi (200 cm). Sunday saying no rain in Brisbane and not too windy. Quick supply and we'll be O.K.
Just saying that we haven't played too many bad quarters either. Couple of costly ones though.

And have pretty much no tall defenders with Clurey at 193cm, McKenzie 191 cm and Jonas at 188 cm to match Harry (204cm) and Levi (200 cm). Sunday saying no rain in Brisbane and not too windy. Quick supply and we'll be O.K.
Just saying that we haven't played too many bad quarters either. Couple of costly ones though.

Are their defenders really that short? Didn't realise.

Definitely an area we can exploit then. Though they were obviously able to contain the likes of Cameron/Himmelberg/Finlayson at GWS and Kennedy/Darling at WC so it'll still be about how we move the ball into our F50.

So just found out from the PA board that they actually flew home to Adelaide after last week's game and will be flying back to Brisbane on SUNDAY MORNING for our game...which i find a strange decision since they play at Adelaide Oval in rd 8. They could have just waited 1 more week before moving back to Adelaide for a block of time.

Surely getting up early and having a flight for a few hours on the morning of a game isn't ideal preparation at all.

The few times i've gotten up for an early flight to Sydney or Brisbane from Melbourne i'm pretty damn tired when i get off the plane...these guys have to play a game of football.

What a position we are in... to be playing the team thats good enough and rightfully on top of the ladder... yet here we are, in with a massive chance to beat the ladder leaders, off the back of some very good form against the dogs.. if we can somehow win this. Alot of supporters will be waking up to just how good this team could be... it will be some world to live in to see a carlton side respected by the whole footy competition

I think we need to temper expectations a little bit for this week...

Last week was a good win against a good side that I think will make finals (pending form line away from Marvel) though it was not the 'thumping' the final scoreline suggested...

The first quarter was a great one for us, and the three goal lead we had coming out of it was reflective of the play in that quarter...

The key to winning the game however was our efficiency inside 50 in Q2 and Q3, mostly created by them controlling the play but being unable to get a goal, and on the back of that us keeping our structure forward of the ball so that we could get a good look on the few occasions we breached their 'wall' at the defensive 50...had they converted more of their opportunities inside 50 and/or we hadn't converted some of ours, they could easily have gone into 3/4 time even if not with a slight lead...

That brings us to Q4 where they miss an early shot to bring them within 2 goals, and we kick 2 down the other end to make them pay...from there the scoreline blew out as they took risks to try to win it, rather than play safe to make it an 'honourable loss'...those risks didn't pay off, leading to the massive margin...

We have been on the receiving end of this situation on a number of occasions even this year, in particular Q2 against Richmond where we controlled much of the play to put on only 1 goal, only for Richmond to quickly score 3 in as many minutes on the rebound late in the quarter...there was a bit of that also in Q3 v the Saints where we couldn't convert...

Point is there is a fine line between a good win and a loss...we are not going to be able to be as efficient as we were against the Dogs every week, and still have quite a bit to prove to show we can consistently match it with the best

Great post.
Main point however is, we can replicate all that every week. Keeping the pressure up throughout the game, makes the opposition miss their opportunities when they have their runs and then making sure you take your opportunities when they are presented, is what makes a win instead of a loss. Have seen it all year with every side and no reason we can't have that every week. Let's not be afraid of the winners mentality and bit of 'can do' attitude.

Our biggest 'weakness' is our inability to play our best footy for 4 quarters week in week out (this is what the best teams are able to do). Our worst is poor, while our best can be anything.
Bring the attitude, the intensity, and aggressiveness each week + the sense of belief and the boys will be able to achieve anything.

I went to the last game in Adelaide Rnd 2 20 19.
We lost Charlie Curnow with a knee in the first quarter. After Curnow went off we lapsed and failed to goal in the second term., they kicked 4 goals. We were the equal of Port in the other 3 terms. There were 9 different players in the Carlton team on Sunday against thr Dogs, that played in Adelaide. We are much better with Betts, Martin, Pittonet, Docherty, Casboult, Kennedy, Williamson, Cunningham.
Fasolo, Pickett, Thomas, Polson, Philips, Newman, Fisher, Charlie, Dow. Of these Newman, Thomas (?) and a fit C. Curnow would have played last Sunday.
We are now a better balanced side with a dangerous forward line , settled defence, and stronger mids/ruck. If we go in with the same attitude as against the Dogs then we can win .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent, huge support over there and will feel like a home ground advantage, even against local teams they make a lot of noise

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty sure we go straight after the North game.

So just found out from the PA board that they actually flew home to Adelaide after last week's game and will be flying back to Brisbane on SUNDAY MORNING for our game...which i find a strange decision since they play at Adelaide Oval in rd 8. They could have just waited 1 more week before moving back to Adelaide for a block of time.

Surely getting up early and having a flight for a few hours on the morning of a game isn't ideal preparation at all.

The few times i've gotten up for an early flight to Sydney or Brisbane from Melbourne i'm pretty damn tired when i get off the plane...these guys have to play a game of football.

This is correct. This will be the second week in a row they’ve had to go up and back in the same day.

I imagine it will be a 6am flight or something similar - very early start for them.

Yeah that does sound very odd. Not the ideal way to prepare for a game when as you say they're going back to SA after this game anyway.

Good time to get the Eagles/Dockers also I reckon, not in great form.

They'll have a bit of crowd support though.

They haven't been in great form but might be rejuvenated being back in WA and playing at Optus.
WC in particular i can see picking up their game back at home...they haven't seemed happy in the QLD hub.
Freo had a good win against Saints despite injury issues but we should be too good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back