Preview Rnd 7 - Carlton vs Essendon* Sunday 2 May 3:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1104

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact the match committee have ‘liked’ and ‘accepted’ the games of Newnes, Gibbons and Cottrell compared to SPS and Murphy is fascinating. But ok - Murphy is injured.....

They're probably on their last legs too Surrey. Newnes and Gibbo put in some solid performances at the start which I think has saved their bacon. I thought Gibbo definitely should be dropped after last week but they've given him one more chance. Perhaps sps, Williams and Murphy got the axe because we expect more from them.

Cottrell is a nasty bugger. His intent is keeping him in.

It does if you don't want to embarrass your senior players or highly paid recruits.

Mind you, if we lose without them, I wouldn't mind betting we get an 'I told you so' from the coach. Let's just hope that Dow and Owies in particular, go okay.
Do you honestly believe Murphy and Willians wouldn't extract the proverbial urine in the VFL? They couldn't embarrass themselves at that level on their worst day.

I understand not wanting to publicly embarrass them by dropping them to the VFL. If that's what you meant, then I see your point. Although the club should be ashamed if that's how they're handling it.

If Williams is unfit, make him gain match fitness in the VFL. He's not gonna get it running laps around Princes Park.

Ditto for Murphy and his defensive pressure. A genuine rest week at his age is understandable, bit if that's what it is, why not just say it?

As silly as it sounds, I truly hope they are somewhat injured/sore, because the alternative is just pathetic behaviour by the club.

Tactics will be interesting. Selection suggests both sides will want to stretch the opposition defense, who blinks?

We really need to dominate their smaller mids, Teague needs to make it a contested game, yet I feel he wants even more manic speed. Hope he finds the right balance between the two

Jones/Wright as the third tall scares me. I don’t think either are particularly good (Jones can be in time) but anyone with 10cm on their direct opponent can cause havoc.

Need Gov to fire up the other end in the similar role.

I don’t think Murphy is part of our best 22.

But Jesus, some of the comments on his omission (injured) is bloody disgraceful and you should be ashamed to call yourselves “supporters”. Keyboard warriors
Yep, the comments by some of the mouthbreathers that haven't kicked a footy since Auskick toward someone that's smashed their body for the club & jersey are ******* laughable.
Past his best? Sure
Poor defensively? Yep.
Done more for our club than the rest of us combined? Absolutely.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're probably on their last legs too Surrey. Newnes and Gibbo put in some solid performances at the start which I think has saved their bacon. I thought Gibbo definitely should be dropped after last week but they've given him one more chance. Perhaps sps, Williams and Murphy got the axe because we expect more from them.

Cottrell is a nasty bugger. His intent is keeping him in.

I’d hardly think the opposition are intimidated by Matthew Cottrell and all his 80kgs. Ridiculous if he’s playing because he’s ‘nasty’.
Might sound brutal but he’s showed nothing to suggest he’s bonafide AFL material other than elite endurance.

of course, hope he proves me wrong today but think he’s lucky to be playing due to our lack of a genuine winger.

I’d hardly think the opposition are intimidated by Matthew Cottrell and all his 80kgs. Ridiculous if he’s playing because he’s ‘nasty’.
Might sound brutal but he’s showed nothing to suggest he’s bonafide AFL material other than elite endurance.

of course, hope he proves me wrong today but think he’s lucky to be playing due to our lack of a genuine winger.

Nah not saying he's intimidating. Just reckon they rate the way he goes about it and hope by adding game time he'll lift in the skills department.

I don't really understand what you disagree with but sure.
The senior boys have been given opportunity to correct their efforts. As they should.

Now we see the axe starting to swing. Hopefully won't be too much more if the rest pull their finger out and we start to kick a bit of arse out there.
We'll see.

My biggest disagreement is that SPS was sold up the river after given 1 game in his rightful position, while Newnes and Gibbons have stunk it up for 3 weeks. Kennedy gets dropped back to the 2nd without given a ‘fair run’ while McGovern still maintains his position. O’Brien has been busting a gut for 13 months, gets one game - round 1 and still no other opportunity, while other are back after 1 VFL game. Surprised Stocker survived for another week, so we do have some fair play.

Tactics will be interesting. Selection suggests both sides will want to stretch the opposition defense, who blinks?

We really need to dominate their smaller mids, Teague needs to make it a contested game, yet I feel he wants even more manic speed. Hope he finds the right balance between the two

This, there mids were very good against Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah not saying he's intimidating. Just reckon they rate the way he goes about it and hope by adding game time he'll lift in the skills department.
I really like Cottrells intent and energy. However, his disposal is woeful at times and does need to improve. Certainly has a bit of mongrel and I like that. On the other wing I cannot for the life of me fathom why they persist with Newnes. LOB will be a terrific winger and should play 200 games for us going forward. He has his knockers and I can see their valid points about him hearing footsteps and not desiring physical contact vey much. Still reckon he will make it though, his attributes of gut-running and his beautiful left leg make him a wonderful prospect who just needs a block of games on the wing.

They Know We are Coming and pissing themselves laughing
EFA given our recent lack of substance
Lose today and it would be embarrassing but with people like Levi still picked in side to kick for goal and others still getting games on no real impact nothing would surprise me. But FFS, please Levi, McGovern and co. do not embarrass the jumper any more than you already have.

Hopefully the Carlton boys seen what GC , GWS and St Kilda done yesterday with a bit of effort and doing the little things like tackles, shepherding and just hunting the ball in general and bring it to their game today .
Probability alone makes me think we will win. I just got to ignore the team selection and put my faith in the guys in team that deserve to be there, to carry the passengers over the line today.

Was caught in the wrong spot a few times last week. Was better in previous weeks.

O’Brien, Cuningham, SPS, Williamson, Carroll, Philp and even Williams disagree.

I really like Cottrells intent and energy. However, his disposal is woeful at times and does need to improve. Certainly has a bit of mongrel and I like that. On the other wing I cannot for the life of me fathom why they persist with Newnes. LOB will be a terrific winger and should play 200 games for us going forward. He has his knockers and I can see their valid points about him hearing footsteps and not desiring physical contact vey much. Still reckon he will make it though, his attributes of gut-running and his beautiful left leg make him a wonderful prospect who just needs a block of games on the wing.

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing LOB get a block of games on the wing especially considering Newnes isn't really providing much lately.

Please play Dow in the guts, stop with these alternate roles. He needs the confidence and consistency in the role he’s best suited for.

I fear if this doesn’t happen soon, we’ll either destroy his career or see him traded elsewhere and then see what could have been.
Given you want him in the guts (not wing) how do you want to mathematically divide the time?

only 3 players can be in a centre square set up (bar the ruckman). Which means there’s 300 percent of game time to divide.

Most mature mids play 80-85 percent game time.

I presume you want Cripps playing 80-85? How do you want the other 215 divided amongst the bevy of players this forum screams out for to play on ball?

“Dow has to play on ball or we will wrec him. “. “Stocker should olay on ball.” “Cunners should play on ball.” “Wd should tag on ball.” “Walsh has to play in the guts.”

These are not your comments (although you made the first. But it’s the pile on of this forum.

So I reckon the EASY bit is to say “play such and such” in the guts.” And the way harder but is to map out how it works.

So interested in your (and others’) thoughts on the maths of the 300.

Cheers.

Do you honestly believe Murphy and Willians wouldn't extract the proverbial urine in the VFL? They couldn't embarrass themselves at that level on their worst day.

I understand not wanting to publicly embarrass them by dropping them to the VFL. If that's what you meant, then I see your point. Although the club should be ashamed if that's how they're handling it.

If Williams is unfit, make him gain match fitness in the VFL. He's not gonna get it running laps around Princes Park.

Ditto for Murphy and his defensive pressure. A genuine rest week at his age is understandable, bit if that's what it is, why not just say it?

As silly as it sounds, I truly hope they are somewhat injured/sore, because the alternative is just pathetic behaviour by the club.
Murphy would get 50 touches on ball in the vfl. He is way too clever for it.

He missed enough of them at GWS - he signed for the money end of story - if he was GWS he would still be getting the job done on the HBF and missing his 4-7 games a year --
Why make s**t up? Not even that hard to look up that he’s played 22+ games 3 of the last 5 years, the other years being his ruptured achilles and then last years COVID season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back