Preview Rnd 7 - Carlton vs Essendon* Sunday 2 May 3:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1104

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both teams come into this match on the back of underwhelming, hot-and-cold form.....Well, warm-and-cold is probably more accurate.

We (and the media) have talked about Carlton's start to the season ad nauseum. So, about *? Well, it's been quite similar to ours, actually. Two very lousy losses, a couple of close matches and a thumping win. One of those close losses came in round 1 when they were up by 39 points at half time only to lose by a point. It was truly wonderful and proof that the footy gods do giveth as well as taketh.

Given each team is a Jekyll And Hyde proposition in terms of effort and output, who knows how this game will turn out. But let's look at how the teams match up.

Game Style
  • We are very much a kick-first team, they love to handball
  • We play a slightly more contested game than them
  • We are a better clearance team; slightly at centre clearances, marked diff from stoppage clearances
  • Disposal efficiency is v slightly in their favour, but that would be expected given their handball-heavy game
  • We average more marks (kick-heavy), more marks i50 and contested marks
  • Despite their most running, uncontested game, we average more running bounces
  • They are more accurate in front of goal, which they need to be given they enter i50 ~10% less than us
Key Matchups

TBA

Prediction

Depends on what each team brings on the day. We are currently (@ 24-Apr) solid favourites to win this one and think we might outmuscle on them on the day. Carlton by 193.

Sorry, the 3 was a typo.

Or was it?

Last edited:
My cheersquad mole sent me pics of the banners again:

1619244713261.png

And the other side

1619245474531.png

Last edited:

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Out: Murphy, Betts, Curnow, Newnes, Cottrell, Gibbons
In: Setterfield, LOB, Owies, Kennedy, Honey, Ramsay

B: Docherty, Jones, Plowman
HB: McGovern Weitering Saad
C: LOB Setterfield Williams
HF: Cunners Harry Fogarty
F: Kennedy Casboult Owies
C: Pitt Cripps Walsh

I/C: Honey Stocker SPS Ramsay

Move McGuts back to play intercept 3rd defender. He’s not a forward, too lazy and doesn’t impact the game enough. We really need a intercepter back there, Parks has been seriously missed! Only retained as we have no one else.

Williams to rotate between wing and half back. The midfield experiment is over. Him and Saad are 2 of the best dashing defenders in the league, Play them there

Setterfield to play full time mid. SPS/Cunners/Fog to play 50/50 Mid/HF

Kennedy in to play a makeshift tall forward

Casboult only survives because we have no other talls/2nd ruck

Curnow while still serviceable, for the benefit of our future we need to move on

Play the kids, they atleast are hungry and will improve with experience

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d like to see Honey get a go. 2 goals & 18 touches in the VFL today playing mostly as a small forward and brings a great amount of energetic forward pressure and craft which we sorely lack
If pressure is what we're after, I'd prefer Owies. Honey only laid the three tackles today, and while Owies didn't kick a goal he got plenty of it and had 3 shots with 5 tackles.

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
If pressure is what we're after, I'd prefer Owies. Honey only laid the three tackles today, and while Owies didn't kick a goal he got plenty of it and had 3 shots with 5 tackles.
Why not both? We desperately need to restructure our forward line

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Why not both? We desperately need to restructure our forward line
I'm down. Let's do that.

Out: Gibbons and Betts.
Don't give a sh*t which one, but choose one and retire Betts

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
Yep.

This is the one time I can ever say that Eddie lost us a game.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back