Preview Rnd 7 - Carlton vs Essendon* Sunday 2 May 3:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1104

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Eddie could do with a spell, but why would we make changes because the media says we should?

No, we should make changes because we think we should based on form. We can't keep relying on players to play one good game every month and then say 'see what happens when we maintain our faith'.

I think Eddie could do with a spell, but why would we make changes because the media says we should?
I didn't say make changes because the media said we should.

It is obvious that Betts is past his best, we need to move past him. It was evident last year. What I was saying about the media is that they are only just starting to call the Betts selection out now. As it is a bit like shooting Bambi.

"We've given a lot of games to young guys in the past, and sometimes you lose that winning culture."

What winning culture :embarrassedv1:
Maybe play players in their best positions, stop gifting "the boys" games and we might get out of this losing culture :eekv1:

In amongst some comments about the balancing act of selecting the best team to win but also with a view to becoming the best side we can be. Said players would be judged on a body of work, not snap decisions from one game (good or bad). That where two similar players are performing at "the same level", we'd opt for the younger of them in the senior side.

Sounds like, as much as the "plan" was to play finals, and probably still is, the club are also wanting to make good long term decisions when it comes to winning flags.

Sounds like Teague's typical spiel, it's becoming harder and harder to support :cryv1:
My mind is starting to wander :sneaky:

1619681722293.png

Some notes:

* Not a fan of dropping players to make a statement
* Believes fans want us to pick a side to win games
* Have played young players in the past but sometimes you lose that winning culture doing this (wtf are we doing now?)
* Murphy and Samo adapted well to different roles
* JSOS and Parks are eligible for senior selection if fit
* Newman and De Koning coming back through the VFL
* All players in the VFL must string several performances together to be considered for senior selection
* Backing Betts in to kick goals
* Keeps saying they are looking at the bigger picture rather than the right now
* Nobody is guaranteed of a spot in the team. Have to get their job done. If a younger guy is at the same level, they will bring him in. (Spat my coffee out)

Lol points 1 through 4 and 10, the guy is delusional.

-Tag Parish, probs never been tagged so Curnow will make him a non factor
-Pittonet really needs to dominate Phillips and give us first use all day
-Cripps has played like a 450k player all year, needs to go back to his second season, get your hands on it and give the first option. We know you want to be Judd and burst away, but it's not your go
-Hit Merret in the ribs late

Why wait until late?

Go hard, go early..............

Why wait until late?

Go hard, go early..............

Think he means a late hit, during his kicking action when his ribs are exposed.

What winning culture :embarrassedv1:
Maybe play players in their best positions, stop gifting "the boys" games and we might get out of this losing culture :eekv1:

Sounds like Teague's typical spiel, it's becoming harder and harder to support :cryv1:
My mind is starting to wander :sneaky:

View attachment 1114393

I dunno, I think there's something to it.

Pumping games into Dow, LOB, SPS, Fisher and Setters, with a lack of quality senior players around them, and with no real depth to challange their spots in the side - you could see how that would breed some complacency.

Marry that up with a "rebuild" mindset where results were less important than incremental personal growth, and you could also see how that would exacerbate the complacency.

Then pile on years of big losses and bottom 6 finishes, and you could see how those players wouod start to lose the "hurt" that good players feel after a loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some notes:

* Not a fan of dropping players to make a statement
* Believes fans want us to pick a side to win games
* Have played young players in the past but sometimes you lose that winning culture doing this (wtf are we doing now?)
* Murphy and Samo adapted well to different roles
* JSOS and Parks are eligible for senior selection if fit
* Newman and De Koning coming back through the VFL
* All players in the VFL must string several performances together to be considered for senior selection
* Backing Betts in to kick goals
* Keeps saying they are looking at the bigger picture rather than the right now
* Nobody is guaranteed of a spot in the team. Have to get their job done. If a younger guy is at the same level, they will bring him in. (Spat my coffee out)
this is really disappointing if Teague actually believes this (points 1, 3, 4 and 10), and disappointing if he doesn't and is just trying to spin BS to placate supporters. I am disappointed.

Some astute responses. Agree with you. I think Ed is just past his use-by date. I also think we’re using Ed far too much for the final product i50 which needs to be a polished user ala SPS or stocker or even Murphy. Poor directive from coaching imo. Players not being told to play to their limitations. Except SPS, who is being limited too far the other way. Some strange decisions being made at the moment.
I don't think it's directive. Ed simply works harder than anyone else (save Walsh) to get to the right spots to be used.

this is really disappointing if Teague actually believes this (points 1, 3, 4 and 10), and disappointing if he doesn't and is just trying to spin BS to placate supporters. I am disappointed.

Point 1 was in response to an oddly framed question - has Teague considered dropping a big name/senior player just to make a statement to everyone else. He said he didn't agree with dropping someone just to make a statement. And that selection should be performance based. I think that's fair enough. Better question would have been "How long do you persist with senior players who are in a form slump".

Point 3 I've addressed in an earlier post. Long story short, it's possible we're putting more stock in making kids fight for a spot rather than just giving them games before they're ready/mature enough.

Point 4 was more about players moving within games - SPS pushing up the ground, Stocker playing deeper in defence at times. He said they all approached it with a great attitude, but only really singled out Stocker for performance. Specifically that he'd only played one game down back in the reserves, that some of his efforts in that game would probably have been exposed at AFL level, that they discussed those things with him and he came into the seniors and showed immediate improvement.

Point 10 is a bit wishy washy. Said if an old and a young player were considered to be dead level in expected performance, that they'd side with youth. But how often will that actually be the case - two blokes fighting for one position who have shown the same sort of form for the best part of a month? Rare.

“Opposition players have said Carlton are a good team but you’re gonna get a window...”

Feels like a conga-line comes through this window every week
I made this assumption a couple of days ago, teams know all they need is about 15 minutes of manic pressure and scoring opportunities, and we're done.

I am not convinced at all that Teague is often playing players out of position. I think today's footballer needs to be able to adapt to play in a variety of roles on the field.

I think finals are shot (sadly I think Essendon will win) but we will come home strong in the 2nd half of the season and win more games than we lose, once we get personnel back.

I am far from convinced that any other top coach in the league could get more out of our list.

Have we (including Teague) overrated our list and it's capabilities ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back