AFL Autopsy Rnd 7: Done by the Blues

I ******* hate losing to the Scum more than most things in this world, but I take a bit of solace out of this knowing our young players are going to be far superior than the false dawn for these shitkickers.

* Carlton.

Just ran out of legs. These young kids though. Going to be a superstar group.

Razor Ray can gobble his own knob.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
Boy we were hot **** after the first quarter. So many very simple mistakes. Can someone source the final "scores from turnovers" for Carlton? And I'm not sure if two of our worst ones would even be counted in there - Cox's punch straight to Fogarty and when Langford smothered Stringer's pick up of the ball and Carlton ended up with the ball with Betts in 50 meters of space. Shocking stuff.

Beyond that, we're a bottom 6 team and when we're playing games against other teams in that neighbourhood my main concern is not being blown out of the water. If we're on the wrong side of a close game I'm not too concerned, but the two 5 goal runs Carlton went on are pretty bloody annoying.

Pressure was down and it cost us.
Experience as well. A few dumb free kicks given away that led to goals.

Ah well. Given where both clubs are at in their development, we really shouldn't have been in it so close to the end of the game.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Happy with the kids. Cox, Jones, Bryan, Perkins.

Non existent defensive running from the midfield. McGrath shocker. Parish got some decent numbers but zero influence.

7 more inside 50s, but the long kicking set up their entire turnover scoring profile. Would have scored another 6-7 goals than us there. Lower the eyes and hit up the short options that were there all day and we win that.

Pretty ugly after quarter time.
We never looked interested defensively; low and behind te end up with 120+ points.
Stringer was very good, love how Perkins and Jones are building, Ridley is so important.

Hopefully Stewart will be better for the run, we need him to improve. Laverde did some good things but gave away too many frees. McGrath's disposal was woeful, not sure Langford really wanted to be out there.

We're just too inconsistent across the board. You expect it from the young guys but some of those mid age range guys leave you wanting a lot more.

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I think anybody who is too critical of that performance doesn’t have a great understanding of football.

Yep losing sucks. But…

Carlton were the better side from midway through the 2nd Quarter and deserved to win. This is a game they should be winning though as many expected (including themselves) to be contending for the top 8 and we were a near lock for the bottom 4.

We walk away from this pretty content in the knowledge that our future (compared with 12 months ago) is looking very bright. The performances today of Perkins, Cox, Bryan, Jones are enough to come away from this with confidence we are on the right track. You can’t blame them for losing today. Some of our more experienced campaigners? Possibly. But we will need more time to get the mix right.

Well done to Carlton and good luck to them playing the Bulldogs and Melbourne over the next two weeks. :)

We will win our 5 or 6 games this year with no delusions of grandeur and solidify our future even more. It’s not about 2021.

I think we will see a lot more games like today (for us) this year. Extremely competitive but not good enough to take the chocolates.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
Maybe I don't give enough credit to scum, but we should of won.

Funny, our "stars" pretty much failed us today. Not good enough.

Now we're bottom 4

BratPack

Team Captain
May 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Too many Passengers. The perils of a young side. It hurts but we'll learn from this one, that's the important thing.

disappointing result but some really great signs from the youngsters, and old man Hooker - hopefully he has a few more years in him.

could have very easily gone our way but as long as Merrett is happy with our trajectory, i’m okay with the performance and the higher draft pick

Back