AFL Autopsy Rnd 7: Done by the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many players playing below what they're capable of. No visible leadership on the field. Plenty of stuff to like. The youth were great, breakout games for Perkins and Jones especially.

But geez, a select handful of players need a ******* rocket up them or a spell in the two's. Poor coaching from Truck I thought too. Let Walsh run around all day and murder us yet they had our most impactful player blanketed, with nobody helping or giving him a chop out.

Turnovers be damned, the margin was well enough within the margin of invalidity that we have to complain about the treatment we receive. It’s not on.

Defensive intent from some were great, but not enough contributors there.
Group obviously need to get fitter still. Were gassed from last week.
Promising signs from Archie and Bryan. Brilliant showing from Jones, wish he went back and kicked the goal in the last 2mins rather than passing off.
McGrath's disposal was really ordinary today.

It was our final last week, so today's outcome was always pretty likely. Despite it being predictable, I tipped with the heart. Like the Bombers, I just don't learn XD

Really loved the kids - Bryan, Jones, Cox and Perkins were great. Walla, Hooksy and Stringer were also quite good.

Razor Ray loves the sound of his own voice and influences games a bit too much, but Carlton really capitalised on their chances whereas we seemed quite tired from midway through the second. Walsh was fantastic and Saad was pretty good too.

Never stopped trying until the end. Gave it our all, kids will learn.

But what was Stringer doing with that long run up though, seriously? Like do you not realised we are pressed for time. What good is such theatrics if it doesn't amount to a goal - I would rather no run up and miss than that.

And as great as Laverde has been, why the jumper pulls? You know they're going to see it - you know it's not going to work out for you - you know there's no need for it. So why?

But both players were instrumental, Lav massive all game - just need to tighten up some of the discipline and momentary lapses that cause 50 metre penalties.

Reasonably happy. Thought we were pretty good.

Jones, Bryan and Perkins... wowee

My thoughts exactly. I smile even harder when I realise they're going to be beaten by a team mate for the rising star! If we can nail this year's draft too ... oh boy!

I think anybody who is too critical of that performance doesn’t have a great understanding of football.

Yep losing sucks. But…

Carlton were the better side from midway through the 2nd Quarter and deserved to win. This is a game they should be winning though as many expected (including themselves) to be contending for the top 8 and we were a near lock for the bottom 4.

We walk away from this pretty content in the knowledge that our future (compared with 12 months ago) is looking very bright. The performances today of Perkins, Cox, Bryan, Jones are enough to come away from this with confidence we are on the right track. You can’t blame them for losing today. Some of our more experienced campaigners? Possibly. But we will need more time to get the mix right.

Well done to Carlton and good luck to them playing the Bulldogs and Melbourne over the next two weeks. :)

We will win our 5 or 6 games this year with no delusions of grandeur and solidify our future even more. It’s not about 2021.

I think we will see a lot more games like today (for us) this year. Extremely competitive but not good enough to take the chocolates.

Losing is not the issue but some of the senior guys like Heppel and Langford made mistakes that i would expect to see the first year players making.

Don't think Carlton really got on top until the last term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we may need to start refreshing a few guys, Cox was cooked, and I'm getting a little annoyed about some of Hams work.

Really disappointed in McGrath throughout the game, some really poor chasing etc and he was panicky, he's gone back to going sideways instead of attacking directly.
Got lots of it and was good very late when we had to go.

Felt like our setups were wrong. We just refused to have anyone standing even near Walsh.

Thought the forward line was great, Jones finally got his rewards.
Hooker is such a leader, truly remarkable what he has managed to do as both a Back and now a forward.
Perkins is getting more involved, so many score involvements.
Stringer and Walla just natural footballers. Jake's one bad spot was that howler kick.

Thought McKay was good late in the game as the heat went out of the midfield pressure. Otherwise Stewart did well.

Disappointing. Just couldn't sustain 4 quarters of high pressure. We're playing the right way, it's just a matter of time. Need to work on stopping the slingshot out of defence in particular

Didn’t bring the hard hat and lunch pail
today - blue collar was missing.

Too many balls not bodylined, too many tackles not stuck. Carlton looked stronger in the contest from first bounce. Plus senior players making skill errors.

Stewart will be better for the run. Adding Franga to the backline with Laverde playing on and killing a 2nd forward is going to be exciting. Franga on third forward and Ridley genuine intercepter.

Two more pre-seasons in the gym for those kids and we have a very good side. Fingers crossed we smash the next two drafts too.

Meh. Hate losing to that scum but a loss at this stage goes further toward another high draft pick at the end of the year. Our young guys are going places. Meanwhile they're light years from ever becoming a force.

A young team who had two periods of lapses that cost a run of goals. Still they never gave up which is a good sign.

I hate losing to Carlton but as far as losing to them this was about as meh as it can be. We’re still trying to play the right way but the execution was inconsistent.

Overall happy enough that we’re building in the right direction.

Losing is not the issue but some of the senior guys like Heppel and Langford made mistakes that i would expect to see the first year players making.

I totally agree. Those two were pretty underwhelming today and not for the first time this year.

Heppell though is a lot closer to the end. Langford will have a career defining year, whatever direction that may be.

Hard to see Heppell being a part of our next finals tilt which is at the very least, a couple of years away. His body doesn’t appear up to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back