AFL Toast RND 8: 3 Point win against the Crows

Because I said that, didn't I? In terms of W/L we're in reasonable shape, with our better players to come back, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Lose and it's typical 'Essington'. Win...well, apparently not winning well enough is a very, very serious issue.
So you think we're not a good team? I'm asking. Do you think we're good?

Forward line is killing us. Should have been quite a few goals up at half time. Get Shiel back next week, Stewart has to play and should have played today.

McKenna has to get his mind back on the job, that fresh air was garbage. Not going to get much back in the next 3 weeks so hard to see a win in our next 4 very tough games

Fumbled a couple of times that was costly, hence okay.
Well if we down grading for a few fumbles then we had 2 good players on the ground for the day.

Forward line is killing us. Should have been quite a few goals up at half time. Get Shiel back next week, Stewart has to play and should have played today.

McKenna has to get his mind back on the job, that fresh air was garbage. Not going to get much back in the next 3 weeks so hard to see a win in our next 4 very tough games
He had two WTF moments that cost goals. The fresh air shot and the stupid 50 on Walker.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not sure that personel is stopping us winning games comfortably (on score board) think it's the new game style.

We are destined to grind victories cause that's now our game. Get used to it and get some Angina medicine...

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I can see both sides. The doom and gloom and the glass half full at least we won despite all our players missing at the moment.
One thing that's crystal clear to me. The forward line structure needs another bloody tall. We all know it. We woulda been winning by about 5 goals at half time if we had actually a proper structure up forward. Hopefully Stewart is ready for next week. Like most sides we aren't stacked with super skilled ball users so you need to have some tall targets to bring the ball to ground sometimes and not just rely on picture perfect kicks to short players on the lead.

Anyway good games from Merrett, Ridley, McGrath. A few others were good contributors. Bellchambers looked a fair bit better after a few scratch games to get some fitness back - yes he struggled to get to the end of the game but at least he competed hard and was a physical presence around the stoppages. O'Brien had quite a few touches (20) but they weren't overly impactful.

We have a few blokes running around that are terribly out of form. Gleeson scarcely hit a target all day, McKenna was attrocious except for his one amazing play (they reckon he'll get suspended as well for his hit - don't remember it right now). Redman really looks down on confidence but I thought his 4th quarter he stepped up and hopefully that final mark will give him a bit of a gee up because I still believe in him as a player. (I don't reckon I'd play him on Cameron next week though). Smith also a long way off his best right now.

I like Langford up forward. Should have had 3 goals if Smith didn't spoil one. Hibberd seemed to get more time in the middle and looked more at home.

At least next week we'll get Shiel back. So that's a massive inclusion.

Winning without a forward line is always tough, but we did it. I’m sure there was a lot of ‘learning’ that occurred today so I’m grateful for that.
Concerning is the forward line isn't going to materialise in this next patch of games.

He had two WTF moments that cost goals. The fresh air shot and the stupid 50 on Walker.
His hands weren’t good either, couple of fumbles he should have handled

Concerning is the forward line isn't going to materialise in this next patch of games.

Is inst ? :p
Draper is not going to come in next week as second ruck and kick 8 goals ?

His hands weren’t good either, couple of fumbles he should have handled

I suppose in a way he is playing like a bloke who was in Ireland for 3 months and then in isolation for 4 weeks.

I think we're an ok team playing well enough to get the points atm. That's it. Saying we're a 'very, very bad side'was a bit over the top, in my opinion.
It was a weird way to say it but fair enough.

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Thank god it's over.

Statistical dominance in so many key areas... yet can only beat the winless bottom side by 3 points.

We are still where we have been for quite a few seasons now... a nothing middle of the road team that's just jogging on the spot.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
We are a very strange team. So bloody difficult to get a gauge on where we sit. The inability to get a stranglehold on the opposition, the ins and outs of our key players with injury (and suspension... and Covid), the insipid displays like last week, and the inconsistency of our older and younger players means we are a truly indecipherable Finnegan’s Wake of a team.

Back