Preview Rnd 8 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs Sunday 9th May 3:20PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps have a rethink of how disposal efficiency is measured

Doc (or any other player) takes a 100 kicks that travel 40 metres or more to a 50/50 contest or better (better meaning more to the advantage of a teammate). If the opposition mark the 50/50 ball, or the teammate drops the mark and we don't retain possession, Doc still gets credited with 100% efficiency

Gibbo (who isn't a long kick, but can still kick over 40 metres), takes the same kicks as Doc but they travel 39 metres or less. Whether it is to a 50/50 contest and the opposition mark it, to a teammate in the clear but drops the mark and doesn't retain possession, he receives a disposal efficiency of 0% (A kick under 40 metres must be retained by the intended target to be considered an efficient disposal). Bizarre

And what happened in the 2nd half when we restarted the game from behind? How can you say he padded his stats when the game was in the balance?

If he was padding his stats, what were other players doing

Equal 1st for i50 tackles
Equal 2nd clearances
3rd for pressure
Equal 3rd for contested possessions
Equal 4th tackles
Equal 5th I50
Equal 6th score involvements

C'mon mate - you are talking relative to team performances and a different argument is being made in absolute numbers.

Massive that Martin and English is out for them. People on here acting like SPS is dusty. He was average for a while
But not last week. If MC want to reward form and effort, dropping SPS is not a good message while Gibbons and Newnes were carried last Sunday. Thought SPS looked silky in the middle.

Can’t believe there are so many upset with SPS being dropped.

maybe they are finally serious about developing him properly.

for 4 years his willingness to body line the ball, attack the ball hard and show enough physicality to win a contested situation has been sub standard.

I’d back any other player in our team to win a ball in a contested situation over him...or any other team to be honest.

We’ve seen him go back with the flight a couple of times, so he’s shown he has courage, and from all reports grew up riding bulls! So no doubt he’s tough. hopefully he can work on winning the pill in the twos, and become a more well rounded and uncompromising midfielder.

As putting him in the back pocket because he struggled to win his own ball wasn’t the answer.

Hopefully this is a sign the minimum standards of getting a game at carlton are rising.

I believe the surprise comes from the fact that SPS had one of his better games last week when he was finally played in his preferred position - midfield. He certainly passed the eye test for me.

Then you’ve got players who generally haven’t passed the eye test for a month in Gibbons and Newnes.

I don’t think it’s the *worst* decision of all time, just surprising.

More than happy how I see the game, but thanks

I've no doubt you are ... Has to be a bit of seeing what you want to see going on though. I like Gibbo and have defended him myself, but he was shizen on the weekend and has been poor for several weeks now. Don't even mind that he's still in the 22 for now, but that's not to say that he's been playing well.

But not last week. If MC want to reward form and effort, dropping SPS is not a good message while Gibbons and Newnes were carried last Sunday. Thought SPS looked silky in the middle.
Yes he got a bit of the ball last week and looked better but defensively he was poor again and that's why he has been dropped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baffling to drop SPS and even Dow coming up against a dogs midfield that runs 8 deep.

SPS was awesome last week and this week he gets dropped .... guys like Newnes and gibbons are getting rewarded for chasing tail but give them the footy and they do nothing with it.

I've no doubt you are ... Has to be a bit of seeing what you want to see going on though. I like Gibbo and have defended him myself, but he was shizen on the weekend and has been poor for several weeks now. Don't even mind that he's still in the 22 for now, but that's not to say that he's been playing well.

Several weeks now?

I think he made a couple of mistakes on the weekend, 2 bad judgement calls, 1 poor execution

1. Not competing for a mark on the wing, hoping it would come over the back and the opposition took an easy mark
2. Kicking to H up the line when there was 2 opposition players manning H, with a 3rd in the area. Should have held it up and gone back or inside to a short target
3. Came back inside and fluffed the kick, straight to the opposition

Several weeks now?

I think he made a couple of mistakes on the weekend, 2 bad judgement calls, 1 poor execution

1. Not competing for a mark on the wing, hoping it would come over the back and the opposition took an easy mark
2. Kicking to H up the line when there was 2 opposition players manning H, with a 3rd in the area. Should have held it up and gone back or inside to a short target
3. Came back inside and fluffed the kick, straight to the opposition

You set an incredibly low bar if that's the case...

Wut? .. Playing the man's judgement .. There is a reason his DE was 47% .. A player with 47% DE doesn't have 1 poor execution.

Best you read my examples on DE

A couple of weeks ago he hit harry twice, H dropped it and the opposition took the ball away, Gibbo recieved ineffective stats for both. Keep basing a game only on stats or vision when you need both.

Strangely, most are complaining about Dow being dropped, he went at 33% DE, from 3 kicks 3 handballs (easier to hit someone by hands). Yet I am setting a low bar?

Best you read my examples on DE

A couple of weeks ago he hit harry twice, H dropped it and the opposition took the ball away, Gibbo recieved ineffective stats for both. Keep basing a game only on stats or vision when you need both.

Strangely, most are complaining about Dow being dropped, he went at 33% DE, from 3 kicks 3 handballs (easier to hit someone by hands). Yet I am setting a low bar?

That may well have been the case a couple of weeks ago... But if you go and watch Gibbo against the Bombers, it won't take long to see more than one instance of poor execution. He's been poor most of the year with his disposal - I've watched it closely bc I was always defending his disposal to my old man... then I threw in the towel, conceding defeat.

Completely agree you need both - I personally give significantly more weight to vision.

The low bar is prevalent among Carlton supporters - I'm sure it's a product of what we've been through for the last 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back