Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
carlton-vs-bulldogs-png.909146

Form line:

Dogs have only suffered the one loss, last week against the Tigers, while we have won 3 of our last 5 and weren't blown away in those 2 losses

H2H:

Recently, last 3 games, we have matched up well against the Dogs. A 3 point loss, but with a couple of convincing wins, 44 and 52 point wins

Styles In Summary

Dogs play a quick possession game, which is generally based with multiple handballs from the stoppage until they can clear it forward with long kicking or to the outside, hitting shorter targets. Blues under the Teague current gamplan is a 5th gear attacking style, that most times seems to lack the tempo layers and composure needed

How to stop/beat the Dogs:

WE CAN'T CONCEDED 60+ ENTRIES TO THIS SIDE!!

Mentioned prior to the Tigers game, that you have to deny the Dogs first possession at the stoppage/disputed ball and or releasing with multiple handballs. While they do this, they peel extremely well, ensuring the ball carrier has multiple options/targets in every direction. If coming out the front of stoppages, they kick long and or weigh their kicks very well to the advantage of strong tall targets forward such as Naughton, English and Bruce that has rediscovered better form compared to last year. If they peel sideways or out the back, they use multiple options by hand and short kicking, where they surge it quickly so the forwards still have space to hurt the opposition.

So, how to stop the Dogs, easier said than done. While we don't have the consistency of the frontal pressure of the Tigers (not many sides do), we will need to condense the ground and make it a contested game, while still being mindful of their outlet players. Winning first possession and or smothering their handball outlet is the key, force them to kick from congestion as their first option, where hopefully Teague adopts a +1 behind the ball and allows us to intercept and or have extra numbers to regain possession

How to beat the Dogs is more around how we use it, rather than relying on the opposition turning it over. We saw in the 2nd half against that Bombers that we played with more composure, switching, finding shorter targets, hand and foot, but still with enough momentum to allow us break the centreline, so forward of the ball wasn't congested. We just can't rush coming off our half back line, or being forced to kick to their half backline where the setup very well to protect an undersized backline. Move the ball with composed momentum, so when we are kicking to the likes of Harry, it is that hotspot 20 metres from goal or a hit up lead inside forward 50

Ins/Outs: TBC (Purely opinion at this stage)

Blues: Out - Gov, Dow (Both injured?). In - JSOS, Williams ( if fit)/Setters
Dogs: Out - Schache, JJ, Scott (Possibly injured). - In Wallis, Vandemeer, English

Match ups:

While the game will be won/lost between the arcs, we need to matchup well all over the ground

• Weitering - Bruce. Collectively, deny the leading lane
  • Jones - Naughton. Everyone needs to apply some body pressure before the contest and or Jones to play him from in front and or his left shoulder, NOT from behind
  • When English is forward, this will trouble us, even if there is pressure on the incoming kick. We will have to reshuffle and play an undersized Parks on Bruce
  • Ed - McCrae. - Need to deny their drive and accurate disposal
  • Bont - Setters. This is why I would prefer Setters, as I believe he matches up well all over the ground and is disciplined enough to stick to a dangerous player
  • Cripps - Libba. - Purely H2H
  • Newnes - Smith. - Has the speed/engine/experience and has been playing a defensive role in recent weeks
  • Cotts - Hunter. Deny him as an outlet and work him the other way
  • Cordy/Keath - Harry. This is the advantage we must capitalize on, but H should not get carried away with the size difference and needs to hit up to the ball carrier/fat side of the ground
  • Cordy/Keath - Levi. Change of tactic this week, play Levi deep in the square and or rolling there as often as possible, which will put Cordy under pressure on the last line
  • Wood - Jsos. - Hit up high so Wood can't be that 3rd player in the contest
  • Owies - Daniel. - Pressure all day, just deny the ball and or space to be that outlet

Prediction:

Within 20 points either way

Last edited by a moderator:
Out: McGovern (inj), Newnes, Gibbons, Casboult, Plowman

In: Silvagni, De Koning, Newman, Petrevski-Seton, Williams

It won't happen obviously. I'd say we will get SPS for McGovern and that's all.

No issues dropping any/all of Casboult, Gibbons and Newnes. McGov and Dow look likely to drop out injured.

Williams, JSOS, SPS to come in, and would think that LOB/Setters are close on today’s VFL performance. If TDK can manage to play forward and do 10% ruck work, effectively replaces Cas, I’d go for it.

Based on today’s performance, Cripps should be dropped but it is what it is.

Keen as * for this one, selection committees nightmare/ dream all in one. Murphy, Lob, JSos, Williams, setters, honey and TDK (possibly even Newman too!) all pushing for selection and only a very small number of spots (probably) open. Gov (inj) being the only sure out.

Tough decisions, we get a real good look at what the committee wants the team to look like this week.

See who’s ready to come in. JSOS if mended, then Williams plus Newman may be ready off his performance. Honey & LOB other contenders. Don’t see the need for Murphy’s return.

TDK another gallop in the 2’s but looking forward to his promotion soon.

OUT: Gibbons, Newnes and an injured McGovern (?). See how Dow fares with his eye injury.
Gibbons > Williams
Newnes > LOB (or Newman)
McGovern > JSOS or Honey

How do we win this one? Wins against *, Fremantle and Gold Coast are nice. But we need to announce ourselves has a decent team with a win in the next fortnight.

Only players I’d entertain being dropped are: McGovern, Levi and Gibbons (big fan but he was poor last week)

We look a lot better with JSOS in the side, so would love for him to get a run. Is Honey or LOB a chance?

we will find ‘where we are at’ in the next two weeks.

Geez TDK did well today, I know it's too early but I'd love to see him in.

Shame that we suddenly have a lot of promising small forwards, Crocker is looking great in the VFL ... gets a rightful knock for not seizing his opportunity in earlier years but it can't have been easy watching his old man dying of early onset dementia. Reckon someone should take a shot on him mid-season if not us.

Geez TDK did well today, I know it's too early but I'd love to see him in.

Shame that we suddenly have a lot of promising small forwards, Crocker is looking great in the VFL ... gets a rightful knock for not seizing his opportunity in earlier years but it can't have been easy watching his old man dying of early onset dementia. Reckon someone should take a shot on him mid-season if not us.

Can’t help but feel Crocker would be the perfect replacement for Gov. I hope it’s not similar to good old Nick Graham (too good for VFL but not good enough for AFL) but he’s a nice type.

We have shown in the past that the Dogs defence struggles against tall athletic forwards, If we can feed McKay he can have a huge day, he just needs to be supported By JSOS and hopefully TDK

Well, we lost nothing without the conditional, let’s be brave now and throw the deckchairs overboard as well ...

Out : Casboult Gibbons Newnes omitted
McGovern injured.

In : TDK SPS Williams Silvagni

Plowman Jones Parks
Saad Weitering Docherty
Williams Cripps Cottrell
Fogarty TDK Silvagni
Betts McKay Owies

Pittonet Cuningham Walsh

Curnow SPS Stocker Dow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Petrevski-Seton, DeKoning, Williams

Out: Dow (inj), McGovern (inj),Gibbons (omit)

Don't think they'll drop Casboult with McGovern getting hurt. He really doesn't deserve to retain his spot but it is what it is.

What happened to Dow? Is he definitely out for this game?

He copped a finger(?) in the eye. On the bench when being looked at by the medicos, it looked like he was possibly complaining about blurred vision. Later on, the eye looked noticeably dark and even shutting a bit.

Can’t help but feel Crocker would be the perfect replacement for Gov. I hope it’s not similar to good old Nick Graham (too good for VFL but not good enough for AFL) but he’s a nice type.
If only there was evidence of him at AFL level to go off...

he went back on which suggests he passed the concussion test so may have been his vision made it hard to see.. Will be touch and go. T H I would rather SPS but happy if he is fit to play.

Out: McGovern (inj), Newnes, Gibbons, Casboult, Plowman

In: Silvagni, De Koning, Newman, Petrevski-Seton, Williams

It won't happen obviously. I'd say we will get SPS for McGovern and that's all.
Plowman? Geez.

Gibbo was gone at half time but had a very solid second half after being moved up the ground. Much better around the contest.

Plowman? Geez.

Gibbo was gone at half time but had a very solid second half after being moved up the ground. Much better around the contest.

I just see Newman and Plowman fighting for the same spot and Parks in there gives us that 3rd tall anyway.

I'd certainly like to get Newman's attitude and foot skills into the side somehow. Competition for spots is going to be on in earnest soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back