Preview Rnd 8 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs Sunday 9th May 3:20PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Gibbons spot is safe until one of Fisher or Martin become available.

If the opposition doesn’t put time into him he’ll get 20 and kick 2, if they do (which I suspect is happening this season) he drags attention away from Fog, Cuners, Owies etc.

Still did some good things on Sunday even though he wasn’t at his best.

OUT: McGovern (inj), Newnes, Gibbons, Dow (inj) Cottrell
IN: JSOS, Williams, Murphy, SPS, O'Brien

FB:
Plowman Jones Stocker
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Walsh Cuningham Williams
HF:
Fogarty Casboult Owies
FF: JSOS McKay Betts

R: Pittonet Cripps E.Curnow

Int: Murphy, Parks, O'Brien, SPS

EMG:
TDK, Newman, Cottrell, Newnes

I don't think TDK is right to go just yet, and Casboult seems to be recovering from his knee issues enough to prevent him being rushed into the team. Either way, our issues lie further up the ground, particularly with running power, skill by foot and ability at centre bounce stoppage setups.

Walsh had a great game overall, but he was a hinderence at the centre bounce. Smart, hard working footballer, but gets repeatedly exposed by the speed/strength mix every team in the competition will tend to put in there (as we also should). It's better that he sits on the wing in these situations, as it allows his read and timing to come to the fore in creating that next option. Note that I'm not suggesting he shouldn't see looks when the opposition make-up suits him, nor that he should sit on the outer at general stoppages, this is about the centre bounce setups.

SPS should never have been dropped, and he showed why on Sunday. So long as O'Brien is able to put in 80% game time in a wing role, we should now be playing him at AFL level, and it's ludicrous that we're watching Newnes and Cottrell increasingly become even more ineffective as the consequences of the rule changes are figured out by the competition.

Betts vs Gibbons is a reasonable close call, but Betts has safer hands, particularly leading up to the ball.

Williams and JSOS are self explanatory, while I prefer the value Murphy brings given the other changes.

Could be a potentially exciting week in the VFL too with Carroll set to resume, and possibly Kemp as well.

I reckon Gibbons spot is safe until one of Fisher or Martin become available.

If the opposition doesn’t put time into him he’ll get 20 and kick 2, if they do (which I suspect is happening this season) he drags attention away from Fog, Cuners, Owies etc.

Still did some good things on Sunday even though he wasn’t at his best.
He and Murphy are interchangeable. Have no issue dropping Gibbons for Murphy so long as Murphy is held to the same standards as Gibbo

I love Ed and the way he goes about it but I think if he doesn’t have a tagging role then he actually hurts us defensively. I would put him on macrae this week I reckon. He’s gotten a lot better. Would love to see Cripps, Walsh and Cunners play majority midfield time with Ed tagging and SPS peeling out of the fwd line. All can get 25+ Possessions and I think it’s a fairly balanced group. It looked good against * when it was being used and you can change up the mix with Fog & Gibbo up fwd. The most important thing for us is to not let this doggies group get clean entry into their fwd 50. We do that. We win.

OP updated

I think not bad but I still think CAS is a better useless forward than Pitto is a useless forward. so DK will replace Pitto before CAS
Not even sure that's true in 2021. Cas looks seriously cooked. And Pitto isn't the worst set shot we've had in the ruck, not by a long shot.

Problem is, TDK isn't physically ready to take over the #1 ruck spot this week (I assume), so it's a moot point.

No doubt you have all seen the article in the Sun re: Trade Targets for next year. SPS & Cunners are included in the list.
Please please MC & Teague, give these guys more time in the Midfield. I reckon both these guys could really hit their straps and form part of agreat midfield brigade with Cripps, Walsh & Curnow. And Dow when he's back.
They are both suited for midfield for different reasons. They give us something different.
Hope JSOS & Williams ready for return.
Not sure if TDK & Newman are ready.
This match is going to be a beauty. A win would really top off a perfect 2 weeks.

This game shapes up as a midfield shoot-out.

Dogs win on the back of high possession to efficient inside 50's.

If we beat them at the source, and we are one of the few teams with the inside power to, then we can force them to switch things up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh and Cunners linked up so well together against the Bombers. Completely gelled and had confidence in each other.

I'll be interested to see if they look to target each other here. Could be such an elite partnership.
Looked delicious out of the centre as well. A couple of slick clearances for Cuners, and absolute domination by Walshy.

I won’t get into selection, as long always will be a random injury pop up.

But the key is going to be the defence and our transition into the forward line. We are going to lose in the middle, (clearances etc) so our key will be the ability to get the ball back, then successfully transition the ball through the middle and to the forwards (where with their inability to defend tall forwards) we will have an advantage.

Speed out of the backline and through the middle will be important so we can get cleaner entries with speed to prevent the Dogs ability to double team (Saad, Doc, SPS, Newnes, Fog etc)

If we can do that, then find a way to set up the centreline wall (Weitering, Jones, Parks) then we will go a good way to being able to win.

We’ve shown the last 3 matches against them that this game plan works and we match up well on them, so the players should know what needs to be done and confident they can do it.

I won’t get into selection, as long always will be a random injury pop up.

But the key is going to be the defence and our transition into the forward line. We are going to lose in the middle, (clearances etc) so our key will be the ability to get the ball back, then successfully transition the ball through the middle and to the forwards (where with their inability to defend tall forwards) we will have an advantage.

Speed out of the backline and through the middle will be important so we can get cleaner entries with speed to prevent the Dogs ability to double team (Saad, Doc, SPS, Newnes, Fog etc)

If we can do that, then find a way to set up the centreline wall (Weitering, Jones, Parks) then we will go a good way to being able to win.

We’ve shown the last 3 matches against them that this game plan works and we match up well on them, so the players should know what needs to be done and confident they can do it.

You mean the late Thursday nighter with an injury that wasn’t mentioned on Tuesday report.Happen every week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

so are we all resigned to you-know-who coming back in this week?

The only case you could even contemplate making for this is Gibbons, but it would still be weak.

I’m wrapped that Owies put in the performance he did, cause even our MC wouldn’t be able to drop him after 3 goals.

Walsh and Cunners linked up so well together against the Bombers. Completely gelled and had confidence in each other.

I'll be interested to see if they look to target each other here. Could be such an elite partnership.
On the smaller,slippery ground may be a bit more difficult.
Long stops required this week to keep their footing!

Given McGovern is out the only changes I can see are Jack (for McGovern) and SPS in...Assuming Dow's eye is good and no concussion issue he'd be in...he was doing well up till the poke....Williams, if fit and....Murphy the medical sub.....does that add up to 22:drunk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back