Preview Rnd 8 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs Sunday 9th May 3:20PM @ Marvel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
If he does come in it shouldn’t be for any of the guys you mentioned. They may bring him in for Gibbo though. Gibbo hasn’t been playing like he usually does. Been a bit down imo.

Don't disagree with Gibbons not being best 22 at the moment. But he did have 20 pressure acts, 5 tackles and 2 tackles inside 50. To me pressure is our biggest issue at the moment.

Murphy has averaged .2 inside 50 tackles (he may play slighly higher up the ground but both play HF/Mid) and 1.8 tackles. Gibbons averages .6 and 2.3 a game.

I would happily see Honey or Durdin come in for Gibbons, but I don't see why we rush Murphy back.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
JSOS for McGovern is obvious
TDK for Pitto - If he can play a full game as the #1
SPS stays in but not sure who goes out..

Setterfield has put together 2 good games in the 2s so banging down the door, but again not sure who comes out.

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
SEN this morning few callers calling in saying JUH no where near ready. Also apparently has a few too many tickets on himself at present... something about "do you know who I am" whilst lining up at a nightclub.

Zlatan

Premiership Player
Dec 10, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
TDK isn't ready. Needs another week or two to get some match fitness

I know the level of competition was low but from what I saw, TDK was gliding across the ground looking immense.

The commentators said he was only going to play some/3 quarters(?) of the game but he definitely stayed on longer than that.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
SEN this morning few callers calling in saying JUH no where near ready. Also apparently has a few too many tickets on himself at present... something about "do you know who I am" whilst lining up at a nightclub.

nuffies calling in and bagging a young footballer......nothing changes i see - probably upset he get the hot woman and all they got was a kebab

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I know the level of competition was low but from what I saw, TDK was gliding across the ground looking immense.

The commentators said he was only going to play some/3 quarters(?) of the game but he definitely stayed on longer than that.

Probably means it was a relatively easy game to play - i dont think he is in anyway a chance to play this week - next week maybe

Zlatan

Premiership Player
Dec 10, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Probably means it was a relatively easy game to play - i dont think he is in anyway a chance to play this week - next week maybe

Yeah it wasn’t lost on me that he was playing against part timers. Need to do the right thing by him and give him another week to build his match fitness.

Pentatonic Flat Fifth

All Australian
Apr 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it TDK for Pitto or TDK for Casboult??

IMO Pitto has been costing us too much, got completely dominated by a kid in his first game.. But then Casboult had been horrific. There is also the thought I am not sure TDK is fit enough to play a full game as a first ruck... but his forward craft isn’t good enough to play as a permanent forward....

Pitto. He is just a massive liability unfortunately - the guy is an absolute battler, really tries his guts out but not effective enough in todays game style around the ground and gets beaten for too often, his tap work is also inconsistent IMO.

TDK would most likely be held back another week - that was even mentioned in the coaches review. I think the team balance would be much better with TDK and Cas.

Pentatonic Flat Fifth

All Australian
Apr 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Especially for a bloke who has had stress related injuries in the past, not point rushing him, got to think long term.

He's already playing footy. If there was a concern about a recurrence of stress fractures then he shouldn't be playing reserves.

If he is fit enough to play 1sts I would play him. Reading between the lines on the reviews though he will be given another week with Newnes.

Setterfield or LOB in the mix.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Dow doesnt have any fractures so he stays in if im in charge. Showed great appetite for the ball last week and hopefully does it again
He only played 14% TOG, about 1/5 of his usual (~70%). Multiply his stats out by 5 to get the equivalent TOG and he'd have 30 disposals, 25 contested, 10 tackles, 20 pressure acts, 5 score involvements, 10 inside 50s, 5 rebound 50s, 15 clearances, 630 metres gained.

He had a pretty productive 11 minutes of game time on the clock. Of course we have no idea if he would have continued at that rate/productivity, but I think it was a good start to the game for him.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Pitto. He is just a massive liability unfortunately - the guy is an absolute battler, really tries his guts out but not effective enough in todays game style around the ground and gets beaten for too often, his tap work is also inconsistent IMO.

TDK would most likely be held back another week - that was even mentioned in the coaches review. I think the team balance would be much better with TDK and Cas.

TDK for Casboult and give casboult a month off (or however long until he is match fit) - then TDK and casboult. Will also give TDK a few games as the 2nd ruck before he takes over as no.1 ruck.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
He's already playing footy. If there was a concern about a recurrence of stress fractures then he shouldn't be playing reserves.

If he is fit enough to play 1sts I would play him. Reading between the lines on the reviews though he will be given another week with Newnes.

Setterfield or LOB in the mix.

Big difference between VFL and AFL and the effort/fitness required to get through a game, hence at least 1 more week in the magoos.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
He only played 14% TOG, about 1/5 of his usual (~70%). Multiply his stats out by 5 to get the equivalent TOG and he'd have 30 disposals, 25 contested, 10 tackles, 20 pressure acts, 5 score involvements, 10 inside 50s, 5 rebound 50s, 15 clearances, 630 metres gained.

He had a pretty productive 11 minutes of game time on the clock. Of course we have no idea if he would have continued at that rate/productivity, but I think it was a good start to the game for him.

Yep, i doubt he would rack up those numbers but the time he was out there was enough for me to give him another go and the same role. If that means williams plays elsewhere then so be it

haveago

lovethegame02
Apr 29, 2015
north west Melb.
AFL Club
Carlton
Pitto having no influence. TDK has to come in.

Levi laboring but his heart will keep him going
as back up ruck and forward.

Williams for Stocker (feel for him but tough decisions need to be made )

JSOS for Gov no brainer.

Dow has to stay. (eye will be OK no concussion )

SPS has to start.( He badly needed that kick up the arse)

Gibbo for Setters ( he has earnt it and a run in 2s will help Gibbo)

Newnes for LOB ( his kicking in 2s cutting teams up, polish and class and showing some grit)

All this equates to 4 points and 4 and 4. You know it all adds up! :laughv1::heart::thumbsu:

Newman back next week or two also Martin ..... looking good we are.

Pity about Gov 8 to 10 but we got him covered.... Charlie be back in a month or so!!!!

Last edited:

blue89

Draftee
Jul 14, 2017
Ok, lets spitball this. Imagine Pitto is injured and unavailable this week. Who plays ruck?

I say Cas has to play first ruck and TDK has to be 'break glass' Forward ruck because coming back from a back fracture it would be unwise, I feel, for him to shoulder the load just yet. Maybe McKay could do a few minutes (heart in mouth)

If that is the case, are we better or worse off?
Cas can hardly move and TDK is not yet ready to return - maybe a week or two away.

Someone pointed me that the theory is that we don't need an A grade ruck, as many top teams don't have them. I disagree. An A grade ruck gives our midfield an advantage. Imagine a Gawn or Grundy type giving Walsh, Crippa etc, an armchair ride out of the stoppages? TDK may be the answer, but the proof is not there yet.

We desperately need some back up coverage in the ruck department.

Left field option....Bruce is a spud forward (dont know how he managed to kick a bag of 10) so we could potentially survive it Weiters covering their talls. When Jones was playing VFL as a defender for the first time, he was also thrown into the ruck and all reports were that he was dominating. I'd be open to throwing him there in you above scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back