Preview Rnd 8 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs Sunday 9th May 3:20PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Newnes is becoming the new whipping boy here. Perhaps its because he's not hitting the scoreboard as frequently as he was last year and he's not necessarily the most damaging winger in the comp but I thought he had a pretty good game on the weekend. He runs bloody hard to cover defensively, laid a few crucial tackles and was underneath a fair few contests. Certainly holds his spot for mine.

I feel like Newnes is becoming the new whipping boy here. Perhaps its because he's not hitting the scoreboard as frequently as he was last year and he's not necessarily the most damaging winger in the comp but I thought he had a pretty good game on the weekend. He runs bloody hard to cover defensively, laid a few crucial tackles and was underneath a fair few contests. Certainly holds his spot for mine.
After a couple of good games early in the season he has been just OK. Issue is he is a bit of a list clogger preventing players like LOB from getting an opportunity.

Pitto having no influence. TDK has to come in.

Levi laboring but his heart will keep him going
as back up ruck and forward.

Williams for Stocker (feel for him but tough decisions need to be made )

JSOS for Gov no brainer.

Dow has to stay. (eye will be OK no concussion )

SPS has to start.( He badly needed that kick up the arse)

Gibbo for Setters ( he has earnt it and a run in 2s will help Gibbo)

Newnes for LOB ( his kicking in 2s cutting teams up, polish and class and showing some grit)

Murph med. sub if right. Kennedy if not.

All this equates to 4 points and 4 and 4. You know it all adds up! :laughv1::heart::thumbsu:

Newman back next week or two also Martin ..... looking good we are.

Pity about Gov 8 to 10 but we got him covered.... Charlie be back in a month or so!!!!
If you want Dow and Sps to stay and murph to be the med sub you'd need to drop 1 more player...

After a couple of good games early in the season he has been just OK. Issue is he is a bit of a list clogger preventing players like LOB from getting an opportunity.

Newnes sets the physical standard LOB has to meet/surpass to get back in the side - he's the good kind of stop-gap

That's exactly my problem with him - he is serviceable when there are players who I think have far more upside and would be better options.

The disposals etc he does have also fairly average.

Newnes sets the physical standard LOB has to meet/surpass to get back in the side - he's the good kind of stop-gap

Feel like LOB's last three outings have been exceptional in the physical side - for mine it is a bit of an urban myth or preconception from his appearance and first year or two as a really slight kid. He puts himself on the line a lot (runs backwards into marks etc) tackles hard and runs through players.

For mine he is actually far more physical than Newnes who has a heap of size and really doesn't use it much.

First game of the year I’ll be attending, sitting with all the toffs after dining with them, thanks rich friend!👍

Sorry, no one's preventing LOB or anyone else from getting a game. He'll get plenty of opportunities when he shows the consistent form the M/C want to see from him.

We're all very happy that we have our own stand alone ressies side, let's let it do what we want it to do, developing players so that they immediately can impact at the top level.

Feel like LOB's last three outings have been exceptional in the physical side - for mine it is a bit of an urban myth or preconception from his appearance and first year or two as a really slight kid. He puts himself on the line a lot (runs backwards into marks etc) tackles hard and runs through players.

For mine he is actually far more physical than Newnes who has a heap of size and really doesn't use it much.

I agree that he's making good progress - compare the mark he took in the VFL last week with the one he dropped in the last quarter against Richmond. A huge reason we've been a historically soft side is that players haven't had to earn their spots like LOB, Stocker etc are being made to this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ticketmaster and or Marvel Stadium are Scum. I have an home and away game membership and the pigs still want me to fork out out 40 dollars for a game I already paid for on level 3.

I have usually been a standing room/grog squad feral, and see no reason why we cannot revert back to that, now COVID is eextinct as a dodo in Victoria.

So annoyed about this, I am boycotting this game (on principal)) and just got my tickets for the Melbourne City A League game on Sunday vs Brisbane Roar which kicks off at 4 pm. Jamie McLaren, so hot right now.

Using Tickettek as a Mel City member is so much easier than the shemozzle of Ticketmaster and those greedy bastards

Screw you Marvel Stadium, absolute puss of a stadium..

Cannot wait for the AFL to sell you off and bulldoze you and a new stadium built elsewhere.

The old girl VFL Park/Waverley was such a better and more enjoyable venue to watch footy.

Ticketmaster are a joke and greedy galahs a of a sales outlet..hope they get liquidated

For me....

JSOS (forward) for Gov
Williams (wing) for Dow
SPS (back/mid) and Newnes as the medical sub.

Stocker did nothing wrong to warrant being omitted, played one on one in the D50 against Stringer for 50% of the match and rolled off players well. Keep playing him, moving very well on the field. Owies did enough to stay in, Murph's form before coming out of the team hasn't warranted him automatically coming back in. What's the rush? Will be good to give some of these younger boys a crack at quality opposition.

Some consistency in the reserves will also be good for us in the long run, can't be chopping and changing week after week. Gives guys like Kennedy/Setterfield/Newman/O'Brien/Williamson time to establish their consistency and then when they step up to the seniors, they can slot in and play their role.

Pitto having no influence. TDK has to come in.

Levi laboring but his heart will keep him going
as back up ruck and forward.

Williams for Stocker (feel for him but tough decisions need to be made )

JSOS for Gov no brainer.

Dow has to stay. (eye will be OK no concussion )

SPS has to start.( He badly needed that kick up the arse)

Gibbo for Setters ( he has earnt it and a run in 2s will help Gibbo)

Newnes for LOB ( his kicking in 2s cutting teams up, polish and class and showing some grit)

Murph med. sub if right. Kennedy if not.

All this equates to 4 points and 4 and 4. You know it all adds up! :laughv1::heart::thumbsu:

Newman back next week or two also Martin ..... looking good we are.

Pity about Gov 8 to 10 but we got him covered.... Charlie be back in a month or so!!!!

OUT: Pitto, Stocker, Gov, Gibbons, Newnes, ????
IN: TDK, Williams, JSOS, Setters, LOB, SPS

Gotta drop one more based on your ins.

Can't see 6 changes (only one forced) after a win against Essendon. I reckon Setters and LOB are made to wait, get them real hungry and start to build the expectation that a couple of good weeks in the reserves isn't an automatic ticket into the seniors. I also reckon we take the conservative line with TDK, though if there's an ideal matchup for him in the ruck it would be the lightly built English.

Really hope we don't drop Stocker, is showing some real defensive intent and his skills are up to scratch. Output hasn't been huge, but I'd give him one or two more weeks to see if he can start building that up.

JSOS for Gov the easy one.
Williams for Newnes doesn't feel spectacular but is probably the right move.
SPS for Gibbons an option, but would seriously consider giving SPS the Setterfield treatment - back to the ressies to get him hungry.

TDK for Pitto - If he can play a full game as the #1

TDK has never been able to play a full AFL game as the #1 ruck even when fit last year.

He relied on large chop outs from Casboult but since he's struggling with injury I can't see us going down that path as we'd want Casboult to ruck as little as possible for now.

Reserves player write ups are enlightening.

Love the specific references to tackle technique for both LOB and Newman, makes me oh so happy to hear that we've got somebody trying to teach it properly.

Kennedy rushing off partway through the game cause he may have been required in the seniors? I'm assuming that was linked to Harry being under the weather.

Good signs for De Koning, hard to get a read on whether they think he's ready for the seniors.

Durdin obviously a work in progress, doubt we see him this year with Fisher and Martin still to return.

Sounds like Willo is struggling a bit, probably a combination of form and then overcompensating for his form by being too aggressive. Another who may well see out the year in the reserves.

Ramsay and Honey getting more praise, confident these two guys will get a chance at some point this year but I reckon it'll just be a taste before they head back to the reserves to keep building.

And finally Setters - based on his notes I don't think he's in the frame this week, sounds like they're still working on his focus and positioning at stoppages. Gonna take that as a huge positive compared to the possibility of him getting stuck on a wing for no good reason.

I think the Coaches appraisal of last weeks game for LOB nailed it. To summarise, LOB tackles with his arms and not his body, lacks drive in tackles. This has been an issue for him since the start. This is the reason that "in the contest" he struggled to halve them and compete.

Even this pre season they had an Instagram video of his team mate running straight through his arms.

While not everyone needs to tackle like Cripps...we can see that Parks, Fog, Stocker are showing that there are some basic standards that are required in the contest. Is it mindset or technique or a bit of both? Either way he has to find it as I find the difference between them in the contest glaring. I believe it is one of the reasons Newnes, Cottrell (while both are not perfect) are getting picked in his position.

Reserves player write ups are enlightening.

Love the specific references to tackle technique for both LOB and Newman, makes me oh so happy to hear that we've got somebody trying to teach it properly.

Kennedy rushing off partway through the game cause he may have been required in the seniors? I'm assuming that was linked to Harry being under the weather.

Good signs for De Koning, hard to get a read on whether they think he's ready for the seniors.

Durdin obviously a work in progress, doubt we see him this year with Fisher and Martin still to return.

Sounds like Willo is struggling a bit, probably a combination of form and then overcompensating for his form by being too aggressive. Another who may well see out the year in the reserves.

Ramsay and Honey getting more praise, confident these two guys will get a chance at some point this year but I reckon it'll just be a taste before they head back to the reserves to keep building.

And finally Setters - based on his notes I don't think he's in the frame this week, sounds like they're still working on his focus and positioning at stoppages. Gonna take that as a huge positive compared to the possibility of him getting stuck on a wing for no good reason.
on that first line... in Honey's video review, O'Keefe seemed genuinely excited about the way he tackles and that he tackles to hurt. Hopefully that's the expectation for all our players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back