Preview Rnd 9 - Carlton v GWS 4.40PM Sunday 19th May @ GIA - Final Team Post #547

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like that suggestion. Don't know why I didn't think of it.

Maybe he could play a stopgap role for one week on the half back flank. Will give us the flexibility to keep JSOS and Cuningham forward of centre.

It's such a shame that all our injuries are to our defensive group.
No way lob plays in defence. His opponent would just take him to the goal square.

IMO they will get Newman up.

Then I would decide between Schumacher to come in for Plow or bring Kennedy in and move JSOS to defense (which is suboptimal given he was our best forward on the weekend).

Based on injury report:

Out: Williamson, Plowman
In: Newman, ?????
Gee I wonder when Plow might have received that broken cheekbone, what a sham Reid absolutely poleaxes him and allows them to kick the sealer and not even a free kick when Plow ends up with a broken cheek bone. Come on

Cas was very good last week but don't think he is the right match up for Cameron. Wouldn't be against putting Mitch back there. In the limited viewing that I have had of Mitch going back this year he seems to have stabilised the backline when it was getting overrun a bit.

Just not sure if he has the fitness for a full game on Cameron.

Want Kennedy to get a run for another bigger body in the middle. De Boer has surprised me a bit as a tagger and another bigger body to win the ball in the middle of just apply some body to get Cripps free wouldn't go astray.

Out: Plow, Willo
In: Newman, Kennedy

B: Thomas, MM, Marchbank
HB: Newman, Weiters, Stocker
C: Walsh, Cripps, SPS
HF: Murphy, Cas, CC
F: Cuningham, H, Gibbons
R: Kruez , Kennedy, Dow

I: Fisher, Setters, JSOS, Ed

Just watching On the Couch , mentioned Patty Cripps has played the most midfield minutes of any other player this year (about a quarter more 20 minutes or so) from next player Neale.

Then it falls off a bit..sometimes I worry about his longevity hope they’re not asking too much of him because he seems like the she’ll be right mate type.
Don’t want him with a banged up body at 28.

Not sure which way they go this week but might be time to give him a chop out with Kennedy
Doubt anyone could bang up Crippa he is the epitome of Iron Man.

Speaking of Crippa. Lots of man love here.
A Pies colleague of mine was at the game and singing the praises of Crippa.
He could not believe his size and strength. Players like Reid & Pendlebury, trying to tackle him, just bounced of like kids. And the handballs were coming out like precision rockets.
Gees I love No 9. My favourite number BTW.
Still want Kennedy in do some of the tough blocking and power tackles.
He is also a strong mark. Go Blues, lets shrink these Giants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT: Wilo & Plow
IN: Newman & Kennedy
Surely Kennedy gets his chance.

Not so sure...VFL had a bye and the MC have clearly tried to stick to a system/structure with their INS/OUTS recently.
Kennedy is not a like-for-like replacement.

If we bring in Kennedy who actually plays down back to cover Plow? MAYBE JSOS just for this one week.

However, we don't have much else available, only actual defender options are Garlett, Schumacher or Goddard.

Cas was very good last week but don't think he is the right match up for Cameron. Wouldn't be against putting Mitch back there. In the limited viewing that I have had of Mitch going back this year he seems to have stabilised the backline when it was getting overrun a bit.

Just not sure if he has the fitness for a full game on Cameron.

Want Kennedy to get a run for another bigger body in the middle. De Boer has surprised me a bit as a tagger and another bigger body to win the ball in the middle of just apply some body to get Cripps free wouldn't go astray.

Out: Plow, Willo
In: Newman, Kennedy

B: Thomas, MM, Marchbank
HB: Newman, Weiters, Stocker
C: Walsh, Cripps, SPS
HF: Murphy, Cas, CC
F: Cuningham, H, Gibbons
R: Kruez , Kennedy, Dow

I: Fisher, Setters, JSOS, Ed

Weitering or Marchbank would have to take Cameron i think...their best forward and too agile for Cas.

I don't think McGov is much of a defender tbh...playing as a loose defender is not the same as playing as a KPD taking Cameron.
Besides he's been good up forward kicking goals.

I doubt the club will bring in Kennedy for that reason...the MC seem to be backing in the kids and Setters/Gibbons in his spot. We talk about having bigger bodies in there but our midfield is actually consistently winning clearances. To me it's more about fitness to run out games than size.

IMO they will get Newman up.

Then I would decide between Schumacher to come in for Plow or bring Kennedy in and move JSOS to defense (which is suboptimal given he was our best forward on the weekend).

Given we have a backline injury crisis i'm fine with moving JSOS to defence for one week...we get Jones, Plow and Simmo back next week.
He'd be the closest like-for-like we could put in defence for Plow.

It would be a strength if while he's a forward, in time of need he can be used in defence.

McKay, Charlie and McGov up forward is plenty of height and ability.
Kennedy could then take JSOS' role of forward/mid - though provide more mid minutes than Jack and give our young mids another big bodied rotation in there to help against fade outs.

Weitering or Marchbank would have to take Cameron i think...their best forward and too agile for Cas.

I don't think McGov is much of a defender tbh...playing as a loose defender is not the same as playing as a KPD taking Cameron.

I doubt the club will bring in Kennedy for that reason...the MC seem to be backing in the kids and Setters/Gibbons in his spot. We talk about having bigger bodies in there but our midfield is actually consistently winning clearances. To me it's more about fitness to run out games than size.

I'd go with Marchbank on Cameron, better match up at ground level which is where he'll be dangerous. Might have to go with Casboult on Himmelberg since both are strong aerially, leaving Weitering on Finlayson, which is fine.

Surely for their development we have to have one of Weitering or Marchbank play on Cameron - nominally the best forward in the game at the moment.

Given we have a backline injury crisis i'm fine with moving JSOS to defence for one week...we get Jones, Plow and Simmo back next week.
He'd be the closest like-for-like we could put in defence for Plow.

It would be a strength if while he's a forward, in time of need he can be used in defence.

McKay, Charlie and McGov up forward is plenty of height and ability.
Kennedy could then take JSOS' role of forward/mid - though provide more mid minutes than Jack and give our young mids another big bodied rotation in there to help against fade outs.

Not a bad idea at all.
Leave the resident tall forwards where they and drop JSilvagni here.
It's not as though the effort won't be there. I like it.

Surely for their development we have to have one of Weitering or Marchbank play on Cameron - nominally the best forward in the game at the moment.

Yep and not just for development, but to help us win this game.

Cameron is the best key forward in the league right now based on goals, you put your best available defenders on him - not guys who are only used in defence rarely like Casboult or McGovern.

I'd go with Marchbank on Cameron, better match up at ground level which is where he'll be dangerous. Might have to go with Casboult on Himmelberg since both are strong aerially, leaving Weitering on Finlayson, which is fine.

Yep agree.

Though if they put Weiters on Cameron and Marchbank on Finlayson i think that has merit too.

Weiters arguably is more of a KPD than Marchbank is and typically gets bigger stopping roles than Marchbank.
Looking historically Jones and Weiters usually take the best 2 key forwards for the opposition...so wouldn't be surprised if they see Weiters as our best available KPD, to take their best KPF.

Yep agree.

Though if they put Weiters on Cameron and Marchbank on Finlayson i think that has merit too.

Weiters arguably is more of a KPD than Marchbank is and typically gets bigger stopping roles than Marchbank.
Looking historically Jones and Weiters usually take the best 2 key forwards for the opposition...so wouldn't be surprised if they see Weiters as our best available KPD, to take their best KPF.

Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if Weitering went to Cameron. Jacob can certainly do the job, providing he gets some support from the other defenders and we have some midfield pressure slowing their entries.

Don't want to see him isolated against Cameron with the ball at ground level.

Yep agree.

Without knowing the stats I would think there has been very few goal scored on Weitering this year and without Jones he is clearly our best defender, I would give him first crack at Cameron.

Without knowing the stats I would think there has been very few goal scored on Weitering this year and without Jones he is clearly our best defender, I would give him first crack at Cameron.
I would go with Marchbank. He is an inch shorter but I think he plays tall and will be able to keep up with him whilst matching him at ground level.
Cas goes to Himmelberg as he’s similar to Reid who he dominated last weekend.
Then Weiters to Finlayson who can peel off him at the right time to help Marche with Cameron.
I would love to see Stocker put on Greene for a bit as it would be great experience and I think he would thrive with the challenge.

I would go with Marchbank. He is an inch shorter but I think he plays tall and will be able to keep up with him whilst matching him at ground level.
Cas goes to Himmelberg as he’s similar to Reid who he dominated last weekend.
Then Weiters to Finlayson who can peel off him at the right time to help Marche with Cameron.
I would love to see Stocker put on Greene for a bit as it would be great experience and I think he would thrive with the challenge.

The issue I have with going with Marchbank is that we want him zoning off and coming in as the third man (he had 11 intercepts last week and only 1 of his 9 marks was contested) and playing on Cameron doesn't allow that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back