Preview Rnd 9 - Carlton v Hawthorn Friday 31st July 5.40PM (AEST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

Some interesting stats in the article:

Hawthorn pair James Sicily and James Frawley lead the Reverse-Reverse Coleman having conceded 16 goals each so far this season. Again, the Hawks have struggled, had a difficult fixture and Frawley in particular is usually tasked with taking the opposition’s primary key forward.

Some numbers stand out more when you throw in the contested one-on-one rankings. For instance, Carlton’s Jacob Weitering has conceded seven goals, but ranks first for contested one-on-ones with 40.

The players directly below him for contested one-on-ones have all conceded more goals: Rampe (13), Jones (14), Harris Andrews (10), Sam Collins (10), Lachie Plowman (9) and Tom Jonas (9).

Harry to kick a bag? Yes please.

Feb 5, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
cranky crikeys
Anything could happen here. I rewatched some of the NORF game and there's still some elements across all lines that need addressing. Must be kept in context though as the game was extremely scrappy particularly towards the end. Guys like setters and cunno were so important in clutch moments. In dry conditions (looking that way) they'll be invaluable.

My biggest worry is Clarko as a coach. He's a bit down at the moment but by no means out. I'm really interested to see how he deals with the Cripps situation. I think Crippas feathers can be ruffled to a degree and the fact that it's been in media will make it a hot spot to watch. I'm hoping the umps are all over this and it may be the game the where the umps are kind to us as a result.

SPS is due for some form I feel. Been a bit quiet. As with most players I reckon he's carrying something injury wise and it's perhaps hampering him slightly. Maybe just confidence. He's a game breaker and really due for big game.

Probably the biggest issue will be sore bodies following the NORF game. Last quarter was messy and players cracking in. Hoping a free flowing dry deck might be the tonic.

Oh and Jack Martin. He's radar was on the blink something chronic last week. I'm hoping he can get some clean ball and get back to slotting em.

go baggers.

Gobaggers2

Lets get excited for 2021!
Jan 10, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Bit of rain in Perth this morning but seems to have cleared. Should be a great afternoon for footy over here in the wild west.

Blues by 17 points, Jack Martin BOG and crippa playing a bit more forward and kicks 3.
Chance if light shower this arvo. Patchy but hope it misses Optus Stadium. And here's me with tickets on the boundary line out in the open

On CPH1903 using BigFooty.com mobile app

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Find it intensely distasteful and disrespectful to say Murphy was embarrassing. Boekhorst was embarrassing. Murphy is a club legend with his own set of limitations, like it or not. Him being bruise free is a bull sh*t claim that is utterly embarrassing by so called club supporters. He throws himself in there, hard. Just because he bounces back out doesn't make him bruise free. It just means he's small and not as physically imposing/ capable as the contested players and the trend of taller stronger wingers he goes up against, fearlessly. Blows my mind how people jump on him getting out bodied once or twice a game and ignore the structural importance and link gut running he provides.
Great post and spot on, ridiculous calls on his game last week and for the last 18 months.

another MUST WIN game if we are going to keep contending.....

Come on Blue boys....bring last weeks first quarter efforts for the whole game tonight and all will be good...

Dochers, Crippa Martin all in our best I am tipping. Victory tonight and a BLOCKBUSTER V Weagles coming up!!!!

BRING IT ON!!!!GO BLUES!!!
Must win is not a helpful description of any of our games for mine.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
They've been using Big Boi as an intercepting defender when Ceglar has played.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is a great point and something I thought as well and it leads me to think that if Big boy is playing in defence I suspect we will be seeing Sicily playing forward, this is exactly the sort of thing that Clarko does to try and wrong foot a side however considering there other forward options I would think Jones would just go straight to him and shut him out from the get go thereby negating Clarkos move, only concern is it then leaves O’Brien and Gunston now Weiters gets one probably O’Brien but who takes Gunston my gut says Plow would then have to with Doc then on Breust, Willo on Wingard and Simmo and Samo the rest. Or Willo to niggle the crap out of Sicily till he snaps, oh yeah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily is someone we certainly need to put a lot of work into, he's their key down in the back half with his ability to not just intercept, but win one on one contests and set up forward thrusts.

There's a bit of talk in here about Moore being the one to go to him, but I'm not convinced that's a good match up for us at all.

I flagged it earlier in this thread, and I still think Martin is the guy for us here. Given his ability to play in a number of positions, he can eliminate Sicily's intercept game by dragging him deep forward or up the ground.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Sicily is someone we certainly need to put a lot of work into, he's their key down in the back half with his ability to not just intercept, but win one on one contests and set up forward thrusts.

There's a bit of talk in here about Moore being the one to go to him, but I'm not convinced that's a good match up for us at all.

I flagged it earlier in this thread, and I still think Martin is the guy for us here. Given his ability to play in a number of positions, he can eliminate Sicily's intercept game by dragging him deep forward or up the ground.

Doesnt matter who you play on him, he will sag off and compete elsewhere.. just play through his man

Jack needs to play on instinct and not worry about where Sicily is.

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m hoping Jack Martin has a big game
Me too but I actually think our strength has been an evenness across the board
Gone are the days of needing Judd or Fev to star to win
I want an even above average contribution from the whole team to the point the game plan doesn’t breakdown
And we have more seamless transition with fewer weak links

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
This is a great point and something I thought as well and it leads me to think that if Big boy is playing in defence I suspect we will be seeing Sicily playing forward, this is exactly the sort of thing that Clarko does to try and wrong foot a side however considering there other forward options I would think Jones would just go straight to him and shut him out from the get go thereby negating Clarkos move, only concern is it then leaves O’Brien and Gunston now Weiters gets one probably O’Brien but who takes Gunston my gut says Plow would then have to with Doc then on Breust, Willo on Wingard and Simmo and Samo the rest. Or Willo to niggle the crap out of Sicily till he snaps, oh yeah.
I reckon Sicily forward is a great option for us... he's not nearly as good a forward but he's a gun defender.

If Siciliy goes forward that leaves McEvoy, Frawley, Frost, Stratton, Hardwick, Scrimshaw and Impey... that's not a hugely 'exciting' group of defenders. Poor Impey & Scrimshaw will be responsible for all the ball movement coming out of defence.

If Sicily plays back (McEvoy and Ceglar rotating between ruck, forward and bench) then you've got to make sure Sicily has to be accountable, either forcing him to defend or going through the player who's left open as his defender has had to cover Sicily's man...

I reckon today is a game to get Cuningham right around the action. I want him running those exciting linking plays when we rebound/turnover, get the ball coming in low and fast, try and catch their dour defenders out. Also pressure the hell out of them... there's a few very suspect ball users in their back 6 that we might be able to capitalise on.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Me too but I actually think our strength has been an evenness across the board
Gone are the days of needing Judd or Fev to star to win
I want an even above average contribution from the whole team to the point the game plan doesn’t breakdown
And we have more seamless transition with fewer weak links
I'd love to witness a 2019 Cripps vs Lions performance from the big fella to start my weekend... just a cheeky little 38+4.0

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair call Frumpy. I don't care if it pours down. There will be NO Weagles or Dorker supporters at the game. Nothing else matters but the win.

On CPH1903 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cant wait to hear the blues supporters, we have a shitload of them in perth

would presume players be jumping out of their skin to play in front of a decent crowd again, be interesting to see how many turn up

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
So why is he still getting a game if his defensive efforts are so terrible? Are you seeing something different that the match committee, coaches who know him intimately and club execs who offer him contracts year after year see?

It's fair to say my faith is invested in those who's job it is to put a team out on the park every week. Not yours.

All good though.. we are all entitled to our opinions.👍
Not to mention the fact he is in the top 5 most weeks for distance covered and usually up there for speed in defensive running, defence isn’t only measured in tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back