AFL Autopsy Rnd 9: Mauled By the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

We must be the only team in the AFL that routinely refuses to look after the contested ball in any meaningful way. Players like Ham, Zaharakis, Cahill and even Snelling (who can hardly use the ball in close) are preferred options for a game against the Lions who are essentially an outnumber, beat you at the coal face side while Begley and Clarke, rot away in reserve, and Hibberd is dropped after finally playing 2 (of his 16) quarters in the inside role he was recruited to play.

We delude ourselves into thinking we're more competitive in the contest than we are probably because some bozo on the coaching staff looks at the stat sheet which shows that the numbers are basically even. That's what the stat sheets show, almost meaningless differentials in most stats and massive possession counts that are spread among players by default.

Then there is the extent to which we tolerate junk disposal which never ceases to amaze me but, in the same thought process, I also realise that it's a necessary part of deluding yourslef in to thinking that you can play a midfield of Parish, Smith, Snelling, Shiel, McGrath and Merrett.

Rushed, weak, imprecise garbage from players who are supposed to be good. They can't absorb pressure, can't slow the game down to use the ball cleanly and spray the ball all over the place as a result.

To think Heppell will come back to the side, as though that is going to help things...

As a brief aside, how many players playing in the first or second midfield rotation, not tagging, regularly get less than 20 possession a game? It a fallacy to argue "I'd rather player X gets 25 possessions than not" as every bloody player in this situation gets the ball. The number of possessions is the role, it's a function of playing in the middle. It's about as meaningful as "he doesn't get out marked" or "he brings the ball to ground".

Just once, I would like us to err on the side of "* it, we're going to be unbalanced so lets run with some grunt in the middle" and play little twerps on the outside where they belong.

This is the legacy of Worsfold chasing results in 2018 and 2019 when the writing was very clearly on the wall. Another era built on a side no one with half brain would actually put together. But Essendon doesn't do critical evaluation, unless the club president is feeding the club to the wolves at its hour of greatest need (to protect his reputation and to pander to the wishes of the vipers at AFL house).

At least the 2011 to 2015 stodge was honest, hard working inside footy that provided the foundation for a side. We are now the fools who are building a house on sand.

Last edited:
We must be the only team in the AFL that routinely refuses to look after the contested ball in any meaningful way. Players like Ham, Zaharakis, Cahill and even Snelling (who can hardly use the ball in close) are preferred options for a game against the Lions who are essentially an outnumber, beat you at the coal face side while Begley and Clarke, rot away in reserve, and Hibberd is dropped after finally playing 2 (of his 16) quarters in the inside role he was recruited to play.

We delude ourselves into thinking we're more competitive in the contest than we are probably because some bozo on the coaching staff looks at the stat sheet which shows that the numbers are basically even. That's what the stat sheets show, almost meaningless differentials in most stats and massive possession counts that are spread among players by default.

Then there is the extent to which we tolerate junk disposal which never ceases to amaze me but, in the same thought process, I also realise that it's a necessary part of deluding yourslef in to thinking that you can play a midfield of Parish, Smith, Snelling, Shiel, McGrath and Merrett.

Rushed, weak, imprecise garbage from players who are supposed to be good. They can't absorb pressure, can't slow the game down to use the ball cleanly and spray the ball all over the place as a result.

To think Heppell will come back to the side, as though that is going to help things...

As a brief aside, how many players playing in the first or second midfield rotation, not tagging, regularly get less than 20 possession a game? It a fallacy to argue "I'd rather player X gets 25 possessions than not" every bloody player in this situation gets the ball. The number of possessions is the role, it's a function of playing in the middle. It's about as meaningful as "he doesn't get out marked" or ""he brings the ball to ground".

Just once, I would like us to err on the side of "fu** it, we're going to be unbalanced so lets run with some grunt in the middle" and play little twerps on the outside where they belong.

This is the legacy of Worsfold chasing results in 2018 and 2019 when the writing was very clearly on the wall. Another era built on a side no one with half brain would actually put together. But Essendon doesn't do critical evaluation, unless the club president is feeding the club to the wolves at its hour of greatest need (to protect his reputation and to pander to the wishes of the vipers at AFL house).

At least the 2011 to 2015 stodge was honest, hard working inside footy that provided the foundation for a side. We are now the fools who are building a house on sand.
What changes would you like to see this off-season?

Tonight is proof that Laverde and McKernan held our forwardline together. We won the inside 50 count 42-37 for 28 points.

When you beat sides like Sydney, Fremantle and Adelaide by a combined 15 points and North by 14 points, chances are you're as good as them.

Absolutely no way! We’re ever so slightly better than them.

For my whole life I've followed this poor excuse for a football club.

I was 3 in 93 and 10 in 2000, I was too young to see success. I haven't seen any success at all. I was born into an essendon mad family.

I wish we stood for something, but we don't. We are a terrible. We are missing 3 decent mids. No big bodied mids. Ellis-Yolmen was delisted by Adelaide, I posted we should get him, I was laughed at. He is exactly what the club is missing. He and two more.

* this club. Let's keep doing the same things, never know, they might eventually work.

A lot of focus will be on our completely dysfunctional forward line, and rightly so, but the stats flatter an otherwise ordinary performance in the middle. While Pidge and Parish battled well, we had absolutely nothing on the outside to work with, and most of our possessions and delivery where rushed and pressured, while Brisbane seemed always in space and assured with ball in hand. Easy to point out clearance numbers and possessions in a vacuum, but the real story is how well they used the ball when they had it.

Sorry for the intrusion and I didn’t see the game but saw this and just wondered what was made of this during the game. Looks like two players holding onto a ball? How the helm is that HTB?? That. Number 12 ump
is useless.

While there are no excuses for the team to just fall away like that, likewise there is no excuse for the most biased umpiring game i've ever seen. Had the umpires called it objectively when the game mattered, we might have actually had a chance.
This in spades. That was cheating. We couldn't even touch a lions player without a free but they could do whatever they liked.

Our game was putrid, but the umps took the wind completely out of our sails. AFL need to get back to basics or they will lose long term supporters.

Even the commentators, who aren't allowed to criticise too much, could see it. If this club has any balls we need to call it out.

Can’t forget we have close to half our best team missing, it makes a difference.

But.....can someone explain to me the point of picking a bunch of short people and then playing slow, down the line footy??? Like...how is that ever going to work? The lack of correlation between team selection and playing style is bewildering right now.
If that down the line thing is something Rutten has bought in we are stuffed. No run through the middle. Not even good to watch.

Sorry for the intrusion and I didn’t see the game but saw this and just wondered what was made of this during the game. Looks like two players holding onto a ball? How the helm is that HTB?? That. Number 12 ump
is useless.

That bit of umpiring was nearly as bad as how we played

So how de we get Draper through this next 3 games? Play him against the Giants, miss the Suns and back in for the Saints?
I really hope they don’t play him in all 3, would hate to see him nick a hammy, we need him to play out the majority of the season to gain experience.

Snelling is not a dud. Actually a really smart footballer who always cracks in and gives 100% effort, we need more like him. He’d be a gun playing in richmonds team.

Snelling is NOT a smart footballer. His intent may be there, but his use of the football in close/under pressure is ordinary. I would’ve counted on 2-3 occasions last night where he coughed the ball up that lead to lions scores.

To me he’s a Ben Howlett, a lot of nothing tackles in congestion & for a HF doesn’t hit the scoreboard nearly enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is useless.

Think of all the swear worlds you’ve ever heard and times it by 10, then you're about halfway there.

This in spades. That was cheating. We couldn't even touch a lions player without a free but they could do whatever they liked.

Our game was putrid, but the umps took the wind completely out of our sails. AFL need to get back to basics or they will lose long term supporters.

Even the commentators, who aren't allowed to criticise too much, could see it. If this club has any balls we need to call it out.

Call it out. It works. After Hinkley complained when we got bent over against the saints, we got the rub of the green against Melbourne for about the first time I can remember.

Nothing surer than an AFL overcorrection and a free ride in your next game.

Can’t forget we have close to half our best team missing, it makes a difference.

But.....can someone explain to me the point of picking a bunch of short people and then playing slow, down the line footy??? Like...how is that ever going to work? The lack of correlation between team selection and playing style is bewildering right now.

Half our team? How many of:
Ambrose
Daniher
Fantasia
Heppell
Johnson
Hird
Hooker
Jones
Langford
Laverde
Stringer

Are our best guys?
I count 3 (Hooker, Heppell, Stringer as legit best 22) but to say Ambrose, Langford, Fantasia and Daniher pushing it considering Daniher hasnt played for 2+ years and Fantasia has gone missing for a year..

Half our team? How many of:
Ambrose
Daniher
Fantasia
Heppell
Johnson
Hird
Hooker
Jones
Langford
Laverde
Stringer

Are our best guys?
I count 3 (Hooker, Heppell, Stringer as legit best 22) but to say Ambrose, Langford, Fantasia and Daniher pushing it considering Daniher hasnt played for 2+ years and Fantasia has gone missing for a year..
Take your point but I do include those guys....I also consider Smack and McKenna best 22 who aren’t on your list but didn’t play last night.

Put it this way - we had 10 guys out who would have played last night if they were available.

Last night’s game was a good demonstration of what a good week by week game plan strategy should be by Fagan and the Lions. Identified Saad and Ridley as been our form/better players and put time into
them. On the other hand Essendon seems have a plan where they want a certain style of play with no regard for the opposition strengths and just thinking if the plan is executed they will prevail. It’s inexcusable that we didn’t put time into Neale around the stoppages and let him have free run. I can’t remember one Essendon player actually standing shoulder to shoulder with him and giving it to him physically. Our players are just soft and nice all the time.
Rant done.

Sorry for the intrusion here guys, not trying to stir the pot at all, I'm not that type of supporter but as a tigers fan I was pleased to see Townsend get another shot with your club but wasn't he bought in to play midfield minutes as a crash and bash type player to clear the way for your Merrett and Shiel types? I have literally not seen him enter 1 centre bounce. He looks to be playing a genuine full forward type roll which is a pretty big ask for a guy his size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back