AFL Autopsy Rnd 9: Mauled By the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I was watching with my elderly mother, a lions supporter. What came out of my mouth during “the McGrath incident” has had me feeling terrible shame all Saturday.
Mums Cats, brother is Bulldogs and Step father Richmond. It's non-stop shame all round when we go home for a weekend of footy, especially if any are playing each other. Mums also getting elderly and probably the worst behaved - though she has a soft spot for Essendon.

We unite as a family by all hating Carlton, Hawthorne, Collingwood and most interstate clubs. it's that hate that keeps us close despite our differences :)

The disappointment for me was the drop off in effort again. Did not think we where a chance but we sucked.
A few of the same issues again. Crap defensive zone. Lack of spread or effort leaving us to play slow footy.
Anyway to look at it half glass full. Stewart played. Draper was decent in his first game. McGrath continues to evolve in the midfield. BZT played.
For mine I am just hoping we get some games into a decent number of the younger players. The Victorian teams are going to struggle with up and down form so sides like Brisbane will be in the box seat being based at home and travelling in and out like they normally do.
So far we have been what we are. Middle of the road.
Yeah. After the fast start the Pies got against us, we knuckled down, got the game back then really dominated it from there.
Dropped our bundles and gave up this time round.

I think the lack of forward targets is impacting them too.
The effort to knuckle down, run hard, get into space, etc...then you look up and realise it's been a waste.
Limited marking targets and the ones we have tend to like to grapple rather than lead.

I'm a big fan of some of the work he has done, but he has been with us what... 10+ years? Time for a change and a new philosophy

I would pay $5m outright for Neil Balme to come over and do this for us

That's a hard no to Balme. It's a big step to go from bailing players out of jail and manipulating the media to running a football program from top to bottom.

He's good at what he does but by no means is he GM material.

That's a hard no to Balme. It's a big step to go from bailing players out of jail and manipulating the media to running a football program from top to bottom.

He's good at what he does but by no means is he GM material.
Bruno - he wouldn't be backwards in going forwards - I'd love to hear his opinion more than many others in the FL system right now. It would be hoinest, but bruital to the EFC right now. No one else I can see in the system would offer that.

Who ever is recruiting at Brisbane has done a stellar job. Bringing in Cameron when he was on the verge of breaking out. Same with Neale. Both Clug and Rayner will be excellent players for a long time. etc. etc. I wouldn't mind replacing Dodoro with that person.
Had to laugh, we are hard on the recruitment trail on this page. Bruno's laid down a hard 'no' on Balme and hisJail bail outs, and meanwhile you've got Dodoro being replaced with some nameless dude from Brisbane - who is actually most likely a better option :)

Had to laugh, we are hard on the recruitment trail on this page. Bruno's laid down a hard 'no' on Balme and hisJail bail outs, and meanwhile you've got Dodoro being replaced with some nameless dude from Brisbane - who is actually most likely a better option :)
For everyone information.
Dave Noble football manager. Was at the Crows as football manager until 2016. Previously coached at Glenelg and was an assistant at the Dogs.
Dom Ambrogio is their list manager. Was in recruiting at the GC for 10 years and the Dogs before that. Started at the Lions in 2017.
Stephen Conole is their recruiting manager. He has been there since around 2011. Not sure how long as manager but it has been over 6 years.
Leon Harris consults with their recruiting. Was a long time Vic Country coach.
Andrew Farrell has been their head of Victorian recruiting since 2012.
Shane Rogers is listed as a pro scout. He was head of recruiting at Carlton until 2015.

They've recruited to fill needs. Needed a big extractor to support Beams. Went and got Neale. When Beams looked like he was going, went and got CEY. Needed a key forward, focused on Hipwood. I wanted to believe in Dodoro for a long time but I'm done. There are so many mids in this country. We have Jobe retire and waste our time turning two forwards, Langford and Stringer, into mids. Our gameday coaching sucks arse too. Sending Cahill into the middle in the same game when Hibberd was on the field was a masterstroke in ineptitude. I just don't give a s**t about this stupid f****** club at the moment.

For everyone information.
Dave Noble football manager. Was at the Crows as football manager until 2016. Previously coached at Glenelg and was an assistant at the Dogs.
Dom Ambrogio is their list manager. Was in recruiting at the GC for 10 years and the Dogs before that. Started at the Lions in 2017.
Stephen Conole is their recruiting manager. He has been there since around 2011. Not sure how long as manager but it has been over 6 years.
Leon Harris consults with their recruiting. Was a long time Vic Country coach.
Andrew Farrell has been their head of Victorian recruiting since 2012.
Shane Rogers is listed as a pro scout. He was head of recruiting at Carlton until 2015.
Just as an indicator of their approach, Brisbane took McCarthy who i know was flagged directly to Essendon's recruitment department - identified as a solid value for money / moneyball opportunity.

Last edited:
Who ever is recruiting at Brisbane has done a stellar job. Bringing in Cameron when he was on the verge of breaking out. Same with Neale. Both Clug and Rayner will be excellent players for a long time. etc. etc. I wouldn't mind replacing Dodoro with that person.
Didn't they completely bottom out, almost fold and get a priority pick?

Mums Cats, brother is Bulldogs and Step father Richmond. It's non-stop shame all round when we go home for a weekend of footy, especially if any are playing each other. Mums also getting elderly and probably the worst behaved - though she has a soft spot for Essendon.

We unite as a family by all hating Carlton, Hawthorne, Collingwood and most interstate clubs. it's that hate that keeps us close despite our differences :)
I know these family anecdotes are sort of a side conversation, they also perfectly summarise where the club is at.

With our performance mostly mediocre except for when it’s utterly terrible there is some real embarrassment in announcing you’re an Essendon supporter these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know these family anecdotes are sort of a side conversation, they also perfectly summarise where the club is at.

With our performance mostly mediocre except for when it’s utterly terrible there is some real embarrassment in announcing you’re an Essendon supporter these days.
I thought about it too. For more or less my first 25 years I was the only one who's team had success (others didn't do too much -Richmond, Geelong and Bulldogs).

That's changed! I'm happy for them though. Stepfather shed a tear in 2017 and my brother the same when the Dogs got up. Bit like me in 2001 - and Pint on Punt after ANZAC Day 2009 :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back