AFL Autopsy Rnd 9: Mauled By the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hurley one was close to the worst. He honestly couldn’t have done it better.

A real shame to see somebody get rewarded for being falconed when there was literally no infringement.
AFL breathing a little easy that we put in such a putrid performance

Draper was the only positive.

I can’t take us serious while we’re playing duds like Zaka, Townsend, T Bel, Snelling, Gleeson & Redman. Cahill & Ham are young but uncompetitive. Both can’t be playing next week.

Redman, Gleeson & Francis were the deadset 3 stoogers down back tonight.

We’re a bottom 4 team.

I can’t take us serious while we’re playing duds like Zaka, Townsend, T Bel, Snelling, Gleeson & Redman. Cahill & Ham are young but uncompetitive. Both can’t be playing next week.

We’re a bottom 4 team.
Chances are, most of those players wouldn't be playing if we had Heppell, Stringer, Daniher, Laverde, Langford, Hooker, Ambrose, Fantasia, McKenna and McKernan available (except TBC and Zaka. Zaka has cemented his place). We're really digging into our depth.

It lifts us from a bottom 4 side to an also rans middle of the table side. I'd like to believe the above make a difference for my sanity.

We’re a bottom 4 team.
Snelling is not a dud. Actually a really smart footballer who always cracks in and gives 100% effort, we need more like him. He’d be a gun playing in richmonds team.

Snelling is not a dud. Actually a really smart footballer who always cracks in and gives 100% effort, we need more like him. He’d be a gun playing in richmonds team.

It’s a shame of his size but we can’t be running Snelling, Merrett, Zaha and Smith in the same midfield. They are all getting absolutely burnt on defensive transition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

very ordinary loss but people should take a look at who we actually have out and yes you take the top 8 players out of say Port or Brisbane and they would struggle. you put Stringer
Heppell
McKenna
Daniher
Hooker
McKernan
Fantasia
Langford
Laverde in our side and we look and play totally different and I know some other sides have had injuries but nothing like ours.

some of the blokes who played tonight should be dropped, Cahill
Snelling
Cutler
Thatcher
Ham

and one guy who should be banished and delisted is Tom Bellchambers. I hate bagging my Dons and I have been a supporter for 40 years but Tom mate you are a plodder at best. gives aways dumb free kicks, the effort is poor for a big man cant kick, I could go on he should not play again. just play Draper. that may sound harsh but I have seen enough of Tom and he is not up to it. so we sit 5-3 with that game in hand which we should win but it is our percentage yet AGAIN that will kill us. as I said I have seen a lot of my beloved club and yes we have had some great times but right now I just feel flat as *. as I said to a mate the other day that drug saga put is back 10 years and we are slowly coming out of it but it's about we started to be a consistent footy club again. let's hope it happens.. sorry if my post may be all over the place but I am a passionate supporter who only wants the best for the club.......!!!

Snelling doesn’t really play in the midfield though, more of a high half forward.
If I had one criticism of him is that he's too handball happy. He's a good kick, should trust it more

The whole game was pretty awful. At least Draper looks like a real long term AFL ruck option. Needs as many games as we can get into him this year.
One thing that has really screwed us not only this year but over the past 3 years is our complete inability to get a set of forwards that we can play week in week out to build up some synergy. Tonight we were the complete opposite of that and it showed. One of the big priorities at season's end should be getting together a group that we believe will take us forward and putting games into them.

Yep definitely, although that might be a coaching directive let. Some of kicks he made against collingwood were outstanding.
9:15 average in the VFL last year, 12:18, 8:15 and 7:12 in his three SANFL years as well. Seems like a thing in his game.

I want him kicking the ball.

Missing too many quality players from the team - Skills and ball handling abysmal - Full ground structure has broken down the last three weeks resulting in the conceding of too many goals from our forward half - Will add playing 2 rucks doesn't work me - Will work better if Mckernan replaces T-Bell next week

Draper looks to have a really good aggressive style. A few kicks were wobbly but he's going to give a strong contest and not take a backward step.

Was also good to see Stewart back. Hopefully Smac can play next and we have a proper tall forward line. If we can finish this year with Draper and Stewart in the best 22 that's something.

You know Stewart and Smack are not playing in the same side.

Why do it to yourself?

;)

You know Stewart and Smack are not playing in the same side.

Why do it to yourself?

;)
Surely, surely they'll see we needed someone who can take a contested mark. Stewart should be playing as the 2nd/3rd tall alongside McKernan and a resting ruck. He is mobile enough at ground level.

I'm starting to doubt whether Woosha actually remembers 2017 when we played 3 talls. Surely Caracella also recalls playing 2 ruckman and two KPFs at Richmond.

That's what I mean. Folks banging on about Woosha when things were bad, heaping praise on Truck when there was some signs of improvement, and now back to blaming Woosha.

I think my favourite part of Worsfold's coaching to the end of 2019 was that sustainable brand he built. You know that one he was always talking about. The one that served us so well.

The positive is we are missing these guys Heppell, Stringer, Daniher, Hooker, McKenna, McKernan, Langford, Laverde, Ambrose and Fantasia.

Assuming Daniher and McKenna are not there next season it is still a strong group to take out of a side.

Those outs expose Essendon's poor game plan of aiming high instead of at the target and kicking down the line or into the forward 50 with no one offering a lead.

Fagen has put together a good list of young and experienced talent which is going places.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back