AFL Autopsy RND3: Beaten by the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Im gonna go the unpopular opinion here

Jones may not be good enough.
Getting schache vibes. Flashes but not an afl fwd. Weid + jones is a soft set of KPFs
Might have to give Baldwin a go if things continue - he isn't afraid of collisions and seems a natural footballer. If he gets his hands on the ball he will hold it. Athletic ability seems to be the question mark.

You may be right about Jones but I'm not ready to call it yet.. he is coming off a lot of time missed to injury and at least has been getting on the park.

I think he is still too small to be a key forward.. if he doesn't put on more weight then he may have to play a different role.

Fair to say there is still a lot to play out with that whole group of Reid, Jones and Cox et al
Agree on the size thing, but size doesnt matter when it comes to kicking very basic shots as well.

It was fine when he played decoy last week and Langford bobbed up.
This week it didnt happen and none of weid, jones or stringer gave us anything.

But for perkins, caldwell and the mids contributing, we were impotent fwd.

We all saw what we did wrong but the essendon of the last 20 years loose that by 10 goals. Just need to be playing the hobbs, Voss's, it would be handy to get reid & cox on the park. Things aren't that far off.

Is Mass in the right position? Not a defender his foot skills have passed merret. Is he better suited on a wing

With no 2m, Flip should be playing.

Durham - doesn't do enough for me

Archie - needs to be better

Hepp- That is it mate get formn in VFL like every player does.

Davey - will be a player just not getting it yet in the big time this is not school footy

Parish / Caldwell- consistently are in and out of games can't carry both each week!

Changes I would like to see

In: BZT, Flip, Voss, Hind, Hobbs ( I thought hinds play on made us play a different brand of football.

Out: Heppel, Durham, Laverde, Davey, Jones or Weid

But we are playing differently and we are playing better footy!

2 games? Yep and I’ve watched his career. Potato journeyman played out of his skin tonight. It’s our gift to him.
Watch Jesse Hogan kick a bag on us next week.
Agree in the past and was a potato forward. Playing wing seems to have unlocked something in him

Might have to give Baldwin a go if things continue - he isn't afraid of collisions and seems a natural footballer. If he gets his hands on the ball he will hold it. Athletic ability seems to be the question mark.
I think we pick one of weid or jones and play flip as 2nd ruck
I'd also have stringer out of the side and langford/martin/duz rotating wing and forward.

Hobbs is playing VFL. 😎
So you name him as an in on Thursday before you know the results of his injury ? 🙂
Yes he is in the VFL but he was only cleared to play yesterday.
When he team was named he was yet to be cleared.

We all saw what we did wrong but the essendon of the last 20 years loose that by 10 goals. Just need to be playing the hobbs, Voss's, it would be handy to get reid & cox on the park. Things aren't that far off.

Is Mass in the right position? Not a defender his foot skills have passed merret. Is he better suited on a wing

Davey - will be a player just not getting it yet in the big time this is not school footy

Parish / Caldwell- consistently are in and out of games can't carry both each week!

In: BZT, Flip, Voss, Hind, Hobbs ( I thought hinds play on made us play a different brand of football.

Cannot agree on durham.

Suspect davey will get a rest when guelfi is good to go. Im fine to invest for now given he does team things.

Mass probably too short for the wing role. Team needs to make sure he's not last man standing in defence. A better game from mason and he isnt as exposed.

Mason Wood was the fortunate recipient of the Essington “Wayne Carey for an evening” experience.
Each week we pick one
spud campaigner from the opposition and make him look like The Duck. Congratulations Mason, it was your night.
Mason would be in the AA team if it was picked right now, been amazing in all 3 games.

Emergency, then late change?

He should be playing over hepp.
He doesn’t play wing and midfielders playing wing is not a good idea .
Heppell should be out but Hobbs needs to play a position he can actually play. Midfield or small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 18 beers deep.... but I want mass kicking inside 50 whenever he can. Put him on a wing of fwd flank and loop past every mark 50-75m out and hitting it up. Elite kick.

Plus why on earth did we drop Phillps. Criminally underrated.

How Hepp wasn't subbed at qtr time I'll never know. Staggering.

Heppell decision likely cost us the game. He cost us at least a few goals

We have carried players before but not like this. Myers was at least a strong body. Even Nick Kommer was able to put pressure on. Zaka would occasionally bob up with a goal.

Right now, he offers nothing and it was a really poor decision to play him. He gets bodied off the ball, can’t kick and can’t apply any pressure.

Disclaimer, he seems like a great guy and I respect what he’s put into the club. But he should not play until we are out of finals contention.
For sure he should not be in the starting lineup, but, in no way did Heppell alone cost us the game tonight. He was a contributing factor, but not the sole cause.

Redman had a bigger impact on the loss than Hepp. Our slow ball movement had a bigger impact than Hepp. Our skill errors had a bigger impact than Hepp. Our fwd structure had a bigger impact than Hepp. Team selection had a bigger impact than Hepp.

I could go on, and on, and on...

Jeez I agree with a lot but bit harsh on Parish.. our highest possession getter, highest contested possession winner.. 35 on the night with a goal and 4 clearances.. not bad in a losing side.

Caldwell is struggling to find his place now that Setters has taken that inside mid role.. but he played a 5 minute purple patch that shows his class. Caldwell is a bit player.. a rotation.

I agree that Davey, whilst exciting, needs to do the basics better and make better decisions. He is going to be a player.. no one doubts it.. but you aren't the fastest/best player on the field yet.

I think we missed a trick not playing Hobbs and I also think that Guelfi did enough last week to suggest he should be getting a gig ahead of Stringer/Menzies.

Stringer was our, statistically, worst performer on the night and Heppell was our worst player by a long way. Very concerning stuff when you two most senior players (and you could argue only senior players) are your worst. Highlights how young we are and how bumpy the ride is going to be. St Kilda are in a different phase of development to us and I still think we could beat them on our night. It is going to be hard to watch but gotta have faith.

Great effort to stay in the game. When you are so obviously off the boil early it can become a ten+ goal loss before you know it. To work our way back shows new levels of maturity.

We are not going to be anywhere near the finished product yet. What I am seeing is progress from a team that is young and still missing key components.

The only thing I’ll back the naysayers here on is that the call needs to be made on Hep. Not that he is done as such but more to the point that if you’re not performing you go find form in the VFL.

Some of the negative views I am seeing are based on the venting of emotional recency bias. Jones has the tools to make it but he needs to develop as a third tall. Too often he’s the focal point but he’s not ready for that. Scott doesn’t need to prove himself to any of us fans yet. He’s working out the pieces of a puzzle and if that means that Langford is played in position you don’t agree with then suck it up because he will be crucial as a swingman when we’re contending. Hobbs needs to develop his midfield craft with some continuity. If that means being in the VFL until after the bye I’d be ok with that. His inclusion would’ve gained little tonight.

Let’s see how we bounce back next week. As Knighter once said, ‘I’m bullish’.

For sure he should not be in the starting lineup, but, in no way did Heppell alone cost us the game tonight. He was a contributing factor, but not the sole cause.

Redman had a bigger impact on the loss than Hepp. Our slow ball movement had a bigger impact than Hepp. Our skill errors had a bigger impact than Hepp. Our fwd structure had a bigger impact than Hepp. Team selection had a bigger impact than Hepp.

I could go on, and on, and on...
Hepp wasn't sole cause.. but I'd put him up there as a very large part of it.. his first five kicks were all shocking turnovers.. plus RTB had primed his players to run off Dyson.. hence why they moved the ball so freely in the first quarter. Brad Scott then moved Dyson up to the wing/rotating flanker and then durham was tasked with covering Heppells man.

Redman cost us badly with his brain fades.. agreed but Heppell skill errors just killed our momentum.

That’s not unpopular, it’s a fact.
Weid is just Francis mkII and Jones is nothing more than inflatable advertising stuffed into a guernsey.
Inflatable Arm Flailing Wacky Tube Man Dancing GIF
My dog loves wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube men, but what the hell does she know she's only a dog
PXL_20230321_012156914~2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back