AFL Autopsy RND3: Beaten by the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints played Well.

Essendon controlled 3 quarters of this game and really should have done better with it.

Loss of BZT was badly felt as Kelly kept getting the ball in positions where Ridley got it previously and his ball usage compared to ridley is a step below.

In general the team seemed to struggle with the saints athleticism and their own halfhearted approach to physicality.

Some encouraging signs particularly Caldwell, Martin, Durham playing well.

Stringer can join Heppell as a VFL player. Just doesn’t fit in this team. Him and Langford play the same role as 3rd tall and there’s only room for one.

Thought Jones was good and didn’t deserve to come off the ground. Worked hard for others and was active in bringing the ball to ground in a way the other talls weren’t.

Absolutely killed us in the air.
Astute observation and same happened last week. We didn’t win the first two games through the air either. Not one contested mark against GC(in the forward line)I think Brad knew this too as he was using Jones as a dummy forward to bring the smalls into it with the mids chipping in. Peter Wright is a massive loss.

One of the things I had hoped for with a strong personality like Scott was some real integrity with selection. You're fit, firing and ready to put in 110% or you don't play, who cares what your name is. Worrying signs already that Stringer and Hepp were named in this 22.

Stringer is clearly underdone, and should be asked to shape up and find form in the ressies before he's let back in. Weideman also looked a pace or two off: maybe needed a run in the twos or another week of training before coming in. In hindsight I'm not sure we were better off with him in the side versus keeping Phillips in to back up Drapes (who was pantsed by Marshall, again).

Hepp is just so far off it I'm not sure he can get back. But he should be given the opportunity like anyone else. Maybe he can find form and touch and some poise in traffic in the ressies that will overcome his short-burst speed deficiency. But either way, he shouldn't be taking up a spot in the starting 22 given his current output.

To me the problem is still the structure. We fixed the small forward/inside mid issue but we don’t have the back up for Wright. I am disappointed to hear that Voss is a lead up player! The problem with those type of forwards is that you can plan team defences against them. I was hoping he was more a contested beast as he tackles people into oblivion. If he is a lead up type I hope he is in the Barry Hall mould.

To me the problem is still the structure. We fixed the small forward/inside mid issue but we don’t have the back up for Wright. I am disappointed to hear that Voss is a lead up player! The problem with those type of forwards is that you can plan team defences against them. I was hoping he was more a contested beast as he tackles people into oblivion. If he is a lead up type I hope he is in the Barry Hall mould.
Depends on which Barry Hall you want!

Barry Hall vs Staker?

Barry Hall vs the crowd?

Barry Hall vs Paul Gallen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on which Barry Hall you want!

Barry Hall vs Staker?

Barry Hall vs the crowd?

Barry Hall vs Paul Gallen?

As good and tough as Barry was he was not a contested beast as someone like say like a Wayne Carey(hurts me to say it) but he did have an intimidation factor pre Gallen. I see no good reason for Patrick to change his ways when he makes the big time unless he can take 10 contested marks a match like Carey.

As good and tough as Barry was he was not a contested beast as someone like say like a Wayne Carey(hurts me to say it) but he did have an intimidation factor pre Gallen. I see no good reason for Patrick to change his ways when he makes the big time unless he can take 10 contested marks a match like Carey.
Sorry if you were expecting an opinion as if I knew wtf was up going on! Just give a laugh emoji FFS, thats all I wanted, not an in depth analysis.😂

Sorry if you were expecting an opinion as if I knew wtf was up going on! Just give a laugh emoji FFS, thats all I wanted, not an in depth analysis.😂
Don’t worry about my expectations because it didn’t really involve you I guess. Certainly wasn’t expecting an opinion but whatever it’s a free country. I’m sorry though because I’m not giving you an emoji now maybe another time. I don’t really know if you know or you don’t because I don’t know you?

Don’t worry about my expectations because it didn’t really involve you I guess. Certainly wasn’t expecting an opinion but whatever it’s a free country. I’m sorry though because I’m not giving you an emoji now maybe another time. I don’t really know if you know or you don’t because I don’t know you?

Hey you’re really right I don’t have to know you to give you an emoji it’s not like there is any law against it hey?

I no longer know WTF is going on, you are confusing me. Except im disappointed with the work that I put into the project. I dont work for free you know. Bill is in the mail!

Advice to all of those who engaded with Happyskeret, he doesn't pay with emojis!!!

Last edited:
GIF by JoyPixels

This is dedicated to my new friend Albertross for all the hard work he put in to the symbolism of emotional logos. Thank you

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back