AFL Toast RND3: Win Against The Aints

Jesse Custer

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 28, 2008
Melwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Daniher, Fantasia, Saad and McKenna would’ve made bugger all difference to that result.

Just shows you how much more important effort and application is than individuals.
Correct Bunk. But in modern footy there's one more important factor to add to effort and application. That is system. The players need to understand what their roles are and do it efficiently. Look at the Hawks five years ago and now Richmond. It's early days of course but we are on our way. And on that note, Rutten has coached under Hardwick who has coached under Clarkson.

Apr 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
That thread is something else. Let’s also mention they started it during the game..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was thinking about this last night. While it isn’t great that we are in that rebuild stage and still won’t challenge for a few years, I would rather that then be in the limbo that they are in now.

They will still play finals, but is that the ceiling? Reminds me of North under Scott. A good 4th-8th side.

At least the sky is the limit at this stage for this group.

Was thinking about this last night. While it isn’t great that we are in that rebuild stage and still won’t challenge for a few years, I would rather that then be in the limbo that they are in now.

They will still play finals, but is that the ceiling? Reminds me of North under Scott. A good 4th-8th side.

At least the sky is the limit at this stage for this group.
Their next stretch of games is brutal. West Coast, Richmond and Port are the next 3. They could easily be 1-5 and it’s hard to come back and make finals from there.

Having watched the replay I don't think there's a lot we can take from that. There was zero pressure from the Saints and they let us do whatever we wanted. Blokes would receive a handball and have an eternity to assess the best option and there were huge gaps for players to lead into. I'm tipping we'll look awful against the Swans.

Having watched the replay I don't think there's a lot we can take from that. There was zero pressure from the Saints and they let us do whatever we wanted. Blokes would receive a handball and have an eternity to assess the best option and there were huge gaps for players to lead into. I'm tipping we'll look awful against the Swans.
Under selling how good our pressure was all day. It is simple. Bring the Port pressure and we get smashed. Bring what we did yesterday and we may not win but we will not get smashed.
It was how hard we came at them that made them look as ordinary as they did. The fact we where smashing them in disposals and tackles showed it.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Under selling how good our pressure was all day. It is simple. Bring the Port pressure and we get smashed. Bring what we did yesterday and we may not win but we will not get smashed.
It was how hard we came at them that made them look as ordinary as they did. The fact we where smashing them in disposals and tackles showed it.
Special mention to Dev and Snello in that regard. High disposal and tackle numbers.

Any update on the Redman injury? That was a real downer for me, looked sharp for the first time in 18 months last night.

Quick, aggressive and assured, fingers crossed he doesn’t miss too many
Redman played reasonably well in the Port game too, indicated that he was playing his way into form.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg

I'm sure someone has mentioned it but it reminded me of the Collingwood game last year. Bring top-level pressure and if the opponent is even a little off their game they get smashed. The challenge is obviously bringing that week after week like Richmond do, and then having the skills to reliably capitalise.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I'm sure someone has mentioned it but it reminded me of the Collingwood game last year. Bring top-level pressure and if the opponent is even a little off their game they get smashed. The challenge is obviously bringing that week after week like Richmond do, and then having the skills to reliably capitalise.
Belief will bring consistency
Dont mess with that plan. Thought we mixed pressure and tempo control really well

Big one for me was how we play sans shiel, who has a tendency to continually push forward hard when slow, sure movement is called for
Dare i say, the GWS hasnt been taken out completely yet.

I would not necessarily mess with that line-up outside draper in when all are fit.

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Not getting too emotional about a great win, and will try not to get too emotional about a bad loss...

The thing is...the benchmark of effort has been set - I will be disappointed if it is a one off. I can accept the effort of a young group waning at some point, but let's not have a week on/ four weeks off, please....!!!

Hird05

All Australian
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
These posts are just cringworthy. Why does every second post about Hind have to imply he's as good or better than Saad? Let's see 3 consecutive top 3 best and fairest before we bang on about this.

Let's just enjoy Hind for a good replacement without always trying to downgrade the bloke we almost unanimously agreed was close to our best player.
Sorry sir. Just thought Saad had a s**t attitude. I'll downgrade him if I want to buddy. They play in the same position so some comparison is always gunna happen.

I think Hind is better for our team than Saad.

I never said he's a better player. I referred to the team. It's a thing.

Last edited:

Hird05

All Australian
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
And I'll add to that also losing Fantasia and Daniher I think in the long run will improve our team. You want consistent types with good attitude. Probably for another thread though

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
And I'll add to that also losing Fantasia and Daniher I think in the long run will improve our team. You want consistent types with good attitude. Probably for another thread though
Yeah, but you would be saying the opposite if they had stayed. Rewriting the past to suit the present.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, but you would be saying the opposite if they had stayed. Rewriting the past to suit the present. It's a good coping mechanism

Talent-wise there's no doubt we're worse off, but from a team perspective signs point to life being better long-term with them gone.

So long as Daniher was on the list we were going to continue to build our entire forwardline around him maybe being fit and at his best, with him gone we've had to re-think that, and whilst it may be a less talented forward-line on paper, in reality predictability and availability is massive.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Talent-wise there's no doubt we're worse off, but from a team perspective signs point to life being better long-term with them gone.

So long as Daniher was on the list we were going to continue to build our entire forwardline around him maybe being fit and at his best, with him gone we've had to re-think that, and whilst it may be a less talented forward-line on paper, in reality predictability and availability is massive.
Exactly. Can't deny talent but Daniher, Saad & Fantasia had lost passion for our club. Leaving was a win/win for all clubs involved. Just like the workplace, when someone is looking elsewhere, they have "checked out" and that holds everyone back. Can get toxic quickly.

Everyone can now move forward. If Daniher had stayed and not been onboard, Jones would be playing VFL and we would be worse off.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Been saying for 5 years we need less flare and more guts. We are talking about two guys who spent three years in the grandstand no?
I'll agree that we will be better off if they continue to struggle to get on the park. Time will tell on that matter.

Back