AFL Toast RND3: Win Against The Aints

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, great win. We caught Saints on a off night, and it was fantastic to see all the contributions from across the park. But one that really stood out for me and who probably won’t get many plaudits, was the game from 2m Peter! Helped give the mids first use and took some useful grabs around the ground. Should of kicked a couple of goals as well. Handy game from a fwd/back up ruckman.

Seems like Stringer was the real barometer in that game. With the help of Hooker and Parish assisting Merrett, 2MP doing the bulk of the ruck, I listened to a very impressive game.

Seems like Stringer was the real barometer in that game. With the help of Hooker and Parish assisting Merrett, 2MP doing the bulk of the ruck, I listened to a very impressive game.

Jake was red hot in the first 2 qrts..dangerous with every contest

and just the most beautifully secure set shot from almost any angle

then fizzled as fatigue set in after..buts that ok considering his lack of league time

he looked aggressive and those subtle things he does is gold jerry ..gold

The three things that have lacked for years; Actually tried and applied pressure, managed to excecute simple skills under no pressure, put in a full four quarter preformance, we did those all tonight.
The problem is, for every other club in the leauge, from Gold Coast to Richmond, the lack of these is an abberation. For us, we do it one week, then totally forget it for the next 4. What we saw tonight needs to be the benchmark. Anyone not giving 100% effort, for 4 quarters, no matter weather it's Heppell or Stringer or Cutler or Jones, needs to be dropped, no questions asked. If we don't do that, then we're just wasting our time.

We've seen one off preformances like this for years. When we back it up, and do so consistantly, then there'll be somthing to celebrate.

Considering I thought Saints would win by 5 goals, I was over a hundred points wrong about this game. And I could not be happier about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody in the middle

That's a statement
They put them in the middle, gatorade shower before the song mostly from Merrett, McGrath, Guelfi (who grabbed two bottles each for that purpose) if you watch the version of the song in the member email. Guelfi and Redman link arms to make a second circle and then change their minds and duck under Wright's, Cox's and Jones' arms to make one circle instead. I think the other end had already linked together to Waterman, but a secondary issue is that Guelfi wouldn't have been able to see through them, and certainly not over their heads.

That was a whole lot of fun but unfortunately, on reflection I think we have to preach a little caution.

Attitude and effort make a HUGE difference at AFL level where 22 players have to be doing a defined job offensively and defensively.

We were great in that area, particularly early, and our confidence grew from there.

But SK were AWFUL. Particularly in the first quarter. Their lack of effort was extreme.

A fair few very frustrating Essendon players had one of their best career games today. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Boys had a crack but it was witches hat stuff for large part.

Almost wonder if you’d prefer a 10 point win against an opponent having a proper dip.

Great win, hopefully they enjoy it and then quickly knuckle down.

That was a whole lot of fun but unfortunately, on reflection I think we have to preach a little caution.

Attitude and effort make a HUGE difference at AFL level where 22 players have to be doing a defined job offensively and defensively.

We were great in that area, particularly early, and our confidence grew from there.

But SK were AWFUL. Particularly in the first quarter. Their lack of effort was extreme.

A fair few very frustrating Essendon players had one of their best career games today. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Almost wonder if you’d prefer a 10 point win against an opponent having a proper dip.

We dont have enough 10 goal wins to be picky about who they come against...

There is no way we should have come within 10 goals of the Saints, today let alone win.

Shocked to be sitting here.

I pencilled us in to be rolled by 80+

Great captains game Zac.....love your work out there....martialling the troops and very vocal....let's make it permanent please......with a 10 year contract and s**t load of money.....

But how good was it to feel like the game was in our keeping so far out from the finish? It’s a feeling I’d almost forgotten...

We went for the kill. No mercy. That is something this club desperately needs to forge into its culture again. If you have a team’s measure, find a way to deny them a sniff whether that’s changing the tempo or putting the foot on the throat - today it was the latter. We couldn’t do that against the Hawkes and it is still eating at me but this is the best possible antidote to that awful capitulation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back