Roast RND8: Bombed by the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

If words could empower actions then something would have happened with us after 2017 when Worsfold said flat out in the media we would need to defend a lot better as a team if we are ever going to amount to anything. Or even when truck put it on our senior players a few weeks back to be better. We are at a spot right now where words are just words. Words are not going to find us leadership depth. Words will not change where we are

I agree that the words being delivered right now are being shown to be ineffective. That's why I said IF they are delivered articulately.

My issue is not with Rutten's words, it's with Heppell's.

Brasher blew the whistle on Dank and got him sacked. Has also been the only President we have had who actually publicly said we had gone soft and had to change directions. May have been here since 2011 but he knows the issues.
Fair but he's striking a very passive position at the moment.

Appreciate him not being dictated to by the media and calling for an independent review.
Im not sure thats the answer and it tends to be a signal that white flags are up.

He needs to do something this week for the fans. And not just platitudes.
That effort on the back of last weeks last quarter is just taking the piss now.

Oddly enough he was smiling with Panthers players late in the game and even looked at the big screen and fixed his hair at one point.
Storm do have culture and standards and what he said after the game was on the money but you have picked the wrong bloke to be a poster boy for leadership standards.
Again not talking about leadership standards at all.

Brasher blew the whistle on Dank and got him sacked. Has also been the only President we have had who actually publicly said we had gone soft and had to change directions. May have been here since 2011 but he knows the issues.
And then the players cracked the shits and asked for an apology.

AFL site says Red dog layed 0 tackles. Without watching a replay id have sworn i saw at least 5 from him
He was one of the few covering for others and applying a lot of pressure / spoils etc. I saw that 0 tackle count and thought it's why it's a bad measure without watching. Mason seemed like one of maybe 4 or 5 who really gave a s**t, possibly the most.

It looks like the coaching staff didn't focus any attention on tackling/contest work in the off season. Really disappointing, given that was our clear weakness against the Dogs in last year's elimination final. Club needs to start planning for 2023 now - list management, game style and fitness staff.

Things will turn in time. Blues have stockpiled picks for 6-8 years and are only becoming good now. Need to stick the course.

Could tell this response was going to happen. A lot of the messaging post-game last week about ignoring 'noise from outside the club', as if the people in the media who were talking about how much we suck were proven wrong or something. We scrapped out a decent win last week against a team as s**t as us and thought "yean that's good enough."

The players deserve every ounce of criticism they're getting and are going to get. 30 tackles is a putrid effort. We have no direction as a team and no one inside the club seems to care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to make the call on Shiel. We need to develop a tagger. We got rid of the last one (Clarke). Shiel's lack of defence is a serious problem and that we get cut up every week with not having a tagging/defensive midfielder. I am just wondering if we can try a Guelfi in that role. He has the 1%er stuff just about right. We really lose nothing by trying such a move.

The MVP thread highlights one of our biggest issues. 99% have Parish in their best 5. Problem is he is also horribly bad as far as defending as a team. How many times does he point for someone to pick up a player and then proceed to walk or jog along while players stream past him ? He is a super coach special . Lives off getting his stats up and making a few tackles so he scores 100 plus every week and makes the best players.
A good AFL midfield needs to be built with a variety of player types. When you're the leading disposal getter in the entire AFL, you deserve a bit of leeway when it comes to tackling and chase down defensive efforts. Do you think the likes of Neale, T Mitchell and J Kelly are not great players as well, given they play a similar game style to Parish? He has an extreme talent in finding the ball, we don't want that coached out of him.

Last edited:
I pinged this to a mate yesterday arvo after he told me he took the Dons at the line (+23.5):

"I just see us being over confident with better players coming in than dropped, swans fired up and the afl wanting a strong swans performance after the last fortnight so the umps will oblige as they usually do in Sydney. Plus i don't rate us atm, one game, or should i say 1 quarter, won't change that point of view"

Sadly accurate, not that the umps had any say in the result

The MVP thread highlights one of our biggest issues. 99% have Parish in their best 5. Problem is he is also horribly bad as far as defending as a team. How many times does he point for someone to pick up a player and then proceed to walk or jog along while players stream past him ? He is a super coach special . Lives off getting his stats up and making a few tackles so he scores 100 plus every week and makes the best players.
In his defence (and isnt blameless, few are) one good thing about him racking up touches means the opposition isnt. He ball hunts and hes a forward running

Mix is wrong and not sure we can play shiel with merrett and parish..
Never seen it work tbh.

Good to see most everyone in the media completely miss with criticism yet again.

Why can’t we run for more than a quarter and a half? I put very little of this on the playing group who are probably so so without being amazing but if your skills are only middle of the road anyway how do you think they’ll be after you’ve absolutely busted your arse and reached the end of your running capacity by half time?
Totally agree, It’s okay to be on the small size if you can run hard, have strong aerobic players, ie Richmond. But if running isn’t a strength, which it appears not to be at our club, then how do we differentiate ourselves from the rest of the league? We were too late to pickup how critical strong aerobic ability is when drafting, recruiting, developing players imo. It’s obviously not that simple, but I think it’s a huge deficiency.

This is rubbish. A good AFL midfield needs to be built with a variety of player types. When you're the leading disposal getter in the entire AFL, you deserve a bit of leeway when it comes to tackling and chase down defensive efforts. Do you think the likes of Neale, T Mitchell and J Kelly are not great players as well, given they play a similar game style to Parish? He has an extreme talent in finding the ball, we don't want that coached out of him.

He’d be fine in the right midfield, but he has very little positive impact for us. He can’t kick and he refuses to defend. He was 2nd overall for disposals and 12th for meters gained. The backwards/sideways handballs don’t mean a whole lot, especially when you’re losing by 10 goals.

Our midfield mix is really poor at the moment. You can only fit one Parish-sized player into a midfield, but we blatantly refuse to address that year after year.

There are too many people on here that think the fix is to get a few more hard edged midfielders. The problems aren't in one part of the ground, the problems are all over the ground.

Too much focus on one specific area and not the rest of the leaky boat.

The reality is we are probably 6 players away from being a week in, week out competitive side. Not just any 6 players but we need at least 4 with leadership skills at various parts of the ground.

Midfield needs a bigger body and some leadership, forward line needs some mongrel and pace. Defence needs 2 more players to replace the likes of Heppell, Hind and Redman. Redman still has enough in the tank, a bit of mongrel and has some scope to get better.

This is purely and squarely an indictment of LIST MANAGEMENT. Why are we so short in all these areas? Whats the point of a Cutler when you have a timid group? We have had lots of drafts and chances to solidify leadership when there has been a vast chasm. You look at our previous group like Hurley, Hooker, Heppell and thats not the level we need. We should have replaced them years ago but haven't made the right decisions.

We haven't recruited the right types. Devon Smith is not a leader. Stringer is not. Sheil is not.

I don't think Rutten has the ability as this stage to transform a completely dysfunctional group. Only the likes of Clarkson can get a portion of this group playing the right way.

You could see it preseason that the group was way off in those practice games. We show up round 1 uncompetitive and we have so many on here making excuses and telling us not to be "chicken littles"

The best thing that we can do this year is just collapse and send everyone off to get their cleanups, get pick 1 or 2, stack up on the required players, get the Daveys, Munkarers and whatever we have in that draft and hopefully we find another 6 players including a decent free agent.

If we don't take a pick in the MSD, everyone should be sacked.

The tackle on Buddy was a sight to see, they actually need to stick.
Mason had just successfully tackled Papley who handballed to Franklin, Kelly corralled and a couple of others just watched, Redman did well to dive and reach Buddy when no one else came at him. Given Franklin was able to shrug the tackle doesn't take away that he was the only one trying to apply decent ball pressure.

Just watching a couple of plays randomly now:
  • Redman successfully tackled Mills who handballed out while tackled - no stat
  • Redman successfully tackled Papley who handballed out while tackled - no stat

I'm sure there were others.

A good AFL midfield needs to be built with a variety of player types. When you're the leading disposal getter in the entire AFL, you deserve a bit of leeway when it comes to tackling and chase down defensive efforts. Do you think the likes of Neale, T Mitchell and J Kelly are not great players as well, given they play a similar game style to Parish? He has an extreme talent in finding the ball, we don't want that coached out of him.
Our club is not in a position yet to gift leeway IMO.

It starts with all in or not in the team if we want to change our culture. When that is ingrained then we can start thinking about premium offensive weapons with defensive deficiencies to add to the mix if the players agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back