Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa
Road clear for Riewoldt and Coasters to come homeTerry Wilson

October 24th, 2008

THE door has been opened for a number of home-grown products to return to their roots and play for the Gold Coast in the 2011 AFL premiership season.

The prospect of the GC17 bid team having access to the cream of the local crop -- headed by St Kilda superstar Nick Riewoldt -- is real and one that excites club director Graeme Downie no end. Whether it has been done deliberately or it is simply a coincidence, at least six Coast junior products will be out of contract with their current clubs by the time a Gold Coast team is due to play in the AFL.

Have your say on the feedback form below

Riewoldt, premiership ruckman Brent Renouf (Hawthorn), Kurt Tippett (Adelaide) and Luke McGuane (Richmond) all come out of contract at the end of the 2010 season. North Melbourne ruckman David Hale and Sam Gilbert (St Kilda) are currently tied to their clubs until the end of next year.

No doubt Hale will be a priority signing for North after his outstanding 2008, but there is a chance he could commit to the Kangaroos for only one more year and leave the option for a move back home the following season.

Of the Coast six-pack, only Tippett is not in the stable of player manager Ricky Nixon's Flying Start organisation, which has opened a Queensland office on the Coast.

A Gold Coast licence is yet to be granted by the AFL, but when it is, we can expect a flurry of activity in the recruiting stakes given one of the likely concessions for the new club will be access to up to 15 uncontracted AFL players.

The thought of having a Riewoldt, a Renouf or a Hale running around in the new Gold Coast colours excites Downie.

"One of the jobs Scott Clayton (recruiting manager) is doing for us is convincing player managers they should be reminding their clients that there are going to be increased opportunities for their players at the end of the 2010 season," he said.

"So contracting a player to that date makes sense in their interests."

Downie said it would be a big advantage to bring locals back home, although there is still a mountain of work to be done, not the least getting somewhere to play.

"A stadium has still to be delivered," said Downie of the main challenge ahead.

How many times did we read this about Judd?
You blokes are crapping yourselves at the prospect of him going home, we can offer him that and a bigger contract.

You'd better hope that the Saints win a premiership in the next few years.

Reiwoldt has always gone on the record to say that he wouldn't want to go anywhere without leading the Saints to a flag.

If he wins a flag in 2009 or 2010, i'd say he's a certainty to leave. If not, it's in the Saints' favour.

Maybe it's in their best interests NOT to win a flag. ;)

Reiwoldt has always gone on the record to say that he wouldn't want to go anywhere without leading the Saints to a flag.

If he wins a flag in 2009 or 2010, i'd say he's a certainty to leave. If not, it's in the Saints' favour.

you really think if push comes to shove he would actually stand by that?

If historical form continues Nick will be waiting a long time before that flag gets delivered.

you really think if push comes to shove he would actually stand by that?

If historical form continues Nick will be waiting a long time before that flag gets delivered.

I've no doubt he will.

Chris Judd left the Eagles with a Premiership to go home.

Reiwoldt has always stated that his home is Melbourne - and again, I doubt he'd leave the Saints without at least a premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda would gladly swap Riewoldt for a flag. Think of all the stars they have had that never played in a flag. Champions come and go but for some clubs, premiership success is rare.

obviously it is going to have so my to do with what is out there, I mean if its a potential superdraft, the Saints might be happy with a first and second round pick if it meant getting another 18yo Reiwoldt and Dal Santo

lol at you fools creaming yourself as if he's already signed up. Unless we win a flag or two there is no chance whatsoever of you bastards getting him.

Judd and Carey (especially Carey) were very different cricumstances, Riewoldt has repeatedly stated that he loves the club and there is zero chance he'll go anywhere unless we win a flag.

Unless youre his agent then what you think has not a sceric of influence in what Reiwoldt is thinking, for that matter, what he is thinking in 3 years time.
So you think Riewoldt has repeatedly lied in public about his intentions, both to the fans and the club?

Keep dreaming guys :thumbsu:

So you think that he cant change his mind over that time, people change their minds all the time, loyalty in AFL is gone and it has been replaced by the new drug, team managment and dollars:(

So you think that he cant change his mind over that time, people change their minds all the time, loyalty in AFL is gone and it has been replaced by the new drug, team managment and dollars:(
It is a sad state, but it's not completely gone, most true modern greats are strong in character and loyalty, like Harves, Voss, Hird etc. Riewoldt has those same qualities. Sure I don't know him, but from everything I have heard him say he is not the sort to just up and leave the club for some extra bucks unless he feels he's done enough for the club (i.e get us a flag)

But hey, believe what you like, if I was in your position I'd like to think we'd get him too.

Gee, there's a fair bit of potential height lining up to come back up here, Riewoldt, Hale, Renouf, Tippet x2, Gilbert, Moran. Shouldn't be short of talls (excuse the pun) when they start up.

lol at you fools creaming yourself as if he's already signed up. Unless we win a flag or two there is no chance whatsoever of you bastards getting him.

Judd and Carey (especially Carey) were very different cricumstances, Riewoldt has repeatedly stated that he loves the club and there is zero chance he'll go anywhere unless we win a flag.

How is that different to Judd? Ask most of the Weagles fans, he was saying exactly the same thing halfway through his last season with them. Every player says that when asked, as would be expected unless they want a headline of 'Player wants to go home' the next day.

Don't kid yourself into thinking Reiwoldt is any different.

How is that different to Judd? Ask most of the Weagles fans, he was saying exactly the same thing halfway through his last season with them. Every player says that when asked, as would be expected unless they want a headline of 'Player wants to go home' the next day.

Don't kid yourself into thinking Reiwoldt is any different.
1. There's no drug problem or string of off field incidents at St Kilda
2. He hasn't yet captained us to a premiership a premiership

If either of those things happen then sure maybe he will go back, but as it stands I severely doubt it.

1. There's no drug problem or string of off field incidents at St Kilda
2. He hasn't yet captained us to a premiership a premiership

If either of those things happen then sure maybe he will go back, but as it stands I severely doubt it.

any club with gardiner and soon to be cousins does, off-field problems follow them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back