Road to the 2016 American Presidential Election

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish I had gotten onto this earlier but the Huffington Post invented a drinking game for Trump's convention speach called Trumpo. You gotta skull a drink whenever he mentions the following.

HuffPost PoliticsVerified account‏@HuffPostPol
Tonight, @realdonaldtrump will accept the GOP nomination for the presidency. We'll be playing #TRUMPO. #RNCinCLE
webicon_green.png

Cn7bntgXgAA78FP.jpg

Last edited:
My theory is Donald is now trying to position himself to resign from the presidential race. He knows he can't win but figures that his followers will vote for Pence because Donald endorsed him and all the Republicans who have jumped ship will come back and vote for Pence because he's not Donald.

My theory is Donald is now trying to position himself to resign from the presidential race. He knows he can't win but figures that his followers will vote for Pence because Donald endorsed him and all the Republicans who have jumped ship will come back and vote for Pence because he's not Donald.

It can't happen. Well, it's only possible in a convoluted way. It's too late for the ballots to be changed, so Pence can only be elected as Vice President. Even if the GOP were to find another candidate to replace Trump, Trump is still the name on the ballot.

From there, it's only if the electors fail to get either ticket to 270 that the vote goes to Congress, and Pence only gets to serve as acting President if the House can't agree on a candidate for President (with the Senate voting for Pence as the VP).

I pity America - whichever way the vote goes.
Yeah, a choice between mad and bad but which is which? I loathe Clinton and Trump scares me and I suspect most
of the western world. What a farce and to think POTUS is the prize. If Trump wins i'm hoping the cool heads in the Republican party
rein him in and we're not all caught up in some hot headed ego driven 'incident' that threatens the world.
I lived and worked in America and frankly a part of me says they deserve this situation but the rest of the world doesn't.

I can't see that this line of not accepting the decision stated by Donald Trump is more than a load of bluster. What's he going to do, declare a civil war? There has been a great deal of fear of what will happen if he gets in and if he was able to do half of what he says he will I would be worried too. But he would get nowhere near half, or even an eighth of the policies he is saying he is behind, like any politician he has just been trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator and will do a backflip when he is in.
I would not say Republican policies are preferable over Democrat policies, and Trump getting in will have immediate effects on some world economies. But I don't think it will be anywhere near the unmitigated disaster people are expecting. Trump could well turn out to be close to the biggest puppet president America have ever had, and with a country that once had a B-actor who co-actored a monkey for president that's saying something.

Trump is looking like he will win the popular vote but might lose the electoral college vote. His truthful hyperbole that the election is rigged will take hold just like he said truthful hyperbole works all those years ago in his biography - yes he had a ghost writer - The Art of the Deal.

Trump is looking like he will win the popular vote but might lose the electoral college vote. His truthful hyperbole that the election is rigged will take hold just like he said truthful hyperbole works all those years ago in his biography - yes he had a ghost writer - The Art of the Deal.
But surely on the basis of popular vote and electoral vote it is not the election that is rigged but the American voting system that is rigged. Trump could just as easily have won the electoral vote but lost the popular vote. He has also not ruled out a court challenge, do you think he may be going the way of George W Bush's "hanging chads"?

But surely on the basis of popular vote and electoral vote it is not the election that is rigged but the American voting system that is rigged. Trump could just as easily have won the electoral vote but lost the popular vote. He has also not ruled out a court challenge, do you think he may be going the way of George W Bush's "hanging chads"?
Stop applying logic. Its Trump and Truthful Hyperbole.

From PBS' Frontline program on the election titled The Choice broadcast in the US a 5 weeks ago and in Oz on Sunday night on SBS

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/the-choice-2016/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/the-choice-2016/transcript/
NARRATOR: And to help sell the apartments, Trump had a novel idea— he inflated the floor numbers. His 58-story building became a 68-story building.

BARBARA RES: How he got away with that, I’m not sure, but he did. And it made a lot of sense in his mind because if you’re renting a room, you’d rather be on the 14th floor than on the 6th floor. In his mind, having an apartment, the higher the apartment was, the better it would look.

NARRATOR: In his autobiography written with author Tony Schwartz, Trump would call it “truthful hyperbole.”

THE ART OF THE DEAL”:“People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole.”

TONY SCHWARTZ: I came up with the phrase “truthful hyperbole.” And of course, it’s a ridiculous term because there is no such thing as truthful hyperbole, but it’s kind of a winning phrase. It really does capture the way in which he sees the world. The truth doesn’t mean much to Donald Trump.

MARIE BRENNER, Vanity Fair: In the time that I was reporting on him, his lawyer said to me, “Donald is a believer that if you repeat something enough, people will start to believe it.”
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/the-choice-2016/transcript/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Kevin Spacey can run for the Democrats in 2020. Americans will appreciate his previous presidential experience.

houseofcards.jpg

In the financial pages of newspapers and also on the TV news it was being said that the Australian dollar will fall sharply if Trump wins. Over the last month it has varied from 75 to 77 cents and was trending upwards without any sharp variations but over the last three and a half hours it has gone down 1.6 cents.

Not so sure about the AUD falling but the stock markets will, in fact it has already happened.

Trump has said too many dumb things , such as slapping a huge import tariffs on Chinese imports, for the world markets not to react. If the market does not recover the assets of many with Super Fund investments, Allocated Pensions etc will fall. This is not good news for an Australian Government that has recently announced it will slash benefits to self funded retirees from Jan 1st. As the assets of retirees fall due to the stock market fall their Aged Pension entitlement will rise. Nett result increased pressure on the Commonwealth Treasury.

It is a domino effect and I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall in various Cabinet Meetings around the world. The world's leaders are all saying 'we can work with Trump' but the question is, can they or more importantly will they?

I cannot find anything funny about a man with no idea being put in the White House. Some of the things Trump has promised,
Some of those promises appear fine but if you are going to cut taxes how are you going to pay for things like rebuilding the US military? Not that it appears to need fixing but Donald seems to think it does. If Trump increases tariffs on Chinese goods it is reasonable to assume that the Chinese will retaliate. If the US is denied markets in the fastest growing economy in the world it is hard to see how Trump is going to create jobs.

The US dollar has already plunged to a level lower than the day after 9/11 and the Australian stock market lost 38 billion this afternoon. Wall Street is yet to close so God knows what damage will be done there. The news is all bad and there is every chance that the US economy will be in recession some time next year.

The world needs to pray that there are some strong willed people with wise heads around Trump and that their views will prevail. If Trump surrounds himself with idiots we are in even deeper shite.

Great news, the Dow Jones has rallied after it's initial meltdown and has finished 170 points up. Hopefully that will be reflected in the Aussie Market. Apparently we saw a new Donald Trump in his victory speech and he said enough to convince people that a lot of what he has said was campaign rhetoric.

If Trump has any sense he will open dialogue with world leaders before he takes office and seek to reassure the United States' major trading and strategic partners that they have nothing to fear.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back