Road To The Gabba

I'm in this situation and a tad worried, but not more than that....yet. The current QLD regulations allow air transit without leaving the airport through any COVID hotspot, which seems to even include VIC. So unless they follow Victoria with a sudden large second wave and are getting 100s of cases a day, I don't think they'll change it.

It's not good news for the chances of getting an exemption to drive through though. QLD would probably want them to stop entirely pretty soon to allow that, you'd think, if they are even contemplating it at all.
If we make it and Palaszczuk changes tack and forces people travelling from SA to QLD via Sydney Airport to quarantine, the AFL should 100% move the game to Adelaide.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
If we make it and Palaszczuk changes tack and forces people travelling from SA to QLD via Sydney Airport to quarantine, the AFL should 100% move the game to Adelaide.
As a Lions fan I'd be okay with this provided Steven Marshall keeps the SA/NSW border open

If you do the road trip, coming back home via NSW is allowed

South Australia Police
2hrs
·
Q: Can we enter South Australia via Victoria if our travel (via car) originated in New South Wales? What roads can we use?

Yes. A person from a low community transmission zone can enter South Australia in a vehicle from New South Wales via Victoria if the person travels directly through Victoria without leaving the vehicle and only via the Sturt Highway from Mildura to Yamba or via the Calder Highway and Meridian Road between Abbotsford Bridge and the Sturt Highway and then via the Sturt Highway to Yamba.

Note: People who are driving from New South Wales to South Australia, who need to travel via Mildura should refill petrol/obtain supplies in New South Wales to avoid stopping. A person must avoid stopping in Victoria unless for an urgent, pressing necessity and if so, avoid any non-essential contact. Examples for stopping would be for a sick child, flat tyre, or you are required to do so under Victorian law. Upon arrival at South Australia, police will ask to verify your travel movements and confirm that you have travelled directly from a low community transmission travel zone.

*******This information is in relation to travellers arriving in SA from NSW ONLY. For travel into NSW you need to follow the regulations NSW currently have in place.******

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Clubs Charter offering first plane has sold out. 2nd charter plane now listed.

I have decided to buy flex plane tickets and cancellable accom in advance just in case. Going Thursday returning Sunday, has cost me $2600 for 2 people. The clubs offering was $3280 for 2. Very much glad I went my own way, but must give kudos for the club for getting on the front foot.

If we don't make it then I lose a $170, but if we won and we hadn't taken these steps, we mightve missed out.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Clubs Charter offering first plane has sold out. 2nd charter plane now listed.

I have decided to buy flex plane tickets and cancellable accom in advance just in case. Going Thursday returning Sunday, has cost me $2600 for 2 people. The clubs offering was $3280 for 2. Very much glad I went my own way, but must give kudos for the club for getting on the front foot.

If we don't make it then I lose a $170, but if we won and we hadn't taken these steps, we mightve missed out.
Where did you book your cancellable accom?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Duckenthusiast

All Australian
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Also flying to the Gold Coast is your best option. ~$600 cheaper and an hours train ride to Brisbane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The train is not bad, but it will be more than an hour (80mins+). I've never had to do the whole leg, but ive regularly done Altandi to Helensvale which is 40 mins and Altandi to Southbank (20 mins) on the express (non-express would be horrendous). That still gives you another 30 kms between Helensvale and the airport.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If it goes from 1870/Diamond group ONLY then straight to the public - the club would be mad. The Qld Interstate members along with all other PAFC members deserve a shot before BlowJoeRedneck

If not, It will end up being a 80-90% Brisbane crowd.

I’m here in Qld have an interstate membership, but dad is Black Diamond, so he is on the job also trying to get me a ticket. He booked his flights a couple of weeks ago via Sunshine Coast airport.

Also, There are heaps of PAFC supporters here in SE Queensland - when all the manufacturing jobs were cut in the 80-90s, and Adelaide went into an economic tough spot, there was mass emigration to SE Queensland of working class Adelaidians (ie Port Supporters). Adelaide did have some people immigrating back in at the time, but we’re mostly of retired age.

Non relevant fact warning: SA was the only state in the early 2000s to have a population policy because it was projected to shrink from 1 million to 800,000. Hence the immigration policies to attract more foreigners. Well done PAFC for appealing to this market, through the China strategy and not being racist - unlike the swamp bottom feeding cows.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
If it goes from 1870/Diamond group ONLY then straight to the public - the club would be mad. The Qld Interstate members along with all other PAFC members deserve a shot before BlowJoeRedneck
The club released info a day or so ago with the categories.
Priority 1: Club 1870, Life Members (1,500)
Priority 2: Black Diamond, Platinum (10,500)
Priority 3: Gold Members (4,500)

hoff_squad

Debutant
Oct 9, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Obviously getting ahead of ourselves and don’t wanna jinx us but... Will Port do a thing at Alberton the next day like in 04?? Cos when looking at flights would really wanna be back for that but Covid etc..

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I bit the bullet and booked flights.

QANTAS, over Saturday morning and back Sunday evening, both flights direct, for $630 return. Non-refundable but transferable for 12 months for $99 each trip. I didn't want to get stuck next week holding a ticket and looking at $1500 flights to get to the game.

Risky, but there really is no ideal way to go about it at the moment. Waiting is just as risky.

Planet FC

Debutant
Oct 7, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The club released info a day or so ago with the categories.
Priority 1: Club 1870, Life Members (1,500)
Priority 2: Black Diamond, Platinum (10,500)
Priority 3: Gold Members (4,500)

So if we don't sell out this allocation, do the remaining tickets simply become available for opposition members before going on sale to the general public?

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I bit the bullet and booked flights.

QANTAS, over Saturday morning and back Sunday evening, both flights direct, for $630 return. Non-refundable but transferable for 12 months for $99 each trip. I didn't want to get stuck next week holding a ticket and looking at $1500 flights to get to the game.

Risky, but there really is no ideal way to go about it at the moment. Waiting is just as risky.
Yep, it sucks, and I hate the idea of jinxing it, but without the option of driving we really have not much choice other than to be planning like this or risk missing out, or paying an absolute fortune.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Yep, it sucks, and I hate the idea of jinxing it, but without the option of driving we really have not much choice other than to be planning like this or risk missing out, or paying an absolute fortune.

I reckon there will be a mad panic at some stage if we make it. I wonder how many extra flights they'll get on. Theoretically they need to get 8000 supporters over there.

Back