Podcast ROAR podcast. Richmond Football History.

Remove this Banner Ad

Derek Peardon (first Indigenous player for Richmond)

Thanks Rhett. I listen to your interview with Derek earlier this week and quite enjoyed it. I hadn't heard of him before then. That's exactly why the work you do is so important for the club!

Amazing to think of Derek, Graeme Bond and KB touring the sprinting circuit together. I say we need a mini-bus for the off-season to get Butler, Castagna, Rioli, Menadue et al around to the country sprints!

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
A couple new podcast episodes updated.

My chat with Simon Brisbane - the first ever captain of Richmond's Little League

My chat with Frank Drum - 1950 recruit from Minyip who decided to return to his mother's farm after just 2 games with Richmond

My chat with Laurie Fowler - who famously knocked out Big Nick in the 1973 Grand Final

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Thanks Rhett, great compilation of Richmond anecdotes. I'm a big fan of a good podcast.

I listened to the interviews with Disco, Ghost, and Bruce Monteath. I was a little too young to remember Monteath as a player, but he sounds like an absolute gun in full flight, before injuries set him back. He admits himself that he probably should have continued on as a VFL footballer for a few more years before pursuing business interests.

But the best of the bunch is the 3-part interview with Neville Crowe. Given the bitter fallout between Crowe and your old man, you handled the material brilliantly.

Well done!

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
New Richmond podcast interviews now online. You can subscribe by searching for 'ROAR Podcast' wherever you listen to podcasts.

New interview with 1969 Richmond premiership player Colin Beard, now online
"Rhett, you've got no idea what it's like to sit out of football, if you've played 163 games and you think you deserve to be part of the action."

Also interviews with some of the men and women who helped form the Richmond Cheer Squad in 1961

Tigerish09

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond reserves
Just finished a very rare interview with Peter Lane, who kicked 116 goals with Richmond U19s in 1980, and never played for the Tigers again.
He talks about his time at Tigerland for the first time.

Always wondered what happened to him so great to hear this. Would like to know what he did post Football, I don't think it was mentioned in the Podcast. What was mentioned which I'm still aghast at is that he would go and watch Collingwood on a regular basis.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Always wondered what happened to him so great to hear this. Would like to know what he did post Football, I don't think it was mentioned in the Podcast. What was mentioned which I'm still aghast at is that he would go and watch Collingwood on a regular basis.

He didn't wish to touch on that in the podcast - but I'm angling for a second interview, so might be able to address it in that one.
Glad you enjoyed the chat. Can't believe we've lost him to Collingwood.

Tigerish09

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond reserves
He didn't wish to touch on that in the podcast - but I'm angling for a second interview, so might be able to address it in that one.
Glad you enjoyed the chat. Can't believe we've lost him to Collingwood.
Thanks Rhett, interesting that he didn't want to canvass his footy afterlife, this just adds to the intrigue. Anyone here know what he did?

What did come across in the podcast was a sense of humility and some indifference about his football but I saw him play and he could play. 1980 was the year that you could turn up at a Richmond game whether it be under 19s, Reserves or Seniors and see some wonderful Full-Forward play usually with one of them scoring a bag of goals.

BTW love your books and I'm hoping that you'll have to put out another edition of the Richmond FC book detailing the 2019 flag.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
New podcasts added:

Dallas Kalms (member of Richmond's last ever U19 premiership)

Peter Turley (U19s 1986 as a 16 yr old)

Rod James - the grandson of Bill James who back in 1920 played 1 game for Richmond - the 1920 flag

Robert Kabbas - the 1984 Olympic silver medallist who trained at Tigerland all that year

Gerald Tanner - who played 1 game for Richmond in 1941

Jack Dyer Jnr - the son of Captain Blood, Dyer Jnr played 3 games in 1960

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
A couple new podcast episodes updated.

My chat with Simon Brisbane - the first ever captain of Richmond's Little League

My chat with Frank Drum - 1950 recruit from Minyip who decided to return to his mother's farm after just 2 games with Richmond

My chat with Laurie Fowler - who famously knocked out Big Nick in the 1973 Grand Final

Jeeez what a collision between Fowler + Big Nick...must have been travelling at speed cos both are high off the ground after impact!!! :thumbsu: :think:👍

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Hey rbartlett just wondering if you have a list and/or any idea of published books on the both the RFC and it's past players...would be interesting to know and follow up...
Maybe a different Thread if need be to avoid confusion...cheers...:think:👍

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
New podcasts added:
Former Richmond U19s coach and recruiter Noel Bosch

U19s player in the 1960s John Hallowell, who became the editor for World of Sport and creator of those Franco Cozzo commercials

Jenny Foott - Assistant Marketing Manager during Save Our Skins campaign

Francis Bourke - Richmond Immortal

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
1980 premiership secretary, who was also there when Alan Bond was President and knows exactly why the club hit rock bottom financially.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
FYI.
Richmond has launched a new podcast series.
Search 'Rhettrospective' in Spotify , or listen/subscribe here https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=836277

Over coming months will be posting archival interviews and all new interviews conducted during lockdown with former players and officials about the club's history.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
The opinionated David Thorpe rarely does interviews. But when he does ... WOW!
Listen to our recent chat. He was Bulldogs captain in 1973 and by 1974 he was playing in Richmond's 1974 premiership

It may interest BigFooty Richmond members.
I'm digitising the players/coaches/official interviews I've conducted over the last 15 years, into podcast episodes called 'ROAR'.

On SoundCloud it is here: www.soundcloud.com/roarpodcast
On iTunes you can subscribe here: https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/roar-richmond-football-club/id1151412321?mt=2

Former player interviews, currently uploaded are:
Paddy Guinane (2 pt interview)
Neville Crowe (3 pt interview)
Maurice Rioli
Royce Hart
Roy Wright (2 pt interview)
Jack Malcomson
John Chivers
Stephen Parsons
Don Benson
Richard Geary
Noel Carter
Sid Dockendorff
Billy Brown
Brendon Gale
Jim Jess
Dave Cuzens
Bruce Monteath
Craig Gislingham
Max Oppy
Ray Stokes
Joe Murdoch
Warrem Ellam
Brian Taylor *NEW*
Bill Barrot *NEW*

I'll advise when further episodes are up, but putting the details in this original post

You gonna put them on Spotify Rhett?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back