Autopsy Roast and toast round 6 vs Melbourne and changes for West Coast

Best vs Demons

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bolton tackle in the first quarter was a shocker too. The Dee's player fell forward and Bolton made sure he rolled to the side so as to not go in his back. Umps still paid in the back.

We got 10 free kicks in the first 110 minutes, then 9 free kicks in the last 10 minutes when the game was over to help even the ledger.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

images

Sums up game last night to perfection. We were basically the little boy with his fingers in the dike trying to hold back the flood. We conceded 22 more I50s and 17 more scoring shots. Anyone thinking that we're within 5 goals of Melbourne is kidding themselves. If Melbourne capitalised on their chances last night the game would have been over by 1/4 time and we'd have been on the receiving end of a right old belting.

Their inaccuracy is what kept us in the game, but truth be told we were outmatched all over the park and that is an accurate picture of where we are, regardless of whether we had Martin Grimes Lambert playing. However there were some promising signs. Rioli across HB looks to have settled into his new role and finding plenty of the footy and gaining confidence. Gibcus played a great game standing Brown and Weidemann most of the game and keeping them in check as well as getting involved in plenty of the play.

As I've said previously I hope that we've made the call to treat the rest of the season as a development year for the younger players while they've still got the older guys in there for guidance.

Next week against WCE will give us another indication as to where we're at, they have been punching bags for most teams this year so we should get the win against them even though it's in Perth. The changes I'd make for next week

Out: Edwards(managed) Dow(injured) Castagna(omitted) Parker(omitted)
In: Lambert Stack Rioli Jr

I didn’t watch the VFL so perhaps stats aren’t telling the whole story. MRJ had 6 touches but there’s widespread call for his inclusion. He had 6 touches a few weeks ago also. How does 6 touches at VFL level possible earn an AFL call-up?

Just watched the Balta playon call by the cheat umpire,what a disgrace.

Umpires pretty much deprived us of scoring a goal,with a cunning move.

The ole playon tactic,it has haunted our club for years.

Then we see Grundy in the last quarter allowed a week to take his kicks today.

1) He slotted one from inside the centre square once, but…
2) Grundy was allowed his full time to line up from outside 50 today and kicked it 20m.

That’s the problem. Umpires can pick and choose who gets to shoot. And guess who gets the rub of the green, and who doesn’t?
Last night was the first time I heard reserved old Tigerheads yell cheats to the umpires,they have finally given up also.

This umpire s**t is a big issue that the media refuse to take on because they are handcuffed by the AFL,selective free kicks and rule books.

I didn’t watch the VFL so perhaps stats aren’t telling the whole story. MRJ had 6 touches but there’s widespread call for his inclusion. He had 6 touches a few weeks ago also. How does 6 touches at VFL level possible earn an AFL call-up?

There's pressure and then There's MRJ pressure.

I believe game he got 6 a while ago was a pouring wet day and most of the team had a shocker.

This week, against undefeated Casey. His tackling and pressure kept us in it. Was a classic type of performance our smalls used to have 2017 etc. Low disposals bit huge impact

Unfortunately the Eagles have their ‘Grand Final’ this week… nothing else to play for in 2022 except getting up after a woeful performance last week to wreck the Tigers season. They’ll knock us off with 30-14 frees, Kennedy kicking 4 straight, Rioli 3 and Shuey 5 x head high frees.

Then the Eagles won’t fire a shot for 8 matches after this week.

I really don't give a s**t about Melbourne, they're a nothing club propped up by the league. We did it on our own.

That’s largely true. The worst evidence of this was giving Melbourne a Round 1 pick (Brayshaw) as free agency compo for losing Frawley to the Hawks. As if his age/contract justified a Round 1 pick when Brandon Ellis as a dual flag player, 25yo getting a $3m 5-year deal got us end of second round.

Blatant manipulation to prop up some clubs over others.

We don’t need to go into funding Paul Roos, ‘no tanking’ draft penalties except a fine and so on ….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't matter. The umpire has absolutely no right to call play on when he indicated that he was having a shot. The ump f’ed up.

Exactly right. Anyone within ‘their own’ distance range having a shot for goal is entitled to 30-seconds. The umpire took it upon himself to decide Balta was outside goal scoring range, proving he has no idea at all of how far each player can kick the ball, which is an indictment on this umpire’s football knowledge. If it was Cotchin then clearly he was outside range, but Balta was well within his range and the umpire either didn’t know this or they’re told to go via a blanket ‘distance’ rule …. Either way it’s a f**k up.

I look at other small forwards, Ginnivan's 5 goals today, Higgins has been kicking multiple goals, and then I think of Castagna how many bags of goals has he kicked? In 2022 he has kicked 5 goals in 6 games. Some may say he is putting on pressure but not always I say, last night, he did but geez as well as the midfield we need to make some minor changes to our small forward set-up.

As mentioned in a previous post, we have some good young forward talent waiting in the wings> Stack, Cumberland, Clarke and Maurice Junior
Castagna is the luckiest 3 time premiership player in the history of the game. He is poor. Never been much good. Must play for peanuts to free up cap.

Easy fix to this.
If the man on the mark is on or inside 50 it can be deemed a shot on goal.
Man on the mark outside 50? Reverts back to any other mark or free on any other part of the ground.

Doesn’t make sense. If Balta can kick it 65m… which he can… then why be penalised when taking a shot? In this rule Cotchin marks at 49m and can take 30-seconds despite being no chance of getting the distance, Balta marks it 51m out and must kick within a few seconds …. Hmm..

Having said that I hate the rule full stop. Should just be approx 10-seconds, not 30…. and shouldn’t be on a clock - should just be the umpire saying ‘move on’ after approx 10 seconds and player must begin their run-up.

The current rule is like a basketballer being given 20-seconds to take a foul shot … it’s just stupid.

Therein lies the problem ... the number and frequency of rule changes.
Most sports will add a new rule here or there, every five or six years or maybe 10.
Think cricket. Do they continually invent new ways to dismiss a batsman?
We seemingly add three a year and at least one a week before the opening bounce.
Needs to be a moratorium on rule changes. None for five years and give the game some consistency from year to year.
great idea, but not until they get rid of the stand rule

Hopefully Dusty plays, always love to see him play in person. Expecting a s**t show from both sides honestly. You blokes coming off a five day break gives us a chance imo.
What’s the early prognosis for your side this week? Got any more guys coming back?

No doubt the midfield is a problem but I’m not seeing much difference this year.

Maybe it’s a connection problem, I don’t know but our forward line at our best had lots of constant moving parts; it seems very stagnant to me.
Clarke is forwards coach ....tegaue is in charge of offensive ball movement, working alongside mcqualter who's in charge of stoppages

He's also had 17, 19 and 21 this year. He is a manic pressure player and a very good tackler, so that would at least give us something we haven't had for a while.

Why do I feel like we're going to lose the Eagles?
Because we probably will. It all depends on what sort of defensive pressure our guys can apply and for how long. If we do it for the whole game or most of the game (like the Dogs game) we will win. If we do it for only half the game or less (Carlton, St Kilda, Adelaide) we will not.

After last season and 6 rounds into this one, I am no longer confident no matter who our opponents are. We've become easy to play against.

I think Dow has a lot of potential but right now his kicking let’s him down. I’m going to put it down to confidence but if he can rectify it he’ll offer a lot IMO.
He's very hesitant to kick the ball. I reckon the coaches have told him to take the safe option with his kicking and as a result he's not taking the first option and is taking to long to dispose of the ball.

I don't think it's an issue that will hamper him long-term though. Just needs to get more comfortable with the tempo of the game.

Because we probably will. It all depends on what sort of defensive pressure our guys can apply and for how long. If we do it for the whole game or most of the game (like the Dogs game) we will win. If we do it for only half the game or less (Carlton, St Kilda, Adelaide) we will not.

After last season and 6 rounds into this one, I am no longer confident no matter who our opponents are. We've become easy to play against.
We weren't that bad on the weekend.

Back