Autopsy Roast and Toast vs Fremantle Round 19 and changes for Brisbane

Best 5 vs Freo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Saturday night. I reckon our record on Saturday nights there is pretty good
Yeah. On current form though any good record we have against any team at any venue is unfortunately meaningless.

Let's get through this week's torture first.

Jake Aarts (27 disposals, seven tackles, five inside-50s, one goal)

"Was one of our best on the day with 27 possessions and seven tackles. He was in and around the contest and in the thick of things all day, and he finished with a brilliant goal at the end of the game from the boundary."
WarpedExaltedAmericanbadger-max-1mb.gif

Based on VFL report,
Dow played well but don't want to see him again till next year. Needs to bulk up, got towelled last afl game he played playing against a bigger body.

RCD i'd give a crack based on 33disp and 6 clearances. He'll probably stink it up again but you never know. We literally have no midfield. Tell him to get the contested ball. Do it for the fans, hopefully we miss finals and get a decent draft pick.

Sonsie stays in, his ball use is better than anyone on our list. Every touch is immaculate. Reminds me of daicos. Hes got a burst of speed as well, just gets in the right spots. He just strikes me as an accumulater but with elite disposal. You can tell he has urgency to get the ball. Just crafty. Didn't see enough of him at centre clearances and stoppages though but seems to be crafty around stoppages. Will impose himself more with time, hopefully gets a bit stronger.

Now heres where im gonna get torched. I reckon chuck rioli forward, have rioli, bolton, maurice, cumberland as your forwards.
Balta goes back (till jack retires or we find a better forward).
Miller out
Gibcus in.
Baker back, short back.

Rioli was a decent small forward till 2021 where he had no support and we had a s**t year. With bolton, maurice synergy and cumberland's class around him i reckon he might do well. I feel like hes almost too damaging to waste at half back. Short can do that role with the same impact, perhaps slightly less speed off half back.

DOnt get me wrong, rioli is elite off half back when hes on. But so is short and so is baker. Plus we have banks, ralphsmith and others coming on who can play half back.

Are we sure rioli is done as a forward. His pressure up forward with maurcie would be unstoppable.

Based on VFL report,
Dow played well but don't want to see him again till next year. Needs to bulk up, got towelled last afl game he played playing against a bigger body.

RCD i'd give a crack based on 33disp and 6 clearances. He'll probably stink it up again but you never know. We literally have no midfield. Tell him to get the contested ball. Do it for the fans, hopefully we miss finals and get a decent draft pick.

Sonsie stays in, his ball use is better than anyone on our list. Every touch is immaculate. Reminds me of daicos. Hes got a burst of speed as well, just gets in the right spots. He just strikes me as an accumulater but with elite disposal. You can tell he has urgency to get the ball. Just crafty. Didn't see enough of him at centre clearances and stoppages though but seems to be crafty around stoppages. Will impose himself more with time, hopefully gets a bit stronger.

Now heres where im gonna get torched. I reckon chuck rioli forward, have rioli, bolton, maurice, cumberland as your forwards.
Balta goes back (till jack retires or we find a better forward).
Miller out
Gibcus in.
Baker back, short back.

Rioli was a decent small forward till 2021 where he had no support and we had a s**t year. With bolton, maurice synergy and cumberland's class around him i reckon he might do well. I feel like hes almost too damaging to waste at half back. Short can do that role with the same impact, perhaps slightly less speed off half back.

DOnt get me wrong, rioli is elite off half back when hes on. But so is short and so is baker. Plus we have banks, ralphsmith and others coming on who can play half back.

Are we sure rioli is done as a forward. His pressure up forward with maurcie would be unstoppable.
I reckon that’s a really accurate, fair evaluation and plan of attack.. really like it

I’d have Ross over RCD in the middle tho and I’d keep Miller in, he’s better and more developed than Gibcus atm

Don’t lose much with Drioli going forward cos Baker and Short are B+/A grade small rebounding defenders

This is just for the rest of this year tho

I reckon Dow will be very good once he puts on another few kg of muscle

Now that Dan Rioli is seemingly back to his best and fully confident, I'd love to again see what he can do as a forward, perhaps a high half forward running up and down the wings, with stints pressuring deep forward.

Baker should stay back with small stints in the centre.

If we can get fit and somehow make the 8, I'd love to see this side trot out...

B/ Grimes, Tarrant, Broad
HB/ Vlastuin, Balta, Baker
C/ McIntosh, Cotchin, Pickett
HF/ Bolton, Riewoldt, D. Rioli
F/ Martin, Lynch, Cumberland

R/ Nankervis, Prestia, Graham

Int/ Short, Ross, Sonsie, Stack

SUB: Edwards

emg/ Soldo, Ralphsmith, Miller

That's probably our best 22, Edwards still arguably deserves a spot as he can find the ball more at other parts of the ground than Cumberland, but the dropoff has just been too big, so sub for mine. Cumberland is goal hungry and we need someone like that in the side. Stack cause FFS I just want him to get some games rather than us buggering him off.

Now that Dan Rioli is seemingly back to his best and fully confident, I'd love to again see what he can do as a forward, perhaps a high half forward running up and down the wings, with stints pressuring deep forward.

Baker should stay back with small stints in the centre.

If we can get fit and somehow make the 8, I'd love to see this side trot out...

B/ Grimes, Tarrant, Broad
HB/ Vlastuin, Balta, Baker
C/ McIntosh, Cotchin, Pickett
HF/ Bolton, Riewoldt, D. Rioli
F/ Martin, Lynch, Cumberland

R/ Nankervis, Prestia, Graham

Int/ Short, Ross, Sonsie, Stack

SUB: Edwards

emg/ Soldo, Ralphsmith, Miller

That's probably our best 22, Edwards still arguably deserves a spot as he can find the ball more at other parts of the ground than Cumberland, but the dropoff has just been too big, so sub for mine. Cumberland is goal hungry and we need someone like that in the side. Stack cause FFS I just want him to get some games rather than us buggering him off.
Agree. 2017 Rioli and 2017 Martin please.

Please forgive the intrusion and a very random question. I think the last couple of draws I attended, in lieu of playing the winning club's theme song, they played "No second prize" by Jimmy Barnes, albeit they were both at the MCG. Just wondering if any Tiges fans at the match could confirm what (if anything) was played after the final siren.
All I could hear was the sound of our three recent cups clanking together. It continues to drown out any other droning blather.

D. Rioli up forward is a hard no from me.

I am for Short going back but I want to see Baker in the midfield. If Baker actually did go back I wouldn't mind Baker, Short and Rioli all playuing back at same time , I feel like with our current set up of Broad, Vlastin, Taz, Grimes , Gibcus/Miller we are to slow down back.

Could Broad play wing? Vlas in a 3rd tall forward role?

Seems radical but our defence has been poor all year and with the current group we rely far to much on intercept style which is why teams won't allow us to have a loose back which is limiting the output and impact Vlas and Grimes have in particular.

Short, Taz, Grimes
Rioli, Balta/Gibcus, Baker
Broad, Prestia, Kmac
Vlastin, Lynch, Bolton
Rioli Lynch Cumberland
Soldo, Cotch, Sonsie
Edwards, Stack, Gibcus/Balta, Graham/Pickett
Sub - Graham/Pickett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D. Rioli up forward is a hard no from me.

I am for Short going back but I want to see Baker in the midfield. If Baker actually did go back I wouldn't mind Baker, Short and Rioli all playuing back at same time , I feel like with our current set up of Broad, Vlastin, Taz, Grimes , Gibcus/Miller we are to slow down back.

Could Broad play wing? Vlas in a 3rd tall forward role?

Seems radical but our defence has been poor all year and with the current group we rely far to much on intercept style which is why teams won't allow us to have a loose back which is limiting the output and impact Vlas and Grimes have in particular.

Short, Taz, Grimes
Rioli, Balta/Gibcus, Baker
Broad, Prestia, Kmac
Vlastin, Lynch, Bolton
Rioli Lynch Cumberland
Soldo, Cotch, Sonsie
Edwards, Stack, Gibcus/Balta, Graham/Pickett
Sub - Graham/Pickett
We'll be bloody hard to beat with two Lynch's !!!!
:cool::cool::cool:

Anyone else concerned with Pickett? Has been dismal the last few games. Unless there's underlying issues effecting his form maybe we could try swinging him forward to freshen him up. Wouldn't trust him down back, liable to give away too many frees.
Not really from my point of view, he's had a pretty good year and would be top 10 in the BnF (closer to 5 than 10) and that is with him having missed 3-4 games. I think wing/midfield is his best position as you note I don't like the idea of him down back.

He was a little quite on Friday but he wasn't awful, he is still hitting packs hard, tackling hard and supports both attack and defence with his hard running.

In terms of changes for Sunday I think it'll be Lynch and MRJ in for Miller and Ralphsmith. Dimma said in his presser that Miller isn't 100% to play, that could be smoke and mirrors because of the sub thing which he was asked about. Balta goes back to cover Miller as does Baker to cover Ralphsmith. I like Ralphsmith but I think he's better as a half-forward or on the wing. Would keep him as the sub this week with Maurice junior in for him and playing forward.

Please forgive the intrusion and a very random question. I think the last couple of draws I attended, in lieu of playing the winning club's theme song, they played "No second prize" by Jimmy Barnes, albeit they were both at the MCG. Just wondering if any Tiges fans at the match could confirm what (if anything) was played after the final siren.

Could well be the Demons theme song for the 2022 season.

I'm not quite sure how to describe this properly...

But, is it just me or do we not "move" well nor kick well in general? Like our guys just aren't very "explosive" for AFL footballers.

Whenever I watch other teams, I'm amazed at how, for example, their midfielders will one-touch pick up the ball off the ground from a centre clearance, take a few explosive strides at speed, then pump a long kick into 50.

When it's our guys, we fumble trying to pick it up, we seem to be tripping over ourselves as we run, and when we kick it's always as if we're under pressure that isn't there, it's a hack kick that gets skied, or goes 20 metres shorter than it should, it's never just this smooth booming drop punt.

I dunno if it's just that thing where you see your own players differently to those from other teams, but when I watch us run/kick I feel tight in the hammies, I just feel like a mistake is coming, like we're gonna fall over, not kick the ball properly etc.

Does anyone else feel like this when watching us compared to other teams?

Anyway...

I'm not quite sure how to describe this properly...

But, is it just me or do we not "move" well nor kick well in general? Like our guys just aren't very "explosive" for AFL footballers.

Whenever I watch other teams, I'm amazed at how, for example, their midfielders will one-touch pick up the ball off the ground from a centre clearance, take a few explosive strides at speed, then pump a long kick into 50.

When it's our guys, we fumble trying to pick it up, we seem to be tripping over ourselves as we run, and when we kick it's always as if we're under pressure that isn't there, it's a hack kick that gets skied, or goes 20 metres shorter than it should, it's never just this smooth booming drop punt.

I dunno if it's just that thing where you see your own players differently to those from other teams, but when I watch us run/kick I feel tight in the hammies, I just feel like a mistake is coming, like we're gonna fall over, not kick the ball properly etc.

Does anyone else feel like this when watching us compared to other teams?

Anyway...

Even in our flag years we were a bit like that.

Even in our flag years we were a bit like that.
Yeah agreed, we don't have many "normal" movers hey, if that makes sense. We always look fumbly and like we're moving in mud.

Not sure why that is. Is the grass too thick at punt road oval or something, giving the players heavy legs?

I hate bringing them up but you look at the Bombers, they move really quickly.

Balta trained forward, so will probably be there in the seniors meaning Soldo is out. He did train back last week though, so who knows?

Grimes, Baker and Bolton all did nothing at training, but are probably just being managed to get them up for Sunday. Grimes the only one that is a small chance to miss imo. Can't remember what the injury is, but Dimma mentioned it today in his presser.

Not really from my point of view, he's had a pretty good year and would be top 10 in the BnF (closer to 5 than 10) and that is with him having missed 3-4 games. I think wing/midfield is his best position as you note I don't like the idea of him down back.

He was a little quite on Friday but he wasn't awful, he is still hitting packs hard, tackling hard and supports both attack and defence with his hard running.

In terms of changes for Sunday I think it'll be Lynch and MRJ in for Miller and Ralphsmith. Dimma said in his presser that Miller isn't 100% to play, that could be smoke and mirrors because of the sub thing which he was asked about. Balta goes back to cover Miller as does Baker to cover Ralphsmith. I like Ralphsmith but I think he's better as a half-forward or on the wing. Would keep him as the sub this week with Maurice junior in for him and playing forward.
Hes been getting beaten on the wings last few games, something I havent seen before. Only suggest we give him a spell up forward, he looks rooted from the first bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back