Autopsy Roast and toast vs Geelong and changes for West Coast

Best

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We were 17 points up and then they suddenly had loose running players ahead of the ball as we were too top heavy imo.

But the loose players probably came from our fatigue of clawing a 52 point swing in a hitly contested game, not because Soldo was subbed on in the first quarter.

Also, considering how easily Blicavs and Stanley were giving clean access to their mids, it makes sesne for us to use a genuine ruck instead of Jack as a chop out.

I put this up here a few weeks ago. Stewart has form.

Here he is doing a ‘Hawkins’ and trying to shove Josh Treacy into an oncoming freight train.

Lowlife tactics. Not unexpected though.
View attachment 1432840

They do it all the time. Look at how Soldo did his knee. AFL does nothing about it. They’re a protected species.

But the loose players probably came from our fatigue of clawing a 52 point swing in a hitly contested game, not because Soldo was subbed on in the first quarter.

Also, considering how easily Blicavs and Stanley were giving clean access to their mids, it makes sesne for us to use a genuine ruck instead of Jack as a chop out.
Yes we missed Balta's versatility as well, he can play anywhere really.

The difference is a lot of oppo fans were going into bat for Pickett.
nobody is defending Stewart.
Do you reckon that would have been the case had Moore been knocked out like Prestia was?

I'm actually not defending him either. I'm defending the action of attacking the contest/opponent by going in hard and making the other player earn the knock on/disposal. That is what good hard footy is all about, no backwards steps, when it's your turn to go you do so. As you said when it's done legally, like how Pickett appeared to do, it gets roundly applauded by everyone and when it results in what happened today, everyone knows that a suspension is going to be handed out, but I'd hate to see the game turned into non contact circle work. We can still have tough hard footy and when players cross the line they get dealt with.

Yes we missed Balta's versatility as well, he can play anywhere really.
Yeah. That was the problem in the end. We're currently wedged into playing Balta or Soldo as our 2nd ruck, and I personally think that Soldo is either your main ruck, or he doesn't play at all, at least for the short term. Currently doesn't have a weapon to be used around the grounds. Luke Jackson can play as a KPF, Blicavs can play wing/KPF/KPD, Lobb is a KPF, Marshall and Ryder both comfortable playing as a KPF, Nash at Hawthorn is a big bodied mid, etc.

Soldo isn't comfortable playing as a KPF, and you can't exactly play Nank there either, which was why I thought that Ryan might be a wild card in the next couple of weeks depending on Balta. Has had a strong block of VFL games, and is a natural ruck/KPF. More suited to the 2nd ruck role than Soldo.

Agree he chose to bump.
Agree he has a duty of care.
Agree Prestia didn't take possession, hence Stewart choosing to bump instead of tackle.
Disagree he has time to ease up and would we expect any of our players to ease up in a contest

Prestia and Stewart are in the play, the ball bounces on its end between the 2 of them and goes straight up forcing Prestia to jump to knock it on. Stewart is coming in from the opposite direction to put pressure on, like we'd expect our players to do in the same circumstance. When Prestia knocks the ball on Stewart within a couple of metres running at speed, near on impossible to stop and if he doesn't brace he possibly takes both him and Prestia out. IMO hos shoulder is what catches Prestia high and does the damage and he'll rightly get rubbed out for around a month as a result.

FWGSR4AVsAEVPXv

Clearly the shoulder and not the elbow that does the damage.

That shot shows how horrendous that bumping action was. No hip therefore no chance of contact other than to the upper body or head. This is extremely dangerous and the AFL should de-register players who bump like this until they can demonstrate proper hip first technique.

Yeah. That was the problem in the end. We're currently wedged into playing Balta or Soldo as our 2nd ruck, and I personally think that Soldo is either your main ruck, or he doesn't play at all, at least for the short term. Currently doesn't have a weapon to be used around the grounds. Luke Jackson can play as a KPF, Blicavs can play wing/KPF/KPD, Lobb is a KPF, Marshall and Ryder both comfortable playing as a KPF, Nash at Hawthorn is a big bodied mid, etc.

Soldo isn't comfortable playing as a KPF, and you can't exactly play Nank there either, which was why I thought that Ryan might be a wild card in the next couple of weeks depending on Balta. Has had a strong block of VFL games, and is a natural ruck/KPF. More suited to the 2nd ruck role than Soldo.
Soldo isn't comfortable playing anywhere at the moment, Chol would have been handy today.

100% agree.

Fact is neither Soldo or Nankervis are anything other than primary ruckman, which makes either one of them pretty useless when the other is in the ruck. They are both slow and lumbering, and neither can play forward well. Nank has some utility dropping in the defensive hole, but they don't work together for team balance. It should be Nankervis and Balta chopping out, once everyone is fit.

Do you reckon that would have been the case had Moore been knocked out like Prestia was?

I'm actually not defending him either. I'm defending the action of attacking the contest/opponent by going in hard and making the other player earn the knock on/disposal. That is what good hard footy is all about, no backwards steps, when it's your turn to go you do so. As you said when it's done legally, like how Pickett appeared to do, it gets roundly applauded by everyone and when it results in what happened today, everyone knows that a suspension is going to be handed out, but I'd hate to see the game turned into non contact circle work. We can still have tough hard footy and when players cross the line they get dealt with.
I have a question, say Prestia had just kicked the ball instead of knocking it on. Would you still have the same dog s**t opinion? If the answer is yes and you still see no difference between the Pickett incident, then that closes the book on the matter because you are just being a bad faith grifter.

Here is a big hint about why the Pickett incident is totally different. If Pickett had not made head high contact, the bump would have been legal. If Stewart had not made head high contact, a free kick would still have been paid for an off the ball hit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree.

Fact is neither Soldo or Nankervis are anything other than primary ruckman, which makes either one of them pretty useless when the other is in the ruck. They are both slow and lumbering, and neither can play forward well. Nank has some utility dropping in the defensive hole, but they don't work together for team balance. It should be Nankervis and Balta chopping out, once everyone is fit.

While I agree with this, I just think Balta is more suited playing KPD, but at the same time, I detest the idea of having a KPD as the 2nd ruck. Think when we tried it last year or the year before, there was just too much instability when Balta came out of defence, and we needed someone to pick up Balta's man.

No Prestia
No Cotchin
No Lambert
No Balta

And we can still go toe to toe with the best.

We are balls deep in this premiership race. I’m booking a holidays for first week of October.
Geelong aren't even close to the best. They've been pretenders for 11 years now

While I agree with this, I just think Balta is more suited playing KPD, but at the same time, I detest the idea of having a KPD as the 2nd ruck. Think when we tried it last year or the year before, there was just too much instability when Balta came out of defence, and we needed someone to pick up Balta's man.
There's no realistic other option right now. It's better than Soldo, who has no utility when he's not in the ruck. We are sacrificing a role just to give Nank a chop out.

Until someone like Samson Ryan is ready for AFL KPF/2nd ruck, we are kind of stuck.

I've watched the footage numerous times hence having the opinion that I do.

The game is played at high speed, with players coming at each other from 360 degrees and collisions like this happen from time to time. Stewart didn't go in swinging an arm. He tucked his arm in and made sure Prestia didn't get an easy knock on. I've seen Pickett in recent times deliver similar types of bumps and he, like Stewart will be, was rubbed out for making high contact. The difference is that Pickett didn't KO the opponent. I can understand the angst among my fellow Tigers as nobody likes to see our players getting hurt in circumstances like that, but it's the nature of the game that they play and tonights game was played with the highest intensity I've seen in a H&A game for a long time. At the end of the day Stewart will cop his whack from the tribunal and you'd expect at minimum 3 weeks, possibly 4 will be the penalty.

Instead of watching the slow motion version, watch the full speed version here where Stewart is in position to tackle Prestia if he takes possession and it's only when Prestia elects to knock the ball on that he makes the decision to bump.

If one of our players was to do the same thing that Stewart did tonight, I'd bet my last dollar that every one of us would be defending it, in fact you only have to go back to when Pickett got rubbed out for bumping Moore against Hawthorn. We all called it good tough play, but when an opponent does it to one of ours they're dirty snipers.
Stewart left the ground, angled his shoulder to make high contact, executed said contact. Not the same. Marlion never left the ground as his intention was to make a legal bump. He'll get in excess of 4 weeks. There's a very distinct difference.
I like hard footy but you're wrong if you think most of us would condone one of our players willfully taking out someones head.

Stewart left the ground, angled his shoulder to make high contact, executed said contact. Not the same. Marlion never left the ground as his intention was to make a legal bump. He'll get in excess of 4 weeks. There's a very distinct difference.

Marlion’s bump was hip first too. Absolute perfect bumping technique, any head contact he made was not due to a bad technique. Stewart’s technique here was horrendous quite apart from the fact he knows bumping in that instance is outside the laws of the game and would attract a free kick downfield.

You actually are defending him.
that’s ok if you believe it.
but elbow or shoulder it was a s**t act.

Geelong carrying on like pork chops after the game shows where they are, they know they are lucky and got away with another one.

Will get found out in the finals again.

Someone call dickhead dwayne on Monday and hammer him.
Their club is legitimately pathetic. No wonder we crushed them so many times

Back