Autopsy Roast and toast vs Geelong and changes for West Coast

Best

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The main aim of a send off rule is for oppos to play a man down. You sub for your injured player, they play with 17. It’s not about ability or skill of particular players - it’s about numerical disadvantage which is huge. Pretty well every contact sport does it.

I think i would be in favour of a sendoff rule for reportable offences. Wouldn;t have changed much tonight though as the umpires didn't make a report on the spot, call a free kick, or even stop play as the player & the medical staff attending to his very unsettling behaviour were in the vicinity

I thought the incident would have sat well in the 1989 Grand Final. It was a half chance to get a cheap shot to help impact "winning"

To be honest I felt quite happy walking out of the G after the game. We pulled back a 6 goal deficit and turned it into a 3 goal lead early in the last qtr before running out of a bit of gas. There's hardly any other teams in the comp that can comeback against Geelong like that. Liked the games of Ross (he will make it if left in the guts), Kmac, Pickett (2nd half) Tarrant (2nd half) Bolton, Baker, Grimes, Vlaustin and a few others. Dusty is an interesting one. I feel he's Cleary lost a yard of pace, more obvious being live at the game then watching on tv but still he's so dangerous close to goal. I think the time has come to park him in the forward line permanently unless we need him in the middle for those break glass moments. The Cats were at full strength except for Dangerfield. We had Balta, Cotch, Lambo missing plus Meatball off for most of the game. With our youngsters in MRJ, Gibcus, Clarke, Ralphsmith, we need to be very careful to keep them fresh from burnout but play them as much as we possibly can. That's where blokes like Stack step up from the VFL to fill the breach. And I'll have one final comment on Shane Edwards. Get him to 300 games because at the end of the day he's a Richmond immortal and he will go out with that legacy of being an integral part of our dynasty in the club's history. Champion player but most importantly a champion bloke. Onwards and upwards. Go Tiges 🐯

You actually are defending him.
that’s ok if you believe it.
but elbow or shoulder it was a s**t act.
It's the action of players going hard at the contest/opponent that I'm defending, not the outcome of Stewarts action which was poor.

How do we laud what Stack did to Viney, but then criticise what Stewart did to Prestia? When the only difference is that Viney did an AC joint, while Prestia got knocked out. It's that act of player against player that makes our game great, sometimes it goes wrong, but most of the times it doesn't.

It's the action of players going hard at the contest/opponent that I'm defending, not the outcome of Stewarts action which was poor.

How do we laud what Stack did to Viney, but then criticise what Stewart did to Prestia? When the only difference is that Viney did an AC joint, while Prestia got knocked out. It's that act of player against player that makes our game great, sometimes it goes wrong, but most of the times it doesn't.
Stack was within the rules.

I think i would be in favour of a sendoff rule for reportable offences. Wouldn;t have changed much tonight though as the umpires didn't make a report on the spot, call a free kick, or even stop play as the player & the medical staff attending to his very unsettling behaviour were in the vicinity

I thought the incident would have sat well in the 1989 Grand Final. It was a half chance to get a cheap shot to help impact "winning"
It’s called VAR - any concussion video reviewed and player sent off. It’s not hard - and making 17 vs 18 would have had huge ramifications - especially as Stewart had a huge game too.

And they did give a free for high contact. It was noted and Graham took the kick.

Screen-Shot-2018-02-15-at-11.11.03-AM-600x306.png

😂 AFL site of course in full swing to try soften the suspension , have one guess what the headline is “I’ve just made a horrible error” like * off , error my arse Stewart you meant to put Prestia in la la land you sniping campaigner.
Sounds like typical dirt bag crim “ oh yeah I didn’t mean to shoot him but my finger just pulled the trigger “
How ******* dumb are people who believe the old “ oh I didn’t mean it “ bolox

And it's not even a direct quote, it's something his coach made up. AFL is actually becoming so dumb that it's embarrassing to be a fan of it.

I get what your saying but your making odd comparisons with both Pickett and Stack as they were football actions; a shepherd for a team mate and a bump on a player holding the ball. Stewart decided to ignore the ball and bump Prestia just to lay a hit on an important player (obviously didn’t mean to knock him out). There’s a big difference between going hard with the ball in play as compared to going the man.

If the roles were reversed I’d be saying the same thing, poor action and deserves a month off.

I am happy for players to attack a contest as hard as they always had. The difference here is that, again, even if Stewart did not hit Prestia high, it would have been a free kick to Prestia.

So in essence, what you are defending is players going in hard to contests illegally.
He doesn't go into the contest illegally, the result of his action by making high contact is illegal, unless you want to remove tackling/bumping altogether.
You've got rocks in your head. Stewart knew exactly what he was doing when he chose to bump Prestia. He knew he didn't have to 1. bump him, 2. tackle him (not sure why you think this was ever an option), 3. he knew he could easily change direction and start running the other way. Despite all that he chose to bump. Im certain he didn't intend to knock Prestia out but thats what happened.

You say the speed of the game is fast and 360 and all that other bullshit but guess what these players are the best of the best and they have plenty of time to react in a split second. Stewart had more than a split second and still chose to bump so spare me the bullshit.
Agree he knew exactly what he was doing when he chose to bump Prestia, it's exactly the same thing our players have in mind when they enter a contest, if they can't get possession either tackle or put the opponent under physical pressure. Most of the time it results in no penalty, however if we don't execute it properly by tackling/bumping too high it results in a free against and in circumstances like this it would end up in a suspension.
At no point did he look like he was priming for a tackle and since it was a late act he actually has more time than usual to position himself for one. Instead, well, it's right there for everyone to see. Almost everyone.
Right at the very moment the ball bounces on it's end and goes above Prestias head you can see Stewart is in position to tackle it Prestia takes possession and he moves in to do so, when Prestia knocks the ball on there is a split second to brace for impact. Unfortunately he catches Prestia in the head with his shoulder and will pay the price at the MRO/tribunal.

But once again I'm not defending Stewart, I'm defending the players ability to play the game in a physical manner, because if we think the game is s**t to watch now, just imagine how s**t it will become when players can't put the opposition under physical pressure through tackling or bumping or simply fighting for the ball when it's on the ground.

It’s called VAR - any concussion video reviewed and player sent off. It’s not hard - and making 17 vs 18 would have had huge ramifications - especially as Stewart had a huge game too.

And they did give a free for high contact. It was noted and Graham took the kick.
Would they play with 17 or just have 21 players instead of 22? Not sure an AFL game would be at all competitive with 18 vs 17 on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't go into the contest illegally, the result of his action by making high contact is illegal, unless you want to remove tackling/bumping altogether.

Agree he knew exactly what he was doing when he chose to bump Prestia, it's exactly the same thing our players have in mind when they enter a contest, if they can't get possession either tackle or put the opponent under physical pressure. Most of the time it results in no penalty, however if we don't execute it properly by tackling/bumping too high it results in a free against and in circumstances like this it would end up in a suspension.

Right at the very moment the ball bounces on it's end and goes above Prestias head you can see Stewart is in position to tackle it Prestia takes possession and he moves in to do so, when Prestia knocks the ball on there is a split second to brace for impact. Unfortunately he catches Prestia in the head with his shoulder and will pay the price at the MRO/tribunal.

But once again I'm not defending Stewart, I'm defending the players ability to play the game in a physical manner, because if we think the game is s**t to watch now, just imagine how s**t it will become when players can't put the opposition under physical pressure through tackling or bumping or simply fighting for the ball when it's on the ground.
That's completely false.
1656168631301.png
At no point does he have his left arm anywhere but by his side. Here the ball is tapped on and almost in another players hands. Stewart's arm is clearly curled into a bump position.

I get what your saying but your making odd comparisons with both Pickett and Stack as they were football actions; a shepherd for a team mate and a bump on a player holding the ball. Stewart decided to ignore the ball and bump Prestia just to lay a hit on an important player (obviously didn’t mean to knock him out). There’s a big difference between going hard with the ball in play as compared to going the man.

If the roles were reversed I’d be saying the same thing, poor action and deserves a month off.
When Stewart moves towards Prestia he doesn't know if Prestia is going to take possession or not, and if he stands back and waits to see if he does or not by then it's too late as someone with Prestias ability in tight is likely to get a clean disposal off before Stewart can impact so he acts immediately once the ball bounces in between them. It's the same with when Stack got Viney, when Stack started to head towards Viney he wasn't in possession, but by time Stack got there he has gained possession yet Stack chose to bump instead of tackle and unlike Stewart was fortunate that contact was made to Vineys shoulder rather than getting him high had he arrived a split second later.

We were 17 points up and then they suddenly had loose running players ahead of the ball as we were too top heavy imo.
We'd outscored them by 52 from 35 down. We were gassed.

Geelongs game plan:
1. Block players from contests
2. Push players under the ball
3. Take key players out in first quarter
4. Flop
5. Throw
6. Act like little bitches
7. Get sucked off by umpires
8. Head home to sea side shantytown
All the characteristics of their grub of a coach

We were 17 points up and then they suddenly had loose running players ahead of the ball as we were too top heavy imo.
When Geelong gets behind in games they basically play a bit of Russian roulette. Players stay forward of the ball and don’t go to contest that they usually would in hope that the ball spills their way and they’re out. The Collingwood game earlier in the year is a good example of it. Just so happened that it came off a couple of times against us in the last.

That's completely false.
View attachment 1432899
At no point does he have his left arm anywhere but by his side. Here the ball is tapped on and almost in another players hands. Stewart's arm is clearly curled into a bump position.
1656168992798.png

Moment Prestia makes contact with the ball, Stewart has both arms by his side.

1656169108270.png

Stewart makes contact. Bottom left corner, both shots show 2 seconds on the clip, game clock shows 1 second difference. Had Prestia taken possession Stewart wraps him up in a tackle most likely, but because Prestia knocked it on he braced for contact and executed a poor bump resulting in Prestia being knocked out and Stewart getting weeks at the MRO/Tribunal.

As I've said previously I've got no issue with Stewart attacking the contest/opponent, the result is the action is the problem.

Would they play with 17 or just have 21 players instead of 22? Not sure an AFL game would be at all competitive with 18 vs 17 on the field.
I guess we’ll never know re 17-18 - but I suspect it would still be competitive. Basically spare defender for one team and not the other. It certainly is competitive in soccer with teams fighting back - and NHL and Rugby have periods of outnumber in a game too. I see your point though. Maybe you drop a rotation from the bench instead as you suggest?

However you can argue that there should be a huge punishment for an egregious act - as this was. It’s cost us the game and potentially top four really. If you want to try and win that way, then you roll the dice. But to have the bloke who did the act basically go on and be close to BOG is just an insult. He may miss weeks, but that’s no justice to us.

Stack was within the rules.
Unless they've changed the rules, Stewarts attack on the contest with Prestia was also within the rules, the result of the contact isn't.

Chin up boy's and girls hard loss to take , but we need to push forward 💪 hopefully gives the boys more ammunition to keep kicking on and doesn't have a opposite affect.We need to get Cotch ,Balta ,Lambert ,Prestia back on the ground injuries will be the reason that will stop us this year I fear that. Cats through everything at this game if that's the best they got they don't fear me one bit I'm positive after that game.

Gibcus needs a rest understandably get Miller in and if Cumberland or Stack perform tomorrow one replaces Clarke who's had a taste.

Last edited:
after the dust has settled, I have a few points to make..........
1) very proud of your boys tonight, they were super and if we play like this we are a genuine chance to do something good come finals.
2) the game was a cracking game that was spoilt by a hit that was very Geelong like.
3) too many things went against us tonight and we still nearly got up and won it. First time in a long time where we showed signs of our GF FORM.
4) I hate Geelong. period.
5) rules are still s**t.
6)I have belief now we can go the distance.

Chin up boy's and girls hard loss to take , but we need to push forward 💪 hopefully gives the boys more ammunition to keep kicking on.We need to get Cotch ,Balta ,Lambert ,Prestia back on the ground injuries will be the reason that will stop us this year I fear that.Cats through everything at this game if that's the best they got they don't fear me one bit.

Gibcus needs a rest understandably get Miller in and if Cumberland or Stack perform tomorrow one replaces Clarke who's had a taste.
Would love nothing more than our VFL side make a statement on behalf our AFL boys today and smash Cats in the VFL tomorrow.

Back