Autopsy Roast and toast vs Geelong and changes for West Coast

Best

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would they play with 17 or just have 21 players instead of 22? Not sure an AFL game would be at all competitive with 18 vs 17 on the field.
If it was 17 V 18 you can guarantee it will never happen again.
I would love to see if it was one of the monkeys at afl house amd it was their son on the receiving end, like prestia was, what the result would be for the offender like stewart.
The face it wasnt reported on the spot shows the umpires have now idea how to officiate or what the rules are. If you havent played the game you umpire the best was you can - take a guess because you have NFI.

View attachment 1432901

Moment Prestia makes contact with the ball, Stewart has both arms by his side.

View attachment 1432902

Stewart makes contact. Bottom left corner, both shots show 2 seconds on the clip, game clock shows 1 second difference. Had Prestia taken possession Stewart wraps him up in a tackle most likely, but because Prestia knocked it on he braced for contact and executed a poor bump resulting in Prestia being knocked out and Stewart getting weeks at the MRO/Tribunal.

As I've said previously I've got no issue with Stewart attacking the contest/opponent, the result is the action is the problem.
Hes hasn't even reacted to the play in that first shot. Which nicely frames Prestia disposing of the ball. So from that point, after hes knocked the ball on Stewart chooses to curl up and smash him. Cheers for providing further evidence.

It's the action of players going hard at the contest/opponent that I'm defending, not the outcome of Stewarts action which was poor.

How do we laud what Stack did to Viney, but then criticise what Stewart did to Prestia? When the only difference is that Viney did an AC joint, while Prestia got knocked out. It's that act of player against player that makes our game great, sometimes it goes wrong, but most of the times it doesn't.

There was no contest in this situation , The ball had left prestia and Stewart actually went the man when there was no longer a contest and He himself knew it.

Not sure what you are actually arguing here unless you have vision that we have not seen

That's completely false.
View attachment 1432899
At no point does he have his left arm anywhere but by his side. Here the ball is tapped on and almost in another players hands. Stewart's arm is clearly curled into a bump position.
100% Agrees

1656168631301-png.1432899

Another thing to take notice in this very good picture and would be even better if it was slight agead of this is that there are 5 players with 4 watching the ball and only 1 looking directly at the player he is intending to knock into next week

Stewart is a 192cm 90kgs man going at pace and is 100% intending to go the man and not a contest

100% Agrees

1656168631301-png.1432899

Another thing to take notice in this very good picture and would be even better if it was slight agead of this is that there are 5 players with 4 watching the ball and only 1 looking directly at the player he is intending to knock into next week

Stewart is a 192cm 90kgs man going at pace and is 100% intending to go the man and not a contest
Heres stewarts comments direct from the afl app.

When I spoke to him post-game, he said 'I've just made a horrible error and I feel terrible about it. I ran past the ball and I chose to bump, I didn't mean to do it but gee it was terrible execution and I'm going to pay the price for it'.

He took him out intentionaly.

In a court of law - intention to cause grievest bodly harm is a crime.

If the afl is serious about protecting the players head stewart should get 12 weeks or it should immediately be refered to the law as a criminal offence for the courts to deal with it.

When I spoke to him post-game, he said 'I've just made a horrible error and I feel terrible about it. I ran past the ball and I chose to bump, I didn't mean to do it but gee it was terrible execution and I'm going to pay the price for it'.
So with the ball no longer in the area , What was he intending to do ?

His intention was clearly to hit Prestia hard enough to take him out of the game physically but not to concuss him as that would create a issue
I wonder if Prestia had broken a rib would stewart have felt "As Bad"
Doubt it

He doesn't go into the contest illegally, the result of his action by making high contact is illegal, unless you want to remove tackling/bumping altogether.

Agree he knew exactly what he was doing when he chose to bump Prestia, it's exactly the same thing our players have in mind when they enter a contest, if they can't get possession either tackle or put the opponent under physical pressure. Most of the time it results in no penalty, however if we don't execute it properly by tackling/bumping too high it results in a free against and in circumstances like this it would end up in a suspension.

Right at the very moment the ball bounces on it's end and goes above Prestias head you can see Stewart is in position to tackle it Prestia takes possession and he moves in to do so, when Prestia knocks the ball on there is a split second to brace for impact. Unfortunately he catches Prestia in the head with his shoulder and will pay the price at the MRO/tribunal.

But once again I'm not defending Stewart, I'm defending the players ability to play the game in a physical manner, because if we think the game is s**t to watch now, just imagine how s**t it will become when players can't put the opposition under physical pressure through tackling or bumping or simply fighting for the ball when it's on the ground.

Great breakdown imo. All players toe a fine line when pressuring opponents away from the contest. Its a part of the game, one that makes it better in my opinion. Stewart F'd up, and he's going to get a holiday for it. Its not fair that he gets to play the game out, and Prestia doesn't. But red carding players for being clumsy isn't the way. Mebbe for cases like Gaff and Hall where its basically assault, but not for attempts at body contact that go high.

So with the ball no longer in the area , What was he intending to do ?

His intention was clearly to hit Prestia hard enough to take him out of the game physically but not to concuss him as that would create a issue
I wonder if Prestia had broken a rib would stewart have felt "As Bad"
Doubt it
So what are the ethics here of stewart. No intention to play the game - the only intentionis to target the individual..
If the afl had no cause for concern for a players safety and well being then this game is beyond redemption if stewart does not get suspended for 12 weeks.

So what are the ethics here of stewart. No intention to play the game - the only intentionis to target the individual..
If the afl had no cause for concern for a players safety and well being then this game is beyond redemption if stewart does not get suspended for 12 weeks.

They care when they want to they lick and chose .
Make no mistake the ******* coach brother works at AFL now , there *******h football op manager or whatever the * he is Hocking the flog worked with AFL last year , you have all backwater media saying the he’s a good bloke tripe abd he will get about 3-4 weeks .
AFL is an amateur run boys club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course he has a duty of care and in this instance he has failed to do so and he'll cop a few weeks on the side line as a result. My point is that this game is unique in that we have players who attack the ball/contest at speed from 360 degrees and need to make split second decisions as to whether they bump or tackle, none are going to last very long at the highest level if they opt to avoid contact and just let the opposition have an easy touch. This board is littered with posts where our own players crucified because they 'shirked' contact and wouldn't put their bodies on the line when they should have and there are plenty where our own are celebrated for doing similar to what Stewart did if not worse (see Vickery clocking Cox and Turner laying out O'Donnell as 2 examples)

As I mentioned earlier Marlion Pickett was lauded for his bump on Moore against Hawthorn and we all cried foul when he was suspended for it. For mine we can't have it both ways, we can't expect our players to go hard at the opponent/contest and then get upset when the opposition does the same to us.
Not easy having a dissenting view on this board RT, respect for standing your ground and I get what you mean.

Thought the same, felt like Sydney all over again
The better side lost both times
Dusty missed cross the body sodas in the 4th quarter of both. Not one to pot the GOAT but a spade is a spade and those two had gone through the great man would ave had us top4.

Yeah. That was the problem in the end. We're currently wedged into playing Balta or Soldo as our 2nd ruck, and I personally think that Soldo is either your main ruck, or he doesn't play at all, at least for the short term. Currently doesn't have a weapon to be used around the grounds. Luke Jackson can play as a KPF, Blicavs can play wing/KPF/KPD, Lobb is a KPF, Marshall and Ryder both comfortable playing as a KPF, Nash at Hawthorn is a big bodied mid, etc.

Soldo isn't comfortable playing as a KPF, and you can't exactly play Nank there either, which was why I thought that Ryan might be a wild card in the next couple of weeks depending on Balta. Has had a strong block of VFL games, and is a natural ruck/KPF. More suited to the 2nd ruck role than Soldo.
Ryan is s**t
Needs a ton more time

He took him out intentionaly.

In a court of law - intention to cause grievest bodly harm is a crime.

If the afl is serious about protecting the players head stewart should get 12 weeks or it should immediately be refered to the law as a criminal offence for the courts to deal with it.
"I'm a good bloke but I made a mistake, despite what a good bloke I am. I didn't mean it, but it was a mistake. I feel just terrible about my mistake that knocked an opponent out off the ball, especially considering what a good bloke I am. Because I am such a good bloke I accept full responsibility for my actions and will accept whatever two week suspension the AFL deems fit, even though I didn't mean it, feel bad about it, and am a deadset good bloke."

I've watched the footage numerous times hence having the opinion that I do.

The game is played at high speed, with players coming at each other from 360 degrees and collisions like this happen from time to time. Stewart didn't go in swinging an arm. He tucked his arm in and made sure Prestia didn't get an easy knock on. I've seen Pickett in recent times deliver similar types of bumps and he, like Stewart will be, was rubbed out for making high contact. The difference is that Pickett didn't KO the opponent. I can understand the angst among my fellow Tigers as nobody likes to see our players getting hurt in circumstances like that, but it's the nature of the game that they play and tonights game was played with the highest intensity I've seen in a H&A game for a long time. At the end of the day Stewart will cop his whack from the tribunal and you'd expect at minimum 3 weeks, possibly 4 will be the penalty.

Instead of watching the slow motion version, watch the full speed version here where Stewart is in position to tackle Prestia if he takes possession and it's only when Prestia elects to knock the ball on that he makes the decision to bump.

If one of our players was to do the same thing that Stewart did tonight, I'd bet my last dollar that every one of us would be defending it, in fact you only have to go back to when Pickett got rubbed out for bumping Moore against Hawthorn. We all called it good tough play, but when an opponent does it to one of ours they're dirty snipers.
Nope Pickett bumped legally and got stiffed for potential to cause injury. Wasn't late at all. If Stewart was intending to tackle why wasn't he lower to the ground? Your argument doesn't stand up

When Stewart moves towards Prestia he doesn't know if Prestia is going to take possession or not, and if he stands back and waits to see if he does or not by then it's too late as someone with Prestias ability in tight is likely to get a clean disposal off before Stewart can impact so he acts immediately once the ball bounces in between them. It's the same with when Stack got Viney, when Stack started to head towards Viney he wasn't in possession, but by time Stack got there he has gained possession yet Stack chose to bump instead of tackle and unlike Stewart was fortunate that contact was made to Vineys shoulder rather than getting him high had he arrived a split second later.
Give it a rest mate. Nobody is with you cos none of your arguments are valid.

Great breakdown imo. All players toe a fine line when pressuring opponents away from the contest. Its a part of the game, one that makes it better in my opinion. Stewart F'd up, and he's going to get a holiday for it. Its not fair that he gets to play the game out, and Prestia doesn't. But red carding players for being clumsy isn't the way. Mebbe for cases like Gaff and Hall where its basically assault, but not for attempts at body contact that go high.
if you think that was just clumsy then just GFO

Nobody's suggesting red cards for being clumsy -- what is being suggested is a red card for an act that is clearly in breach of the rules and which takes an oppo. player out of the game.

Why being "clumsy" should be a defense here is beyond me. In sports that have red cards "clumsy" isn't a defense.

In any case, I think it's a stretch to say that Stewart was "just clumsy." By his own admission he chose to bump and the precedent there has been well and truly set - if a player chooses to bump then what happens next is entirely the responsibility of that player. Sure, he might not have executed that bump very well. But that's entirely on Stewart and whilst Chris Scott might think "oops" is an adequate response, it just doesn't serve to mitigate the impact on Prestia.

If the AFL were to introduce a red card rule I would have absolutely zero problem with Stewart being shown one for this incident -- and that's allowing for the very best possible interpretation of Stewart's intentions.

If it was 17 V 18 you can guarantee it will never happen again.
I would love to see if it was one of the monkeys at afl house amd it was their son on the receiving end, like prestia was, what the result would be for the offender like stewart.
The face it wasnt reported on the spot shows the umpires have now idea how to officiate or what the rules are. If you havent played the game you umpire the best was you can - take a guess because you have NFI.
I can’t remember did we even get a free out of it and a 50 ?

Really proud of how the players responded after losing Dion in the first quarter and falling 35 pts down. With a bit more composure at the end we would have pulled over one the club's greatest victories.

The umpires paying soft free to Geelong and missing obvious ones to us. That 50 paid against Ralphy was a joke. Hadn't paying any 50s for being late to the contest before that. That eased the pressure on Geelong and they scored immediately afterwards.

Good to see Taz and Ross step up for their best games of the season.

Back