Autopsy Roast and toast vs Geelong and changes for West Coast

Best

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm disappointed as hell, especially once I thought we had it won and done after MRJ kicked that goal but, I'm proud of how we we played considering everything thrown at us.

A lot of people know the impact Prestia's injury had on the result of the game but I don't they fully realize all the ramifications.

1. Prestia is out cold and suddenly we are one player down because we can't send someone on from the bench until he comes off. Geelong used that period to thread through our weakened zone and defense.

2. Prestia is out best contested and clearance player. He would be one of our most important players without a doubt due to his two way running and clever ball use. Suddenly, we have three quarters to try and win stoppages against a strong stoppage team, without our best midfielder.

3. We need to fill that hole at center square and around the ground. Baker is bought in from the backline where he has been so crucial of late. Stengle immediately begins to find the footy and take his chances.

4. Our midfield rotations are reduced because we have had to bring on Soldo who then can not be rested on the bench as much as planned.

So while the obvious impact of Prestia going off so earlier was losing his output at stoppages, the domino effect was huge. That is why I was amazed we were able to almost snatch the game. Like the Carlton game when Prestia went down the first game compared to when we played with him for the entirety of the game, next time we play Geelong we will win quite comfortably.

I think Dimma should be applauded for scrambling together a team having to make so many on the fly adjustments and tweaks to the game plan. This is without Cotchin and Lambert in the middle too.

I think we should see this game as a win. No one should hang their heads over the result. We just proved what a strong team we truly are and the rest of the competition will now know that we are coming hard for the flag. If we can put in that sort of preformance with those sort of obstacles, then watch out!
At a cafe in Greensborough,Collingwood bloke said we were robbed.
Everyone hates Geelong.

Woke up pissed off this morning

Might run full speed and knock out some unsuspecting bloke and say I didn't mean to, then steal a car and say I didn't mean to, then egg AFL House and say I didn't mean to.
exactly, according to scott you are still a great person and just made an error

watching 3rd Q. Ross doing good things
I switched the tv off after quarter time because I was so upset with what happened to Prestia. That hit was straight from the 80’s, the only difference being then it was fair play and would have been sorted out on the field.

Toying up now whether to watch the replay. I guess I will later in the week just to see all the positives you folk mention. Hard to believe we were 17 points up, that’s a 54 point turn around. Hurts to lose yet another from that position. Just have to hope our fitness and or finishing improve (wonder if the two are related)

So really the crux of your argument is that, in your opinion, which disregards all evidence pointing to the contrary, Stewart's hit was in the play and just a clumsy act? Despite providing this gem yourself:
1656168992798-png.1432901

which shows just how far away Stewart was at the point when Prestia disposed of it.

Christ man, we all make bad calls on here from time to time but this is like arguing with a flat earther.
Glad you replied , I didn’t know where to start!!

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier, but am I the only one a little bit surprised and disappointed that not one of our guys remonstrated with Stewart after he picked off Prestia? Even if nobody saw it when it happened surely they did during one of the breaks. I thought he may have been given a bit of extra attention after that.

Actually any attention at all would have been a big help in Stewart not being so influential during the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross and Baker AFL mids, leave them there.

So proud of the team. Such heart and guts.
This was the takeway for me. If you look at our backline and forward line we are competitors. Our weakness has always been our midfield. Last week we beat one of the best midfields in the competition based on a massive performance by our best clearance player in Prestia. This week we went without our next best clearance winner in Cotchin and Prestia was taken out in the first quarter. This led to the inevitable dominance by Geelong. But then Baker went in the middle and performed brilliantly. Also Ross, who I've never been a fan of to be honest, proved me wrong with a break-out performance. (And, as an aside, I have to give credit to all those who have posted in the past that he should be played in the middle and not the wing.) In the end, one rotation down, the boys ran out of gas, and the manic defensive pressure couldn't be maintained. But key lessons have been learned. Ross should be played, and played in the middle. Baker should be played in the middle. If we have Prestia and Cotchin available as well, we can match it in the middle and that makes us a contender. The rest is up to injuries.

After looking at the replay of the game I am disappointed at the lack of defensive focus on Stengle last night and our defence in general at times seems to have evaporated. Not blaming Grimes or even Tarrant. We could have used Stack I think and told him to shut down Stengle and do what you have to do.

At least from a horses for courses perspective Sydney Stack probably should have played I think

The umpires screwed us over though even with frees against us in the backline to Henry and close apart from
After looking at the replay of the game I am disappointed at the lack of defensive focus on Stengle last night and our defence in general at times seems to have evaporated. Not blaming Grimes or even Tarrant. We could have used Stack I think and told him to shut down Stengle and do what you have to do.

At least from a horses for courses perspective Sydney Stack probably should have played I think

The umpires screwed us over though even with frees against us in the backline to Henry and close apart from others
Is it me or is there some reason why Stack does not come into consideration for senior selection
Personally I think he is one of those players who play better at a higher level
We could have used his skills and aggression last night

I dont think there is a rule. Its at the discretion of the umpires on the day to determine a few factors; (not in any particular order)

1. Risk to the injured player,
2. Is the play in the immediate area of the injured player (impacting the game or increasing the risk to the already injured player)

If your looking for any AFL rule which might be relevant, check the blood rule. Game is stopped for that. Might offer some guidance.

Play should have been stopped while Prestia was on the ground KO'd. After that our trainers/doctors can (and have adequate time to assess and) make the choice to walk him off (at which point play should be restarted) or call the stretcher and play is suspended until Prestia is off the field.

I cant see how in any world those 3 umps havent already or arent getting torn a new arsehole at HQ on Monday
“A player who shows symptoms or any signs of concussion during a match or training must be removed from the field of play and assessed, and must not return to that match or training session.26 Apr 2021
https://www.afl.com.au/news/603238/statement-guidelines-for-concussion-management-in-community-football#:~:text=“A player who shows symptoms,that match or training session.

AFL regulations state:

34.9. Injured player exits the Playing Surface outside of the Interchange Gates In the case that a Player is injured on field and the Club Medical Officer determines that it is in the Player’s best interests to exit the Playing Surface outside of the Interchange Gates and take them directly to the club dressing rooms (whether by stretcher or not), the Club Interchange Steward must advise the AFL Interchange 108 Official of the situation including the name of the Player. The Emergency Umpire will communicate with the Field Umpire to stop play and once approved by the Emergency Umpire the replacement Player may enter the Playing Surface via the Interchange Gates. The injured Player who exited outside the Interchange Gates must not return to the Playing Surface unless declared fit by the Club’s Medical Officer and until 20 minutes of playing time, excluding breaks, has elapsed since the Player left the Playing Surface.

So that's how it might happen from an AFL point of view, either by stretcher or not Via the Club Medical Officer (CMO). Time for CMO to do this is an issue - the umpires were determined for play to continue.

More importantly, anyone know how Dion is going health wise at the moment? I hope that he is ok.

If you guys want sickening, read the comments on the K-Rock page asking how.many weeks Stewart will get. Disgusting. Here are some of the gems.

Screenshot_20220626-134752_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220626-135128_Facebook.jpg

View attachment 1433260

Now I have seen it all!

* right off. Yes, he has been a fair player, but he chose to hit a defenceless player. There must have been a thought there for him to act on it. Media trying to downplay this is why the league needs to get serious about head high hits.

All of this has been about how remorseful Stewart has been. Has there been a single article about how Prestia is feeling today? No.

It is disgraceful. The feelings of the perpetrator are worth more than the person he took out which is absolutely disgusting.

the question that should be asked of the umpires is why we're they so determine
“A player who shows symptoms or any signs of concussion during a match or training must be removed from the field of play and assessed, and must not return to that match or training session.26 Apr 2021
https://www.afl.com.au/news/603238/statement-guidelines-for-concussion-management-in-community-football#:~:text=“A player who shows symptoms,that match or training session.

AFL regulations state:

34.9. Injured player exits the Playing Surface outside of the Interchange Gates In the case that a Player is injured on field and the Club Medical Officer determines that it is in the Player’s best interests to exit the Playing Surface outside of the Interchange Gates and take them directly to the club dressing rooms (whether by stretcher or not), the Club Interchange Steward must advise the AFL Interchange 108 Official of the situation including the name of the Player. The Emergency Umpire will communicate with the Field Umpire to stop play and once approved by the Emergency Umpire the replacement Player may enter the Playing Surface via the Interchange Gates. The injured Player who exited outside the Interchange Gates must not return to the Playing Surface unless declared fit by the Club’s Medical Officer and until 20 minutes of playing time, excluding breaks, has elapsed since the Player left the Playing Surface.

So that's how it might happen from an AFL point of view, either by stretcher or not Via the Club Medical Officer (CMO). Time for CMO to do this is an issue - the umpires were determined for play to continue.

More importantly, anyone know how Dion is going health wise at the moment? I hope that he is ok.
the question that really needs to be asked is why were the umpires so determined for play to continue? if they were truly impartial then surely their duty of care to the injured player would override their decision making and it would not matter who had the ball at that time...

I dont think there is a rule. Its at the discretion of the umpires on the day to determine a few factors; (not in any particular order)

1. Risk to the injured player,
2. Is the play in the immediate area of the injured player (impacting the game or increasing the risk to the already injured player)

If your looking for any AFL rule which might be relevant, check the blood rule. Game is stopped for that. Might offer some guidance.

Play should have been stopped while Prestia was on the ground KO'd. After that our trainers/doctors can (and have adequate time to assess and) make the choice to walk him off (at which point play should be restarted) or call the stretcher and play is suspended until Prestia is off the field.

I cant see how in any world those 3 umps havent already or arent getting torn a new arsehole at HQ on Monday

I think you can see our trainers motion to an umpire looking in the general direction about 15-20 metres away to stop the game, but ignored by the umpire.

View attachment 1433260

Now I have seen it all!
Like Riewoldt's take on the incident & length of suspension:

Riewoldt believed Stewart faces over a month on the sidelines.
“It’s a bad one, there’s not really any redeemable quality or anything you can defend within the actions,”.

Back