Autopsy Roast and toast vs Geelong and changes for West Coast

Best

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Also this game is plain ******* obvious that jack Ross is a INSIDE MID. Don't play him on the wings ffs
This game will give young Ross enormous confidence in his own self belief moving forward. When our midfield is at full strength hopefully in the next few weeks, I'd play all of Cotch, Meatball and Ross in the guts while rotating Bolton, Baker for speed on the ball. By having this much ball winning ability I can see our stoppage and clearance work going through the roof in turn allowing us to play just the one ruck in Nank most games with Soldo as backup depending on the oppo. Having Balta back will be huge and Lambo I think should be our sub sometimes when fit to play. Think we need to use Lambo and Edwards smartly just to keep them able to get through games and hopefully rolling in the finals. Dimma has some interesting selection dilemmas the next block of 4 games I reckon.

Bit of an ill informed take there. Higgins has been injured/KO'd twice this year and still managed 19 goals in 8 1/2 games. Ditto Butler who had a bad ankle injury a few weeks back.

Butler was instrumental for us in '17 then started playing like a millionaire so there were reasons. St Kilda pretty much let him do the same thing and he proved to be a great get for them. Higgins is the one we've missed. His head stuff aside would definitely have him back, great little natural footballer.

Higgins was also just dropped for their most important game of the year.

I was at the game and unusually for me wasn’t really too upset with the result.
With several first 22 out, the cheap shot on Prestia and being asleep for the first 45 mins of the game, the fight in the group to almost snatch the game while enduring some of the most incredibly bias officiating you’ll ever see has proven to me at least we are still a very good side and at our best are still capable of winning finals games.
Proud of the courage to fight back against the odds even if we didn’t get the result
Go Tiges

Ok now hear this, I was right in front of the prestia hit, I was with 2 friends all 3 of us had no clue that Stewart knocked him out becouse we were watching the ball, so what I'm saying is
The ball was nowhere near prestia when he got sniped , so any argument of the ball being in prestias vicinity is out the window.
Was a good old fashioned shirt front, he lined him up and didn’t even attempt to go lower when making contact. Prestia was wide open and Stewart had plenty of time to stop the action, he chose to go through him.
this is exactly the type of thing that the Afl don’t want in the game. Poor act. Almost behind play, questionable if within 5 meters, all other players were focused on the ball. Suspect the cats had instructions to hit meatball at every opportunity.
6-8 weeks

Yeah the umpiring was ordinary, particularly #4 and #14. That said, I thought at 17 points up midway through the final quarter we had done enough to bring the win home. Sensible footy would still allow for a couple of opposition goals and that would be that. However, we seemed to go into some defensive reflex panic mode after the first goal to Geelong appeared and effective decision making went out the window for a couple of players. Lynch giving away that free after Jack had taken a great mark virtually in the goal square was not helpful. Then Daniel Rioli came up with a pair of poor options within 10 seconds of each other to allow Geelong to retain the ball. Lynch does play on the edge and that's fine until something game changing like Saturday afternoon happens. The Tom Stewart story will play itself out without any help from us but to spend any more time on it rather than addressing our own mistakes is just not productive.

Just a question with no ill intent, but are we playing Edwards just to get him to 300 games at this point?

Looked clean at times and showed a bit of his class, but still isn't doing it enough I don't think to warrant a walk up start.
Thought it was his best this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the VFL today, it's good to see we have a few blokes that have put multiple good performances in a row together. Stack's been BOG in his last two games and should replace Clarke up forward. Miller was again solid, and should come in for Gibcus, unless we decide to go smaller and in that case Mansell should come in.

In: Lambert Miller/Mansell Stack
Out: Prestia Gibcus Clarke Edwards

B: Grimes Tarrant Miller/Mansell
HB: D.Rioli Broad Vlastuin
C: McIntosh Short Pickett
HF: Stack Bolton Lambert
F: Riewoldt Martin Lynch
R: Nankervis Ross Baker
IC: Ralphsmith Soldo Graham M.Rioli
SUB: Edwards

After sleeping on it, I think we can be reasonably pleased at how well the team bounced back from significant adversity. The next generation of Short, Baker, Bolton are driving us and we aren't as heavily reliant on the old guard, except up forward. We ran out of gas at the end and that is only natural being effectively down a rotation.

However, these losses put us right behind the 8 ball in terms of making a genuine top 4 tilt. Now we need other results to go our way. We can realistically only afford one more loss from here.

Lastly, Geelong can get nuked. I'd go to the footy to pelt them with rotten tomatoes. Just a dirty, dirty club.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it me or is there some reason why Stack does not come into consideration for senior selection
Personally I think he is one of those players who play better at a higher level
We could have used his skills and aggression last night
Perplexing to say the least why Stack is not getting a game ahead of Ralph Smith, especially given the latter's poor form recently and our injuries to in and unders like Cotchin and Lambert. Ralph Smith is purely a receiver with poorer vision and skills than Stack.

Mansell is a tough solid defender who could have locked down Stengle. We certainly have depth in the 2's.

With a full list we are top 2 no doubt equal with Melbourne. With injuries our match committee needs to be smarter covering holes in the list.

Hopefully all these narrow losses will steel the team like in 2017, though I don't recall giving up big leads to lose games in 2017.

Out - Clarke unlucky but very quite, Prestia , Edwards

In - Cotch Cumberland George ( if lambert not fit)

Soldo on the bench , Ralphsmith the sub.

After watching today's VFL, Both or one of these two below need to come in to replace Clarke. I'd also have Miller come in to replace Gibcus

Stack - 16 disposals, 1 goal and 8 tackles
Cumberland - 15 disposals, 4 goals
Notable mentions to Aarts 23 disposals and 2 goals and Castagna 3 goals and 9 tackles.

OUTS: Clarke, Gibcus, Prestia (concussion)
INS: Cotchin or Lambert if fit. Stack or Cumberland, Miller
Out - Clarke unlucky but very quite, Prestia , Edwards

In - Cotch Cumberland George ( if lambert not fit)

Soldo on the bench , Ralphsmith the sub.
Think Cotchin be at least another week away
Hopefully they do not put Aarts back in

If Cotch still out I’d go Stack in then.

Vlastin Taz Grimes
Broad Gibcus Rioli
Pickett Short Kmac
Cumberland Jack Maurice
Dusty Tom Bolton
Soldo Ross Baker
Nank Stack Graham George

Ralphsmith the sub

Back